Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My '72 Challenger project

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Daved_XB

Got a call when I was away for work last week to tell me that my parts had arrived & where ready to be collected… happy days… so I headed out this week with the trailer & got my boxes of happiness…

IMG_2936_zpsjwl7xqi1.jpg

I’ve unboxed everything to make sure that I have everything I need & to ensure that nothing is damaged, because my old grille was held on with rivets I decided to get a new one to fit correctly to the car when I get to that stage of reassembly, my parts catalog for YearOne is from 2011 & so some things have changed over time… for example back in 2011 you could get the grille in silver or black… now it’s silver only, so that’s what I got… not an issue as I’ll be re-spraying the car anyway

IMG_2935_zpsvthnbykx.jpg

You may recall that there were a few tiny rust bubbles on the bottom of the doors, I won’t know how bad that is until I strip the paint off, so I ordered a set of lower rust repair panels to use depending on how bad the rust is… to be honest it looks like nothing… but a good coat of paint could be hiding anything…

IMG_2941_zpsxabvwp14.jpg

The drivers floor section has a patchy fiberglass repair on it, so I have a new repair panel to go in

IMG_2942_zpsmi7anold.jpg

There are some bad rust bubbles on the driver’s side lower sill, just in front of the rear wheel, so I have full sill replacements now for both sides

IMG_2945_zpsvraaigqt.jpg

I’ve never been happy with either the front or rear valence panels on the car, they are bent & dented a little too much for my liking, so I got a new set…

IMG_2944_zpscqljpvxy.jpg

Of course let’s not forget the big bit… my shiny new perfect firewall panel… it looks great, so happy with the quality of all the bits really…

IMG_2938_zpsnhudly9o.jpg

Now I probably could have reused my old cowl section to go back on top the firewall when I replaced it… but I’ve gone this far so no point in cutting corners now… so I have a shiny new cowl too

IMG_2937_zpshzqdmr8i.jpg

Together they look like this….

IMG_2939_zpsyz8szbrz.jpg

I also got new side sections that join the firewall to the floor pan.. again who knows if I actually need them, but I’d rather have them here & not need them that need them & not have them…

IMG_2940_zpsnjejvfdq.jpg

Now I just have to wait until I have a full weekend free so that I can fire up the plasma cutter & the grinders & cut all of the cancer out of the old girl…. I’m a combination of excited & ****ing terrified at the same time.. I know that this will be best Challenger that I could ever make when I’m done, but the amount of metal that I still have to cut out is pretty epic… there is more of the car in the parts/scrap pile right now that there is on the hoist…

IMG_2946_zpscagzuxa9.jpg

I’ve also decided that whilst I have the dash out that I would fit a VintageAir air conditioner system to the car, I’ve read some good reviews & I know firsthand just how hot a black on black muscle car gets in the Australian sun on a summers day… so I have a non-factory air con car… this is not a worry as VintageAir make a system for both factory & non-factory air cars…. So the system I need would have a new slim line panel that attaches to the bottom of my existing dash to provide the 4 x aircon vents needed, great… suits me… then I saw that the kit then comes with a 22” condenser to fit the non-factory air cars radiator opening as opposed to the 26” one for factory air cars…. Wait, what…. There is a difference???

Turns out that I didn’t know that the factory air cars run a 26” radiator…. That got me thinking, I know I had a 22” rad & opening on the sheet metal that I cut off… but I didn’t remember having a size option when I was ordering the new inner fender sections & top & bottom radiator supports…. So out came my trusty measuring tape…. Turns out that they only make one size for the new sheet metal sections & that is the 26” opening….

Bugger… that means that my original 22” radiator that I had flushed, cleaned & pressure tested won’t fit….. so guess I’m off now to order a shiny new 26” rad & the larger 9” fan that goes with it… This also makes it a little hard to just order the vintage air kit as a complete kit… because I now need the dash/behind dash parts for the non-factory air Challenger & I need the brackets, lines & compressor to match… but then I need the correct 26” front condenser for a factory air car as that’s the front end I have now… hopefully if I call someone at Vintage Air I can explain this to them in a simply way so that I get all the right bits…

It’s been a while since I’ve updated this… things are happening, just not as quickly as I would have liked.. but it’s my own fault, I’m travelling a lot for work & I refuse to let my panel beater mate work on the car without me there helping & learning, but I won’t rush things or do things half arsed if I can help it, so it is what it is….

First up was removing the center console, fairly simple step really… remove the shifter handle & then the top plate screws off, I noticed that this plate is bent a bit & the finish on it is pretty tatty.. so I’ll probably replace that

IMG_3082_zps0dmwckf4.jpg

IMG_3083_zpsvpvy7vi9.jpg

With the top plate off I can get to the screws that hold the console in, most of the retaining holes are snapped off & it has always wobbled about as a result & it has lots of extra speed holes drilled into the sides from years of CB/Radio/Phone kit installs I guess, so I figure I’ll replace this too whilst I’m at it.

