Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damp shed wall

Options
  • 03-10-2019 7:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi folks recently got a shed built and the back wall is shared between myself and neighbor but his garden is higher ground level than mine.... This is leading to damp creeping through on my back wall at his ground level.... Any help greatly appreciated as I haven't a clue how to go about sorting this...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Up Donegal

Edk008 wrote: »
    Hi folks recently got a shed built and the back wall is shared between myself and neighbor but his garden is higher ground level than mine.... This is leading to damp creeping through on my back wall at his ground level.... Any help greatly appreciated as I haven't a clue how to go about sorting this...

How high is his ground level above your floor level?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Edk008

Around 3 foot above my shed floor level I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I think you're going to need to talk nicely to your neighbour about trenching along that wall on his side and at least putting in some drainage (e.g. pea gravel over French drain) to relieve the hydrostatic pressure which is forcing moisture through the shed wall.

Not entirely clear whether the boundary wall existed before the shed, or whether the shed created the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Up Donegal

Lumen wrote: »
    I think you're going to need to talk nicely to your neighbour about trenching along that wall on his side and at least putting in some drainage (e.g. pea gravel over French drain) to relieve the hydrostatic pressure which is forcing moisture through the shed wall.

Not entirely clear whether the boundary wall existed before the shed, or whether the shed created the wall.

I agree with Lumen.
    Also, if the neighbour allows you to make a drain, why not ask if you could plaster the wall from foundation to ground level on his side at the back of your shed. That, along with the drain, should leave you safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Edk008

Thanks for the advice... The wall was already there and he built his shed off it first now I have...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

How is the run off from the shed roofs being dealt with?

Advertisement