Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sochi Olympic thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Dr Nic wrote: »
    Any place online where we can watch highlights of the snowboarding. No skiing please. It pants ;-)

Have you been watching the moguls?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Fattes wrote: »
    This is the moment the commentary team realised she won a medal!! Aimee always looks shocked but the others!

Seems that some people didn't like the commentary and have been complaining:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26116848

I thought it was great, although the bit about feeling his pulse in his lower intestine was a bit odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

robinph wrote: »

I thought it was great, although the bit about feeling his pulse in his lower intestine was a bit odd.

I thought it was great aswell. Lots of people complaining about Aimee Fuller but I thought her unvarnished rawness was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

She is a young girl commentating on her team mate, friend and idol! It was brilliant TV!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

robinph wrote: »

I thought the exact same thing when the last competitor fell. The cheering was very un-sporting. I know it's her friend but she if can't be professional on the mic then the BBC shouldn't have had her there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭prunudo

Only watched it this evening, delighted she got the medal, very deserving. As for the complaining about the guys getting excited, that's what commentators do, it adds to the excitement, don't think they were cheering a faller, more cheering the fact their friend had just won a medal.
    I'm sure our commentators cheered when Katie Taylor won her medal.

quarryman wrote: »
    I thought the exact same thing when the last competitor fell. The cheering was very un-sporting. I know it's her friend but she if can't be professional on the mic then the BBC shouldn't have had her there.

She was not cheering the fall, she was cheering the fact that there was no way her friend and mentor was not walking away with a medal! It was a big deal and by the sports very nature one person not having a good run means someone else will benefit.

Thats the nature of slopestyle sometimes you only win when someone else does not perform other times you out perform everyone!

She was not cheering the fall, she was cheering the fact that there was no way her friend and mentor was not walking away with a medal! It was a big deal and by the sports very nature one person not having a good run means someone else will benefit.

Thats the nature of slopestyle sometimes you only win when someone else does not perform other times you out perform everyone!

I know why she was cheering - she knew Jones' score would not be beaten and guarantee a medal. But she WAS cheering the fall. Literally screaming down the mic. It was unprofessional and in bad taste.

Commentators often know the athletes well, but the good ones contain their emotions and BBC are normally a model of this. I think they realise they made a mistake with Fuller so luckily we won't have to hear her commentating again.

Delighted for Jones, she seems a genuinely likeable character. But the commentating was a mess. Seagulls, intestines, pure drivel.

I know why she was cheering - she knew Jones' score would not be beaten and guarantee a medal. But she WAS cheering the fall. Literally screaming down the mic. It was unprofessional and in bad taste.

Commentators often know the athletes well, but the good ones contain their emotions and BBC are normally a model of this. I think they realise they made a mistake with Fuller so luckily we won't have to hear her commentating again.

Delighted for Jones, she seems a genuinely likeable character. But the commentating was a mess. Seagulls, intestines, pure drivel.

The man that makes the decision re BBC sports broadcasts and was responsible for the London Olympics and this well he Loved her and has said on FB today he would use here again! Inbetween posting a photo of a half toilet!

She is not a broadcaster she is an athlete and added an edge of emotion to the event. The complaints to the BEEB are probably all form the type of people that ski Wengen since the 50's and still pack a dinner jacket for their ski trip!

The complaints to the BEEB are probably all form the type of people that ski Wengen since the 50's and still pack a dinner jacket for their ski trip!

Where do I keep my pipe if I can't bring my dinner jacket?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/winter-olympics/26129829

James Woods not able to train today.

Where do I keep my pipe if I can't bring my dinner jacket?

Speaking of skiing whilst dressed with some style, I spent a day hanging out with this Scottish chap for a days skiing this year:
    12444039563_03b54ab5c7.jpg

Unfortunately for him soon after that shot he disappeared in a cloud of snow below me and then learnt that wearing a woolen jacket isn't considered the most suitable form of mountain wear these days:

12444073703_9fae8eb35c.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

lads come on!! How do we watch highlights??? ;-P I'll even watch the boring old skiing!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Ciaranfitz.22

YouTube is good for the highlights.