IMG_3084_zpsz47gpppo.jpg

Now you may remember that I had that one wiper arm that I couldn’t get off as it had been glued on using some bonding material of unknown origin, so I had no option but to cut that off in the end…

IMG_3088_zpsjxxxfbdx.jpg

Now, let me introduce you to my new fave tool…. The humble spot weld drill bit, these little buggers are fantastic for what they do, the premise is simple they are flat so that you can just drill through the spotweld in the top panel & not drill through the second panel, now sometimes they do bite in & in the panel is thin they just rip through both… but all in all they are very easy to use, sadly rust seems to blunt them quicker than good metal & they are not the cheapest little things..

IMG_3087_zpshl1ytkuc.jpg

I just realised that I never took a pic of the process that I used to peel the panels apart… but it goes like this:

Find spotweld
    Drill out the spotweld being careful not to drill through both panels
    Once all the welds are drilled, get a cold chisel place it against the seam of the two panels you want to separate (between two of the drilled spotwelds)
    Belt chisel with a hammer & it will lift the two panels apart, then just chisel & lift as you work your way around the panel

First thing I did was to grind back the paint on the panels to clearly show me where all the spot welds where.. the “placement” of spot welds show me that this car was clearly build by Roberts & not by Robots.. some didn’t even join the panels..

IMG_3086_zpszngrmbum.jpg

Then drill them out

IMG_3085_zpssdqym1sn.jpg

Then peel back the panel using the hammer & chisel

IMG_3089_zpsovzfatwf.jpg

Once you’ve made it all the way around the panel you’d be amazed how easily it all comes apart… so now the old Upper Cowl is off

IMG_3092_zpswqlsiwp1.jpg

IMG_3093_zpshfjqi7mt.jpg

There is a lot of crap that lives under the cowl that lead to pinholes in the metal, no wonder the car leaked in the rain on this side

IMG_3090_zpspbgtpe0q.jpg

Next up was to work my way around the firewall its self, drilling out spotwelds almost like I knew what I was doing… again I can’t believe how easy this actually was to remove..

IMG_3094_zpspppbpknf.jpg

What have I done…. I realise it’s a bit late for this sentiment… but no going back now

IMG_3097_zpsttiecrre.jpg

Now that that was out of the way, it was time to look at the driver’s side floor that seems to have a layer of fiberglass on it… peeling back the fiberglass I can see that it’s just fine… no repairs needed here…

IMG_3095_zpsys7zlmyn.jpg

IMG_3096_zpsc4kwzwpz.jpg

So out with the plasma cutter again & decided to fix this bit whist I have no firewall in my way, luckily I preempted this & I already had the floor repair sections

IMG_3099_zpswt06zk6e.jpg

IMG_3100_zpsxkgvvtci.jpg

The repair sections are great quality, I’m really happy with the fit of them….. this is the new floor being fettled to fit the hole I cut

IMG_3104_zpst7sqfalj.jpg

IMG_3105_zpsiuddfu8c.jpg

IMG_3110_zpswzrmel69.jpg

The pile of crap removed is growing…

IMG_3144_zpslb3chgia.jpg

IMG_3145_zpsqarobdrx.jpg

Also used this time to remove the smaller sections that I had patch panels for… again can’t say enough for the quality of these parts, they fit almost perfectly & at most need a tiny tap with a hammer to get they lined up 100%

IMG_3125_zpsv9io2mot.jpg

IMG_3108_zps8gaqbwzz.jpg

Next up was to offer up the new firewall & see how much “massaging” if any this would need to fit…

IMG_3109_zpsdgr4gyuw.jpg

This trail fitment went far better that I had ever expected it too… I had envisioned many hours of me cursing & throwing tools around & regretting having ever started this stupid repair attempt… I have a spot welder, but when we tested it, it really wasn’t working…

IMG_3147_zps9r3y3yzt.jpg

IMG_3138_zpsmlwd4fji.jpg

So we decided that plug welds where the way to go… so next up where for me to mark out & predrill the holes for the plug welds (basically picked the spot between the old spot welds)

IMG_3119_zpsp0jdhivh.jpg

IMG_3121_zpsxkeyejbt.jpg

IMG_3122_zpszxzh4eqx.jpg

• Advertisement

There was a lot of surface rust on the panels & brackets that lived behind the firewall

IMG_3112_zpsqszff2qj.jpg

IMG_3114_zpse0hbtxqx.jpg

& also on the edge that joins & the firewall will be welded too

IMG_3113_zpskn10urd9.jpg

So some time was spent buffing it all back with the grinder & coating everything that I won’t be able to access with rust converter & preventer

IMG_3116_zpsypxmcfbo.jpg

IMG_3115_zpstixwmkcl.jpg

Also took this moment to unpick what was left of the passenger side chassis rail, using the same drill spot welds & chisel the seams approach..

