Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail Discount from Rail Users Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Hmm. In a recent RUI thread I criticised a seemingly "ain't no thing" approach to IE's decision to take down their booking engine in business hours, noting that RUI seemed to have a close relationship with IE IT (participation in smartcard trial among other things) but when IE ops had a booboo a harder line seemed to be taken.

I'm sure this offer is totally unrelated to that unworthy thought of mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

RUI are like the Irish Railway Record Society, Save the Whale etc. - totally emasculated by CIE. The top dog there is probably hoping to replace Barry Kenny. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

RUI are like the Irish Railway Record Society, Save the Whale etc. - totally emasculated by CIE. The top dog there is probably hoping to replace Barry Kenny. :rolleyes:

Watch out or their chief spotter Chairman might issue tweets against you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The discount was offered as a thank you for comments and suggestions made on the new website.
    dowlingm wrote: »
    I'm sure this offer is totally unrelated to that unworthy thought of mine.
    Not quite sure what you are saying, but yes, as anyone knows, some parts of Irish Rail you can work with, others you can't.
    RUI are like the Irish Railway Record Society, Save the Whale etc. - totally emasculated by CIE.
    That seems harsh.
    The top dog there is probably hoping to replace Barry Kenny. :rolleyes:
    Care to explain?
    http://www.railusers.ie/about_us/committee.php/

Thomas Stamp is Chairperson. Of late, most tweets / delay / disruption updates have come from me, but also Mark Gleeson. The twitter account is there to keep passengers up to date, when Irish Rail (Luas and NIR not so much) often do not. Sometimes there will be a broader message, e.g. pointing out strategic failures (Saturday service on Good Friday) useful links or answering queries. I'm not aware of any tweets referring to individuals (it may have happened, but I'd say it has been rather rare).

Colm Moore
    Local Liaison Office
    Rail Users Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

RUI are like the Irish Railway Record Society, Save the Whale etc. - totally emasculated by CIE. The top dog there is probably hoping to replace Barry Kenny. rolleyes.gif

A little harsh, RUI do a great job and somebody replacing Barry Kenny would be great as all he does is make IR out to be great when they handle a suitation badly.....

• Advertisement

To be fair, the tweets from the RUI account a few weeks ago did point up just how f_cked the Nenagh schedule was in its original form, so well done there. All I'm saying is that it's fair for all the parts of IE to be held to a high standard, not just the ops side.

Fair point, although operations is the core function. Everything else is rather meaningless if people can't get from A to B in a reasonable fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

Fair enough, it's just that the relationship with the IT dept. seems a bit too cosy. Posts on the RUI forum about problems with the website or booking or TVMs are usually replied to by Mark Gleeson, who passes on the information to IÉ and then says when it will be fixed.

Of course this is a good way to get things done, and you could argue that it's better than an adversarial relationship. But maybe if RUI made more of a big deal about what can sometimes be fairly substantial issues then they wouldn't arise in the first place. Maybe these things should be ironed out internally first, rather than relying on a third-party organisation to be the origin of bug reports.

Of course there's no denying that the IÉ website has come on by leaps and bounds and RUI have played their part. They are to be commended for this. But there's a tricky balance to be struck and it seems to me (just as a casual outside observer) that RUI are leaning just a little too much towards the friendly side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 crankyboots

I found this information on www.irishrail.ie

"A Tuesday Special! 20% off online bookings (except special event trains) ‘til midnight tonight with promo code ‘TWT1349’ at irishrail.ie"

I haven't tried it yet. Might have to later. Will re post if I do.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 crankyboots

Just to confirm that that 20% discount works

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

Also, on Facebook

"‎20% Off – Use the following code FB1348 before midnight tonight to get 20% off."

• Registered Users Posts: 12 flickflock1

Big thanks to all you just saved me nearly 30e , thats a small fortune to me! it makes such a difference i had been holding out looking for codes and you saved the day , thanks again for all involved!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

Have a look at the USA's National Association of Rail Passengers (NARP)...just as emasculated, and they're supposed to be champions of Amtrak, who keeps getting shrunken down in capacity by their federal government. (They offer discounts for Amtrak fares, BTW.)

