Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Oberstdorf Germany

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

ShayK1 wrote: »
    you shower of sh1tes!!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Sounds like the makings of a meet.
    Has there been a boards meet abroad yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

Ok, here's the plan. Everyone write "BOARDS!" on their forehead in black ink. Then we'll know who all the cool people are! :D ha!

Actually have a question for people who have been their before. Would you be able to get some skiing in on the first day? We'll (and I assume all of you too) will be arriving around 3pm? Gonna be enough time to get some skiing done? ... Considering i've to rent gear and that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

I'll be arriving in Oberstdorf trainstation around 2pm. I've my own gear and am hopeful of getting onto the slopes but not certain. I've to check into the hotel, change and go get the 2:35 or 3:35 bus and then get a ski pass. The last bus returns at 5:30 iirc. I guess an hours skiing is not out of the question.

You could throw your luggage into one of the lockers in the train station,

If, when you arrived there was a bus leaving for the Sollereck it might be worth jumping on that, there is a rental shop near the train station.
    Shay, can you buy an hours pass on the Sollereck ? I heard before that it was.

Or...head on a "town" bus up to the nebelhornbahn station (10mins), rent gear at one of the 3 or 4 shops up there ( a decent range of quality and price) I think you will arrive around 2 and you could be on the slopes easily at 3.
    You would have to buy a half day pass, for a couple of hours only, if you where decent you can ski back down a little later than the last cable-car, which I think is about 4.30.

For me its not really worth it but I'd decide on the day you arrive.

(I just added a few photo's of the nebelhorn on the picture sticky)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 donnchadhc

I'll be arriving in Oberstdorf trainstation around 2pm. I've my own gear and am hopeful of getting onto the slopes but not certain. I've to check into the hotel, change and go get the 2:35 or 3:35 bus and then get a ski pass. The last bus returns at 5:30 iirc. I guess an hours skiing is not out of the question.

Why bother, the lift for the Nebelhorn is only a two minute walk from the centre of the village. I'd check into the hotel/guesthouse quick, and head up there. There are three or four rental spots outside it and you can get your pass/tickets there. If you arrive at two it is perfectly feasible, arriving at three may be a bit tighter but if your quick and organised you could get a few runs in. Lifts stop at half four according to my recollection and I think I heard of a red run all the way down to the village, there's definetely one down to the bar at mid-station :D

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

Shay, can you buy an hours pass on the Sollereck ? I heard before that it was.

You can buy 1,2, 3hr or half day pass for sollereck. You can also buy a ten run pass, which would be useful if you wanted to get a few short runs on the first and the last day as well. Not 100% sure if you can carry it over though.

Its gonna be a wild week.... playing live in the town park on friday http://www.goldberg-musikanten.de/ and wait for it..... on Saturday night http://www.widdersteiner.de/

Ya gotta love the Germans :D

Haha.. I love the excessively bad use of photoshop

widdersteinbuaba-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭PCwiggum

What started out as a planned weekend skiing in Scotland has now developed into 4 nights in Oberstdorf thanks to this thread (3 cheers to boards.ie hip hip...)

5 of us heading on Feb 3rd to 7th.
    Staying in Geiger guest house in the village centre.

My first skiing trip so I'm sure I'll be bombardin ye with more questions like "how the hell do you get on one of them ski lift thingys without breakin your neck?":)

Anyway thanks again lads and lasses for the wealth of information...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭LOTTOWINNER

I'm one of PCwiggam's group, The last time I skied was in Austria and the time before that Andorra, both of these were "warm" if you know what I mean, in fact I didn't wear gloves at all in Austria in '08 just light top and jacket/bottoms.
    Just wondering what the conditions are like in Oberstdorf as regards amount of layers, are thermal vests and long johns the order of the day???:eek: also is it sunglasses or goggles?

Cheers

I'm one of PCwiggam's group, The last time I skied was in Austria and the time before that Andorra, both of these were "warm" if you know what I mean, in fact I didn't wear gloves at all in Austria in '08 just light top and jacket/bottoms.
    Just wondering what the conditions are like in Oberstdorf as regards amount of layers, are thermal vests and long johns the order of the day???:eek: also is it sunglasses or goggles?

Cheers

everyone is different as to how they feel the cold etc it would usually be quite cold in Feb, but just check the weather forecast the week before on http://www.das-hoechste.de/
    For me goggles, usually, unless the weather is great then I have a pair of Alpina glasses :cool:

last year was very cold. I didn't wear termals but I did wear layers.
    It was goggle weather last year. Hoping for more of the same this year but I haven't been yet.