IMG_3124_zpswt2mtzpb.jpg

IMG_3123_zps9cft732u.jpg

IMG_3128_zpshwsut1c2.jpg

There was a tiny bit of rust at the front lip of the passenger floor, but it didn’t justify cutting out the whole floor to replace it, so I just did a patch repair here

IMG_3130_zpskzibpele.jpg

IMG_3131_zps0cj3gaor.jpg

Then the day came to offer up the firewall, this would be a two stage process… step one was to bond the panel to the car using a Sikaflex bonding agent, so we put a layer of Sikaflex around the panel edge

IMG_3132_zpsxszevkbc.jpg

Then we clamped the firewall on… it’s a bit fiddly to get it all lined up perfectly… but again I cannot speak highly enough of these new panels… luckily between me & my mate we had enough clamps… just.. note to self, next time you see clamps on special buy them all…

IMG_3133_zpso5m4jhks.jpg

IMG_3135_zps5usm048g.jpg

This was then left for a week for the Sikaflex to fully cure before the clamps where removed

IMG_3136_zpsk18xsqvj.jpg

Then I had to go around & remove the Sikaflex from within all of the pre-drilled holes that needed to be plug welded, to be honest that was the worst job of all so far in this whole process… once that was done then we plug welded each hole… then we started to test fit the upper cowl panel to ensure that that would be a perfect fit too

IMG_3140_zpsij43q1dw.jpg

IMG_3139_zpsevgllkjt.jpg

Took this time to mark out where the cowl panel will be welded to the firewall, then buffed off the paint where the welding would happen & ground back the welds on the firewall to be flush like a spot weld would have been

IMG_3149_zpsako4xzmn.jpg

IMG_3150_zpswza1jtgk.jpg

I’ve also predrilled & dressed the cowl panel in prep for its impending union with the firewall

IMG_3146_zpsvrmf4xlw.jpg

IMG_3151_zpsx96gcgra.jpg

Now not wanting to get ahead of ourselves… but we did also start looking at just how the installation of the chassis rails & inner fenders would go.. the biggest issue here will be the weight, this will be double as we will use the K-Frame to join the two sides together & probably weld in the front rad supports too so that we know we have the rails perfect… so offering that lot up to the car will be fun I’m sure… but we’ll cross that bridge when we get to it..

Test fitting shows that these panels are also bloody good (have I mentioned that yet?)

IMG_3141_zpswntabkkx.jpg

IMG_3142_zpsdoeoccrg.jpg

IMG_3143_zpscjum7wmh.jpg

So now we are up to date again… this is how she sits now, not sure if I’ll get to do anything this weekend or not… but hopefully I can get the cowl on if nothing else…

IMG_3150_zpswza1jtgk.jpg

Another quick update… good progress was made on the weekend here, it was time to mock up the front chassis rails for fitment to the car.

The process I used was to bolt back on the K-Frame to the two chassis rails & then to measure all the datum points that I had taken of the gaps between the original rails prior to cutting them off. I didn’t take a pic of them (I think I need an official photographer at this stage) but the large bolts that mount the K-Frame have a tapered shoulder so when they are tightened up they center the K-frame on the chassis rails. Once the K-Frame was tightened up the gaps where almost spot on front & rear. Then we fitted up the front upper & lower rad supports to tie that section together again to the same measurement specs that we had taken from the original piece before removal. This was a very fiddly process that took a long time with lots & lots of measuring distances & angles & lots of tapping of things to get an angle or measurement spot on that of course then put another angle or measurement out… but after what seemed like several hours we had this…

IMG_3153_zps1fawoyyb.jpg

Then I bolted & welded my engine leveler to the k-Frame & used my engine hoist to get the whole assembly up in the air, this made it very easy to move around & the leveler made it very easy to set the angle of the structure to the angle that the car is on.. once we moved it into place we were able to position & clamp the chassis rails where they have to connect onto the existing sub-frames.. again several rounds of measuring & checking & taping & re-measuring & re-tapping where required.. then as we got each piece to the exact location it needed to be we started to put some tack welds on to stop things moving as we fettled the large frame on.. we also took this time to test fit the windscreen & I’m happy to say that we have the exact same gap all around the screen that the original had to within .5mm.. I never got a pic of the window in as I wasn’t taking a lot of brakes to capture the moment.. but this is the frame tacked on