Here's something you don't need to be superstitious about 13% Off bookings until midnight tonight.

Use the following code FRI1340, Discount applies to all bookings, except special offers, made on www.irishrail.ie. Book up to 28 days in advance of travel. Terms, conditions, credit card and transaction charges apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

Well, at least "Save the Whale" (sic) and R.U.I are trying to make things better, as opposed to anonymous keyboard warriors who I suspect have done a lot less.

You're probably right about the IRRS though.

Thanks to YOU, we have reached over 10,000 followers and are delighted you are one of them. We would like to offer you 25% off bookings until midnight tonight. Use the following code FB1350, discount applies to all bookings, except special offers, made on www.irishrail.ie. Book up to 28 days in advance of travel. Terms, conditions, credit card

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Fine so we wont be badgering them to issue discounts in future, or actually doing things like meeting them and beating them over the head in person about passenger issues. From now on, we'll just sit behind the keyboard and moan.

I havent had a go at anyone and anyone who is familiar with my posts on this here forum is well aware of my contempt for trainspotters.
    To be fair, the tweets from the RUI account a few weeks ago did point up just how f_cked the Nenagh schedule was in its original form, so well done there. All I'm saying is that it's fair for all the parts of IE to be held to a high standard, not just the ops side.

Thats because we found some poor sod willing to get up at 5 am to actually use the service, whcih we repeated recently and will be doing it again because its the only way to actually be truthful and get round the barry kenny/alan kelly spin on this issue. We did it before on other issues, we'll do it again.

It's like old times comign on here and finding this stuff.

Where would we be without you. :rolleyes:

Having RUI is about as much use to Irish rail users as the EPA is to Ireland's environment or the Heritage Council is to Ireland's Heritage. Who elected you all anyway?

you'll be sorry when im gone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Fine so we wont be badgering them to issue discounts in future, or actually doing things like meeting them and beating them over the head in person about passenger issues. From now on, we'll just sit behind the keyboard and moan.
    please do keep badgering them!
    I havent had a go at anyone and anyone who is familiar with my posts on this here forum is well aware of my contempt for trainspotters.
    Trainspotters are people too!
    Thats because we found some poor sod willing to get up at 5 am to actually use the service, whcih we repeated recently and will be doing it again because its the only way to actually be truthful and get round the barry kenny/alan kelly spin on this issue. We did it before on other issues, we'll do it again.

It's like old times comign on here and finding this stuff.
    How can people make RUI aware of delayed trains that they are on or services curtailed or cancelled or transferred to buses?

I noticed from tweets that RUI can be fairly effective in dealing with stuff like lifts being out of order for prolonged periods and other accessibility issues, could they ask about Irish Rail providing a daily list of lifts out of order throughout their railway network?

• Advertisement

Having RUI is about as much use to Irish rail users as the EPA is to Ireland's environment or the Heritage Council is to Ireland's Heritage. Who elected you all anyway?

sure you can say that about any organisation from the comfort of behind the keybord.

who elected us all? membership is open to anyone. Just join, and if you would actually like to do something, obviously you think you can do a better job than we can, join, stand at the next AGM and ask to go onto the committee and fire away. You can then, instead of me, go and meet IE, and I ill just sit behind the PC screen decrying your efforts and sneering.

So go on, put your money where your keyboard is, for a change.

foggy_lad wrote: »

How can people make RUI aware of delayed trains that they are on or services curtailed or cancelled or transferred to buses?

I noticed from tweets that RUI can be fairly effective in dealing with stuff like lifts being out of order for prolonged periods and other accessibility issues, could they ask about Irish Rail providing a daily list of lifts out of order throughout their railway network?

twitter is the key to that, if people want to they can just tweet it.