Thanks people, I normally bring too much clothing (expecting the worst) it probably stems back to '91 when I skied in Romania, and it was brass monkey weather!

We are due to fly Dublin ~ Memmingem on Tuesday @ 9.20 am
    We are getting really worried now that the flight won't go.
    Where is best get information as to what to do, I cannot find a phone line for Ryanair.....we are travelling up from Mayo.

We might end up in Kilternan for the week !

Dublin Airport Switchboard

+353 (0)1 814 1111

I seriously doubt they'll be able to give you any info until closer to the time but always worth a try.

I hope you got out am_i_bovvered?

Enjoy the slopes and give us an update on conditions when you get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Paulj

Great thread guys! Another group of 5 of us heading there thanks to boards.ie! We'll be there feb 1-4th. :p

Gotta thank all the lads who contributed info here.

Got back yesterday and I had a blast. Lucked out with the weather for the first 3 days of skiing, absolutely beautiful. Heavy fog restricted us on the last day unfortunately.

Not a 'party town' at all but it came alive on Friday and Saturday. Met a good few Irish on the slopes. I'm guessing a few were from Boards but I never asked

Like someone said already, there is very little English spoken, but you can survive easily enough with the basics.

Heading to Oberstdorf in Feb. was thinking of using the following hire shop, anyone have any experience of this hire shop or can you suggest one that was worth a recommendation?

http://www.snowell.com/pi_en/50/161/Oberstdorf

• Advertisement

There's a load of rental places at the bottom of Nebelhorn, we got our gear from an old German lad who hadn't a word of English. Got decent enough beginner gear. For 4 days, it was 50e for boards, 55e for Skis+Boots+Poles

Thanks Taketheveil, from reading previous replies I think you took the same ryanair morning flight (9.20) as we are planning on taking, approximately what time did you reach the resort, and did you have enough time to organise ski hire or did you have to leave it to the following morning?

Heading to Oberstdorf in Feb. was thinking of using the following hire shop, anyone have any experience of this hire shop or can you suggest one that was worth a recommendation?

http://www.snowell.com/pi_en/50/161/Oberstdorf

The Alpine Ski School at directly opposite the train station. They are very nice to deal with and they have good english.
    Intersport is on the road that runs parrallel to the station. Iirc. If you come out of the train station, turn left and take the first left again so you're going back on yourself. I think they are slightly cheaper than Alpine but I've never used them.

http://www.alpinskischule.de/

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

The Alpine Ski School at directly opposite the train station. They are very nice to deal with and they have good english.

http://www.alpinskischule.de/

I have rented from apineskischule over the last 2 years and have found them very good. they always seem to have 1 person in the shop with excellent english. I have had 1 days lesson from them (beginner) which was very good, the instructor was sound & had perfect english, told us some very funny stories and was more than happy to translate the menu for us.

What is very useful is the fact that they have a hut on the Sollereck where you can change your boots when you decide yours don't fit right. Yhe Sollereck is where they have their lessons.

I cant remember their rates but think rental (ski's, boots, & poles) is about €15 per day and lessons are €30.

I will probably use them again (in 6 weeks :) ). if there are no better recommendations, the only downfall I think is there boots seem quite wide & I have skinny feet, oh and afaik they only use Head equipment (it might make a difference to some)

Thanks for replies, Alpineski looks like it will suit me fine, and as it's close to the train station, should be easy to find.
    Just wondering, do you guys normally pre-book or just hire when you get there?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

approximately what time did you reach the resort, and did you have enough time to organise ski hire or did you have to leave it to the following morning?

the train times are a couple of pages back in the thread, you should have plenty of time to get sorted when you get to Oberstdorf, if your quick and very eager you might even squeeze a run or 2 in.
    should be easy to find.

you cant miss it, it's almost the first thing you see when you leave the train station. I have just strolled in & sorted everything out when I got there.

here is a handy link for the local bustimes

Thanks again 3greenrizla's, I have looked at the train time table, I just wondered if there would be any "hidden" delays that I haven't planned for.

Thanks again 3greenrizla's, I have looked at the train time table, I just wondered if there would be any "hidden" delays that I haven't planned for.

Hidden Delays in Germany?

You're kidding right?

Thanks for replies, Alpineski looks like it will suit me fine, and as it's close to the train station, should be easy to find.

What dates are you going in Feb?
    Fasching is on from something like Feb 11 to 15th or maybe 17th so if you are going within that time frame, I'd suggest prebooking. Otherwise, just walk in and they'll sort you out.

• Advertisement

Hidden Delays in Germany?

You're kidding right?

Never been to Germany! so, their world famous efficency is actually true then!

Advertisement