IMG_3154_zpsktrzlgth.jpg

IMG_3156_zpsodyknyre.jpg

IMG_3159_zpsqr8mxmsm.jpg

It was finally starting to look like a car again…

IMG_3160_zpsiiitlkai.jpg

IMG_3162_zpshrunaz7v.jpg

Next up was to test fit the guards/fenders/wings (name depends on your geo location I guess) to ensure that everything was exactly where it needed to be prior to actually committing to welding everything up

IMG_3164_zpsm4ftazuo.jpg

IMG_3165_zpseuqu7mp2.jpg

IMG_3167_zpsomf2fi18.jpg

IMG_3166_zps9val20cn.jpg

Then it was several hours of plug welding the parts together, I’ve also started to do some stitch welding in specific high stress spots for additional strength even though Dodge never though it needed from the factory I have the access now so may as well do it..

IMG_3161_zps7xbxifhh.jpg

Then it was finally time to let the welds take the weight & remove the engine hoist… we then spent a long time re-measuring every angle & datum point that we had ever taken so we could be sure to be sure as it where that the front was on correctly (or at least as badly as the original factory build was)… so now I think that I can officially start calling it a car again…

IMG_3171_zpsdotrtlji.jpg

IMG_3172_zpszyrc8f4e.jpg

IMG_3173_zpsud4wm827.jpg

I can’t begin to describe the feeling of relief I had when I got to stand back & look at the car re-assembled, this was such a massive job even for an expert let alone for someone as talentless as me, there is still a long was to go with painting & bolting all the bits back on & there is some rust in the rear wheel area… but all of that is child’s play compared to what I’ve just done…. Thanks to everyone for following along & for the kind words of encouragement along the way…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

This is just simply epic. I can't even begin to imagine the feeling of pride you must feel at the moment man. And still managing to do this while moving house? Just simply amazing.

I love getting the email notification letting me know there's an update to this thread.

Keep up the phenomenal work man. You're so very nearly there.

This is just simply epic. I can't even begin to imagine the feeling of pride you must feel at the moment man. And still managing to do this while moving house? Just simply amazing.

I love getting the email notification letting me know there's an update to this thread.

Keep up the phenomenal work man. You're so very nearly there.

Thanks man... yeah, the feeling of pride is pretty high right now, sadly the rest of the updates on this one will seem small & simple now as I'm just putting her back together & painting... although there is some rust in the rear wheel arch & well that could see me replacing the whole rear Qtr... so you never know....

• Registered Users Posts: 47 vrrv

This is unreal!!! I love it!!! Well done and keep it up!!

Not much of an update, but a little I guess… this is a busy time for me with work & I’ve been away travelling so I’ve not had a weekend home to be in the shed for a while now & I think I’ll have all of this weekend to play but that might be it for the year as I have a trip coming up again in 2 weeks..

So the other night I decided to clean up all the behind the dash brackets & peddle assemblies that I would be reusing in the car… they all had a lot of surface rust on them & just looked generally crap..

IMG_3174_zpsb3hs3o5d.jpg

I started to sand them back lightly to remove the rust

IMG_3176_zpsxlnebltz.jpg

IMG_3177_zpsai4dd8rw.jpg

Then when I was done I treated them all with a rust converter/preventer & then painted them all black, you won’t really see them but at least now they are all clean

IMG_3179_zps4vpvpdet.jpg

Then because I was bored I decided to peel back the paint/bog that I knew was just in front of the rear wheels, you may remember the close up pics I’d taken of these sections a few posts ago…. So the driver’s side looked the worst & upon inspection it’s pretty bad… the panel has split where the sill meets the rear Qtr

IMG_3180_zpseu3aq6sw.jpg

IMG_3182_zpsplzjfnbj.jpg

Now I already have a complete new sill panel so I can use that for repairs, but sadly they don’t make a patch panel for the rear Qtr for this front of the wheel section…. They do make the rear section, so I got two of them just in case…

IMG_3186_zpsfgr1za58.jpg

The passenger side isn’t too bad I guess, but there is still a little more rust that I would like here…

IMG_3183_zpsowb6aole.jpg

IMG_3185_zpsfqjnvj1y.jpg

Now I didn’t get any pics of it (will do later) but there is a some bog in the outer sides of the boot floor I noticed & on the inner panel that joins the boot floor to the rear Qtr.. I didn’t have the time or the heart to start digging to see how bad that is, so I just decided that it’s better to have the new panels handy in case I need them… so I got a set

IMG_3187_zpsx98wbzow.jpg

IMG_3189_zpshtrvk2lw.jpg

Then I decided, feck it & I got a whole new boot floor too…. I opted for the two separate halves option as I’m told the one piece floor is a bugger to install if you don’t remove the rear Qtrs & I really don’t want to so that…

IMG_3190_zps7xyw7djw.jpg

I hope that I don’t need to use all of these new panels & there is only patches that need to be cut out & replaced, but as you’ve probably guessed by now I don’t do things by half, so whatever needs to be done I’ll do… & who knows maybe one day I’ll even be finished….