Does anyone know where to by the different countries gear? I've seen the sochi branded jackets but can you buy the countries jackets it jumpers anywhere

YouTube is good for the highlights.

Does anyone know where to by the different countries gear? I've seen the sochi branded jackets but can you buy the countries jackets it jumpers anywhere
    Most if the kit can be picked up from the relevant nations homepages on the web, not all of it is for sale

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/winter-olympics/26129829

James Woods not able to train today.

He is ok will train before the main event later in the week not ideal but he is a tough kid

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

"...That was like getting into a.. err, a taxi, in ehmm.. Cairo" :(

If you have to work that hard for an analogy, forget it.

(Said of Lisa Zimmerman, having the commentators on edge after a bad start in the Slopestyle Skiing)

- Clothing - http://shop.sochi2014.com/en/shop/catalog/apparel/

Possibly some info here on highlights. I'm not sure if it's any use. - http://9to5mac.com/2014/02/07/how-to-watch-live-streams-of-the-sochi-2014-winter-olympics-on-your-iphone-ipad/

K.Summerhays sticks 3rd with and 84 in the slope style qualifiers this am!!

There have been many celebrations of Sarah Burke since her untimely death, but this morning was the greatest tribute to her yer

As for the commentary bring back Aimee fuller from the radio

They are struggling to go fast enough on a lot of the jumps and make it the distance.

Ouch. That is going to hurt bad, very bad. :(

• Advertisement

slo-mo wasnt pretty :(
    looks nasty

What were the judges watching there? Should have been way higher points.

glad thats over , she only just made the last jump on the victory run! how close to a disaster was that ?

A few of them didn't score very well, I thought. - I mean, I thought they desevered higher.

Camillia Berras first run, with the double forward flip, was very low. Her only mistake was coming off the first rail a little early which should've been a minor deduction..

In fairness she didn't deserve much more after that, but I thought her first run was poorly marked.

Has been confusing scoring I think in that awesome tricks have been badly marked because they didn't land right on the rail just before that. In the boards, Jenny Jones run wasn't especially exciting, but there wasn't any mistakes and that's how she got into the medals. Was very difficult for any of them to make it down safely and fast enough today though, so doing a fancy trick probably wasn't worth the bother as you'd almost certainly put a hand down or something.

Just straight lining it and going big so that you made the jump clean would have been the best course of action for the skiers today.

Any word on the girl that took that big fall? She wasn't moving a whole lot...

Any word on the girl that took that big fall? She wasn't moving a whole lot...

Nothing yet about Yuki Tsubota. It may appear here when there is more news.
    http://www.torontosun.com/2014/02/11/canadian-yuki-tsubota-suffers-scary-fall-injury-in-sochi

It had been reported after her first run and fall, that Kaya Turski had dislocated her shoulder, then she went again? Fair play to her.

EDIT:

Footage here, It looks way worse from the front :( - http://www.20minutes.fr/sport/1295834-video-l-enorme-chute-de-yuki-tsubota-en-slopestyle

Apparently she is okay - http://en.ria.ru/sochi2014/20140211/187423399/Canadian-Skier-Tsubota-Not-Badly-Hurt-After-Crash-in-Sochi.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

Seamus O'Connor is up now for his second run of Heat 1 in the Half-Pipe.
    PM me for a link.

~finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

Absoluvely wrote: »
    Seamus O'Connor is up now for his second run of Heat 1 in the Half-Pipe.
    PM me for a link.

~finished.

Nice to see him qualify for the semi. Thought his second run was great and I think he deserved a higher score for it (not just saying that because I'm Irish). I suppose some of the judging has been a bit off.
    Still great to see him qualify

• Advertisement

Even cross country skiing can be exciting. One guy who was spent after the first corner due to having knackered himself in a long distance race the day before, then finds three guys infront of him crash on the same corner and he then makes it through to get a bronze in the sprint.

Advertisement