Irish rail dont have a list of things like that. We use feedback from passengers and put it out there.

sure you can say that about any organisation from the comfort of behind the keybord.

who elected us all? membership is open to anyone. Just join, and if you would actually like to do something, obviously you think you can do a better job than we can, join, stand at the next AGM and ask to go onto the committee and fire away. You can then, instead of me, go and meet IE, and I ill just sit behind the PC screen decrying your efforts and sneering.

So go on, put your money where your keyboard is, for a change.

Thanks for the invite but I've been there, done that so I'll settle for sniping from behind my keyboard. Nothing personal - I'm sure that you're a well meaning individual but perhaps one day you'll see the light. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

twitter is the key to that, if people want to they can just tweet it.

Irish rail dont have a list of things like that. We use feedback from passengers and put it out there.
    I am amazed that they don't have a list of facilities available to wheelchair users and other mobility impaired people at stations day to day,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

SeanW wrote: »
    Well, at least "Save the Whale" (sic) and R.U.I are trying to make things better, as opposed to anonymous keyboard warriors who I suspect have done a lot less.

You're probably right about the IRRS though.

He is.

I cant stand that lot, I really cant. Next time they run one of their Grim Reaper specials, I will stand at each platform with a placard highlighting my absolute disgust at this shower pouring scorn on their taste in a certain culinary dish and their dress sense.

Anyway who on earth would christen their child Tarquin?

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Badgering has been done three times in the last month. It's not like they don't have the data feed from CTC. As it stands, they only certain means Irish Rail provide to find out if lifts are working is to go to the station. If someone is dependent on a lift, they should be able to easily find out in advance if they are working.

I do try to keep this list up to date, but I'm not a regular DART user. http://railusers.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=1111&page=11

• Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Partizan wrote: »
    He is.

I cant stand that lot, I really cant. Next time they run one of their Grim Reaper specials, I will stand at each platform with a placard highlighting my absolute disgust at this shower pouring scorn on their taste in a certain culinary dish and their dress sense.

Anyway who on earth would christen their child Tarquin?

What is the obsession with knocking this organisation? Frankly it baffles me.

They are not a lobby group (despite what some people think they ought to be) and never have been. They are an historical society, and the hint regarding their purpose is in the name (the word "record" being particularly appropriate).

So what if they charter specials to mark the demise of a particular class of rolling stock/line? The fact that the rolling stock is being withdrawn or the lines closed is hardly their fault?

Some of the comments on this board in this regard seem to be vitriolic and completely over the top, while others seem to have personal agendas against the IRRS. It is a rather sad state of affairs when people get worked up about this. Frankly they would be better off focussing on the real issues facing public transport in Ireland.

I suspect that IE would have been aware of that themselves without RUI weighing in - the real question is why the trains could not deliver the schedule that the computer said they could?

Any lobby group should be providing constructive criticism of the service and working with the operators concerned. Becoming altogether antagonistic does no one any favours. A certain element of diplomacy generally delivers more. This is a balance that frankly RUI don't always manage.

lxflyer - do you remember the time RUI went on the Last Word and talked about how IE could take advantage of ECS services to earn revenue and mentioned one service in particular - I think it was a Portlaoise run. A drone from the Information Minister's office (not BK himself) came on after and she absolutely trashed the idea - RUI was wrong, the service didn't run as regularly as they were making out etc...

Not - we value contributions from passenger groups and will take this under advisement - instead, they should shut up because they have no idea what they are on about.

Funny thing though - that service was designated revenue VERY shortly after. Sometimes you have to poke the bear...

• Advertisement

I do remember that issue (the late service to Portlaoise), and I can also remember it being confirmed on IRN at that particular time that the empty working did not operate every day of the week, and hence was not timetabled for public service. When additional sets were commissioned it became a timetabled service.

Sometimes you should not believe everything RUI say!

By all means I think a lobby group should criticise (I'm not saying hey shouldn't), but I do believe that they do (in certain quarters) need to improve those skills and become less adversarial.

Advertisement