So this will be the last update for the year I think, due to travel, work & the holiday season I don’t think I’ll see the inside of the garage properly until 2016 now…

The small details/finishing off bits of attaching a new front end seemed to take longer to sort out that the big chunks did…. Lots of support brackets had to be pre-drilled, fettled & fitted

IMG_3191_zpsxkoyrbvz.jpg

IMG_3192_zpssniumevg.jpg

IMG_3194_zps32twfish.jpg

I also decided that just because the car was built in the factory using only spot welds did not mean that I had to do the same with my build, so I’ve added a lot of stitch welds to the car in the sections that I feel would be under stress, I figure it can’t hurt to make it a better mouse trap whilst I’m at it

IMG_3198_zpsbzd9te58.jpg

A big chunk of time was taken to play with the guard & bonnet fitment before welding in the top radiator support bracket to ensure that everything fits nicely again & all the gaps are good

IMG_3200_zps78tmzqef.jpg

IMG_3203_zpsf6syrv5p.jpg

IMG_3204_zpsv4fer0pk.jpg

Lots of messing about, but in the end we got it to a point that the panel gaps will be good & all the body lines are straight & aligned.. so happy days

IMG_3206_zpsgb2lacsz.jpg

IMG_3207_zpsdkx2acj9.jpg

Now you may remember that when I was taking the front off the car & unbolted the nose that it snapped off where it had been bonded to the driver’s side guard… well here’s a refresher pic anyway…

IMG_2715_zpsbzpcg5vg.jpg

Well I cut that little bit of front off so I could re-fiberglass it back onto the front nose & what did I find behind it…. A ********ton of bog…

IMG_3208_zpsdjylm2mw.jpg

Now I know what you’re thinking, how much bog on a flat panel surface is considered a ********ton…. Try the best part of 10mm

IMG_3209_zpsy7cew3tn.jpg

Now the bonnet is also not really perfect either, it’s got more of a curve in the passenger side than it does on the driver’s side & some of the support bracing underneath is cracked

IMG_3210_zps5wzsfmoe.jpg

So I’ll do some soul searching over Xmas & decide if I fit what I’ve got or just buy new panels & not fix these ones… my concern would be just how bad are then one I have them blasted back to bare metal…

I was having a real hard time with the bonnet, it just didn’t seem to want to shut properly & I couldn’t figure it out as I’m using brand new hinges… well it turned out that the new drivers side hinge is fouling in 3 spots, not on the bonnet, not on the inner guard but on itself… first the spring end fouls on the bracket

IMG_3211_zpsqcw3kufc.jpg

Then the upright support is too thick & it sticks right between two of the coils of the spring

IMG_3212_zpsp3tgjzyg.jpg

IMG_3214_zpsjoa5rm6q.jpg

& finally the stopper tab is too large & it also fouls on the spring…

IMG_3215_zpsn74zwvba.jpg

So that’s another issue to sort later, there is an aftermarket set of billet hinges that uses struts & not springs that I might opt for… we’ll see how good Santa is too me I guess…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

Thanks for all the enjoyment with all these posts Dave. And you know the billet hinges just make sense....

Anyway, have a good Christmas Dave.

Right it’s been a while since I updated this thread, work has been ongoing but I’ve just been slack at the thread updating part of this…

I got sick of looking at the vinyl roof on the car so I decided it was time to rip that off, plus I’ve grown tired of nobody believing me that the roof under there is fine, so I undid all the side bright work so I could peal the top off

IMG_3216_zpsnakubgnt.jpg

IMG_3217_zpsiu9exqap.jpg

Then with the trim removed from the rear window I was able to simply peel the roof off, interestingly the passenger side was really well glued on, but there was little to nothing holding down the driver’s side, I suspect that the glue had gone off before that side was being pushed down… no wonder it was peeling up, definitely an example of how not to install a vinyl roof…

IMG_3219_zps13zuhp4n.jpg

IMG_3218_zpsjkyfiqmf.jpg

IMG_3224_zpshbjn09bi.jpg

The roof whilst sticky now in large parts, looks great.. no damage or rust, in fact the guy that installed it never even scored up the paint to give the glue something to bond too… unfortunately the chrome trim than ran around the base of the roof was installed correctly using the pop in clips & I now have a collection of small holes that I don’t want & will have to fill…

IMG_3227_zpsgiowsjow.jpg

IMG_3225_zpsvu2avcun.jpg

IMG_3226_zpscaztudoq.jpg

With the vinyl roof off there are actually some nice lines in the roof that you really couldn’t see, the angle that the roof slopes down towards the rear window is much more pronounced now

IMG_3250_zpsttxbgxb9.jpg

Also the curve at the base of the roof where it joins the roof looks so much better with the vinyl & the chrome trim there… looking forward to see it in shiny paint eventually…

IMG_3252_zps38yynbsx.jpg

Now I’d bit the bullet & had ordered a new bonnet & a pair of new front guards (come on you all knew I would) so whilst I was waiting for them & some other bits to arrive I decided to cheer myself up by finally having a real close look at just home bad the back end of this car was… & no, you won’t be disappointed…. First up I went through pulling away all the sealant, which in turn revealed either bog of fiberglass which when removed revealed… well you can see here..

A speed hole on the passenger side rear inner wheel arch

IMG_3222_zpsmjs8vedf.jpg

IMG_3221_zpskr2kb5ks.jpg

A matching on for the driver’s side

IMG_3220_zpsbb67uwqs.jpg

Then a line of them across the rear lights, I assume these are to let the air out that the other two let in…

IMG_3223_zpsosr6lhri.jpg

So next task was to start pulling the back end apart to give me full access with the no doubt needed cutters & grinders etc.. so Boot lid off, this panel looks like it might be ok.. might actually get to keep an original panel after all

IMG_3228_zpsofqxsmzr.jpg

Taillights out… more of the rust issues clearly shown now..

IMG_3230_zpskbw9xhkr.jpg

IMG_3231_zpsdmwl08wt.jpg

Getting the rear bumper off needed the rear valence to come off & getting that off was a nightmare, most of the bolts had welded themselves on… luckily I have a new valance panel to go on, so I didn’t have to use much care with removing the old one

IMG_3232_zpstjysjns3.jpg

IMG_3233_zps3crhsxdi.jpg

IMG_3235_zpsfmsg2mdq.jpg

• Advertisement

Next up was fuel tank removal… nice & easy really, just supported it with my transmission jack, undid the straps & lowered it down out of the way…

IMG_3237_zps6j6dxydz.jpg

IMG_3239_zpslih0kkkk.jpg

Now with the tank out of the way you can see where someone has had a go at putting in a new boot floor here before, now instead of removing the whole floor looks like they decided to only replace the back half of the floor, as you would expect a halfarsed job was done on this…

IMG_3240_zpsof7emadd.jpg

IMG_3241_zpsmgqdzepn.jpg

Next up was to pull the bumper off, that would then show the extend of the rot behind… yeah it’s pretty bad… guess who’s buying more repair panels from the US…

IMG_3244_zpssqrc4sjr.jpg

IMG_3249_zpsemelqwo6.jpg

There was also a little bubble on top corner of the boot channel, nothing too big

IMG_3247_zpsp0fsdicb.jpg

Also bought a new tool… a door jack to make the removal & refit of the doors a one man job (in theory)

IMG_3256_zpsbdywoww7.jpg

Now for the fun bit… I get to play with the plasma cutter again, out with the old floor(s)

IMG_3253_zpsdegetoxd.jpg

IMG_3254_zpssu1pjyel.jpg

See these floor braces… not happy with how they look either, lots of surface rust…. So out they go too

IMG_3257_zpsypxiq9y3.jpg

I’m also not mad on the look of the two rear chassis legs here… I’ll clean them up & see what I think, but down be shocked if later on I replace them too

IMG_3258_zpstukzlgtm.jpg

IMG_3259_zps73k01wfk.jpg

Before I can go much further with the back end, I need to get the back end up in the air & the wheels off so I can have much better access for working… so to do this, the front wheels have to go back on as the hoist only has one jack, so I decided to reinstall the old suspension & wheels so I can limit any damage/splatter on the new kit

IMG_3265_zpsj7eugraz.jpg

IMG_3264_zpsijxmydwr.jpg

First time I’ve seen the car on four wheels in a long time now….

IMG_3266_zpswbesy5ep.jpg

Definitely easier to work up under the arches with the wheels & brakes out of the way…

IMG_3269_zpsoujh346f.jpg

I started playing with the general fitment of the new two piece boot floor, it fits great, very little work will be needed here to get this in right

IMG_3272_zpstgmqxu4v.jpg

Also the boot sides look like they will fit like a dream too… again very happy with the quality of the parts I can get for this car, means even I can do some of this…

IMG_3273_zpsjv9ol7hs.jpg

It seems that someone had installed… well that’s a strong word to use, someone had inserted an additional set of inner boot sides between the rear Qtr & the existing boot floor sides… looks like they literally belted them in place with a hammer & then wedged them in place with old cut up spanners… I can only assume that the mechanical genius here went on to work in F1 or for NASA, if not I’m sure you’ll agree that they are a wasted talent…

IMG_3274_zpsx0ozfzwx.jpg

IMG_3276_zpskpt3kmu0.jpg

IMG_3277_zps7qkhmi24.jpg

I opted to just cut the Qtr panel to get the stupid old floor out in the end as that particular Qtr panel has a few bad spots & I can see a full replacement panel in its future to be honest…..

IMG_3275_zpsppxiscc6.jpg

I needed to drop the rear springs down to give me more room & to take the strain off the rear chassis rails as I start playing around back here, so first up I cut the exhaust off as it wasn’t designed to be bolted off the car in pieces

IMG_3303_zpsioqmdafn.jpg

Then I was able to use my trusty transmission jack to take the weight of the diff to allow me to unbolt the end shackles & disconnect the rear springs

IMG_3306_zpsqcr0xpre.jpg

IMG_3307_zpsqloxtrhd.jpg

IMG_3308_zpsqjwhvepy.jpg

In other news I’ve had some shiny new parts arrive, I had my new billet bonnet hinges turn up…. They look the part for sure, hopefully they function as well as they look

IMG_3278_zpsuhsyydek.jpg

IMG_3279_zpsrcaubnod.jpg

IMG_3291_zpswuhgygh2.jpg

IMG_3292_zpskuj5dfbh.jpg

Also my Vintage Air AC system has arrived, it looks like a really neat piece of kit, the behind dash heater core looks to be the same if not slightly smaller than the old unit it’s replacing

IMG_3319_zpsjmo6qbfi.jpg

The new dash piece looks stock & all the lines & brackets look the go too

IMG_3318_zpsseaq4tu5.jpg

IMG_3315_zps6j17beij.jpg

IMG_3314_zps6e37nu5o.jpg

The only downside I can see is the actual compressor unit, it has rear facing inlet & outlet ports & that just won’t work with the Six Pack intake that I have… so I’ll need to speak to the guys at Vintage Air & see what can be done there as I had clearly told them that I has a Six Pack car when ordering…. I’ve done some googling & the same compressor can be gotten with side mounted outlets so I’m confident that it’s a simple swap out so no big dramas really…

IMG_3310_zpshojysajt.jpg

IMG_3311_zpsbe9a4ikw.jpg

My new Bonnet turned up & it looks pretty bloody good.. there are some slight imperfections towards the front where the crease line for the central bulge runs down, I suspect that this is a stamping crease line & that they all have them… it’s nothing major & a tiny skim of filler (or a 2nd coat of high fill) will cover it up.. my panel beater wants to massage it out a bit more before we get to the filler stage, but it’s such a small imperfection I not fussed

IMG_3293_zpsrzipzip3.jpg

IMG_3294_zpswkyc6may.jpg

A new set of door hinges too….

IMG_3282_zpsdabuo5jo.jpg

The new guards also turned up & they look great,

IMG_3286_zpschkqj2dh.jpg

IMG_3285_zpsxzv36n4e.jpg

IMG_3284_zpsdfojsfph.jpg

The only thing I would have liked to see on them is the holes for the side gills pre-drilled… so now I’ll have to go google the exact measurements needed for their placement…

IMG_3289_zps9sekkvcr.jpg

IMG_3290_zpstmrgtcsd.jpg

Also these guards have the cutouts for the side marker lights to be installed in, now my car never had them when I got it.. both the front & the rear side marker holes where covered up & I think that I’ve really grown to like the smooth lines that that gave to the side profile of the car so I think that I’ll cover them up on the new guards too

IMG_3288_zpsfmlqafyd.jpg

IMG_3287_zpsd8i1uern.jpg

So this is how she looks from the front now with my freshly repaired front nose on with the new sheet metal…. The front of this is really looking like a car now… happy days

IMG_3297_zpszbq3nfss.jpg

IMG_3296_zpsoaqgjod2.jpg

IMG_3295_zpst7bj2ucl.jpg

IMG_3301_zpswea0qemi.jpg

IMG_3302_zps6tspvkjp.jpg

Wow, it s been a while since I ve updated this thread.. I ended up spending a little over two months out of the country there in April & May & then when I got back there was a lot to catch up on long story short I m a long way off where I had expected to be by now but for those of you following along at home this is where I m at now.

Ok, so this update starts with more new boxes . I m on first name terms with the shipping & customs guys by now.. so I headed out to the airport the other week to collect my goodies..

IMG_5975_zpsdmxfej3d.jpg

So what s in the box Dave I hear you ask well there a few bits as you probably tell by the number & size of the boxes I have the under boot floor brace sections with the new fuel tank mounting brackets, the rear beaver panel that sits behind the bumpers & two rear chassis rail sections I m wasn t 100% if I would need the chassis rail sections, but they were relativity cheap & I figured I d order them & be happy if I didn t need them rather than discover later that I did need them & then have to wait weeks for them to turn up

IMG_5981_zpstsiscuhx.jpg

I also order two complete inner wheel houses

IMG_5982_zpsindjie2y.jpg

& of course two full rear Qtrs

IMG_5980_zpsehanypzn.jpg

IMG_5979_zpsajjdtcsp.jpg

Once I started to remove the paint & what turned out to be a lot of bog on the top of the rear Qtr where it joins the roof I started to suspect that this was not the cars original Qtr on this side, I m pretty sure that the lead & bog work are not factory..

IMG_6004_zpsnllyizkc.jpg

IMG_6005_zpscccahuzy.jpg

Where the Qtr joins the door jam doesn t look too bad

IMG_6007_zpseqhfubhe.jpg

The lower section on the sill is buggered, but as you may remember I have two complete sills already so I can replace that easily enough

IMG_6006_zps9masrwmo.jpg

Then there was nothing else to do really other than break out the grinder & get busy

IMG_6008_zpsvi3hr10q.jpg

IMG_6009_zpsmb7lw5fl.jpg

I m starting to get concerned now as to just comfortable I m becoming hacking great lumps off my cars.. when I started this project I would stare at a panel for a while before I d go near it with the grinder or the plasma cutter.. not now, now I m like some kind of demented wrecker.. I almost cut the boot off my Range Rover the other day to get the shopping out as I d left the key in the house

There is a lot of surface rust under here, but structurally it s all sound which is a great relief

IMG_6013_zpsro5tmevi.jpg

IMG_6012_zpsgmtrmlhv.jpg

Now if you look closely you can see where the original panel was cut off & then rather than unpicking all of the bits that where spot welded to the car they just beat the bits of panel flat & then mounted the new panel right over the top class work whoever you where, class work indeed

IMG_6011_zpskbrh2qnx.jpg

Next up was to start hacking out the inner wheel well now that I have such clear access to it

IMG_6016_zpsyvv81i47.jpg

IMG_6017_zpsyrhj6iqn.jpg

IMG_6019_zpse1jcdz2v.jpg

Once I had all the easy to hack off bits hacked off then it was time to break out my trusty spot weld drill bit & drill out all the welds that held the inner wheel well to the support structure & the weld that held the guard to the inner door etc

IMG_6027_zpsumhw7zuo.jpg

IMG_6028_zpsawatmcca.jpg

IMG_6024_zps72479vez.jpg

Then whilst cleaning bits up I discovered that the rear panel beneath the rear window is also badly rusted & has had a halfarsed fiberglass & bog repair carried out on it, so that s another section to be repaired added to the list now

IMG_6039_zpssngnjfih.jpg

I also started to have a look at what would be required to swap out the rear chassis rail sections should I decide to do that

IMG_6032_zpso3ixonxc.jpg

IMG_6031_zpsdzkdym6l.jpg

Then to cheer myself up I decided to test fit the new Qtr so I can see just how much fettling is going to be needed to get all the bodylines to match up.. the first test fitment went well, looks like it won t be too much drama (fingers crossed of course)

IMG_6036_zpsbwcomzbz.jpg

IMG_6037_zpsvdshprpe.jpg

IMG_6038_zps20fl75nl.jpg

• Advertisement

Right, so this is an uber quick update on this, just so that you all know I haven t doused it in petrol & burnt it or sold all the parts on eBay.. I ve simply been waiting on a part that had been on backorder since July. Normally parts come within the same month I order them but I had found a part that was made of unobtainium there for a bit sadly it was a part that I needed before I could make any more progress at all on the rear..

I did get some work done on the front rad support, it had only been tacked in place but I spent some time the other weekend aligning all the components so that all of the holes line up with each other & that all of the measurements match the datum points I took when back when I started

IMG_6196_zpsz5vzarbq.jpg

IMG_6197_zpsh9o4dhrg.jpg

IMG_6199_zpsy2mlhent.jpg

IMG_6200_zps8asfvxks.jpg

The offending backordered panel was the piece that runs under the rear window.. happily I have it now

IMG_6241_zps3ivqke6z.jpg

IMG_6240_zpsmzqq3wdu.jpg

During the months of parts drought I decided to order some of the internal brackets for the boot hinges, boot lock etc

IMG_6242_zps8qivl5q6.jpg

I probably won t need them, but didn t want the risk of any more parts delays so ordered them anyway the push now is to get the car in primer & ready to paint before Xmas that ll be a big push & lots of late nights in the shed, but that s the goal now

Advertisement