Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone know why

Options
  • 21-11-2006 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

Took me over two hours to get from Ballsbridge to Swords yesterday. It took almost an hour to get through the East Link. AA roadwatch said it had to do with traffic volumes, which I could possibly buy, but for the fact that in the same bulletin they said that Pearse Street was also backed all the way up to Bolands Mills. There could hardly have been that much extra traffic on the roads on a dry Monday at 4:15.

Even on miserable damp evenings, there is never usually such a delay unless something has happened somewhere to cause it.

Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

There were restriction on Sheriff Street yesterday causing traffic delays in the whole area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

it was a nightmare wasn't it? and today wasn't much better, although at least today I could see what was causing the problem - feckin truck overturned.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭The Swordsman

Bluetonic wrote:
    There were restriction on Sheriff Street yesterday causing traffic delays in the whole area.

Thanks for that.

Do you know if the restriction was just for yesterday or can I expect the same today?

Don't want to be late picking the kids up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Shopping!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,953 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

tbh wrote:
    it was a nightmare wasn't it? and today wasn't much better, although at least today I could see what was causing the problem - feckin truck overturned.
    Was that the one (northbound) at the Pinnock Hill roundabout in Swords?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

took me under an hour to get from blanch to westmeath :D Thats normal and its over 40 miles. When people ask me how i can stand being so far away that it must take me ages.. i simply point out i get home quicker than a LOT of people in Dublin :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

The Silly Season has started. Even at 9.30 last night the roads were very busy.
    Smyths toy store open till 11pm every night, Most Shopping centres open till 9 or 10pm etc etc are the cause IMO

Was that the one (northbound) at the Pinnock Hill roundabout in Swords?

The very same. I thought it was Southbound myself, but couldn't really see - looked like it covered all of one side and half the other. The cops were getting people to turn right on the roundabout and go back the way they came. When that bypass opened, this used to happen all the time.

Thanks for that.

Do you know if the restriction was just for yesterday or can I expect the same today?

Don't want to be late picking the kids up again.

I'm not too sure, I heard them mention it on the traffic updates on Newstalk yesterday evening, I also noticed the traffic was light coming out of the IFSC through to The Five Lamps possibly because traffic was blocked on Upper Sherrif street.

Bluetonic wrote:
    I'm not too sure, I heard them mention it on the traffic updates on Newstalk yesterday evening, I also noticed the traffic was light coming out of the IFSC through to The Five Lamps possibly because traffic was blocked on Upper Sherrif street.

Bad News. Sherriff Street closed until Wednesday

http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/traffic/story.asp?id=80704

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,953 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

tbh wrote:
    I thought it was Southbound myself
    No, it would be very unlikely for a southbound truck to overturn there as it would approach the roundabout on the level. Northbound involves coming downhill into it. That roundabout is difficult in a truck if the speed is even a little high especially to the inexperienced driver as it involves a deceptive turn and camber. As you say, it was a common occurance before the M1 opened. There used to a electronic warning sign before the roundabout but I don't think it's in operation anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Navan Junction

They are digging up the road at Sheriff street bridge.. Looks like a corpo job, pipes or something.

Can't see why the whole road is closed

No, it would be very unlikely for a southbound truck to overturn there as it would approach the roundabout on the level. Northbound involves coming downhill into it. That roundabout is difficult in a truck if the speed is even a little high especially to the inexperienced driver as it involves a deceptive turn and camber. As you say, it was a common occurance before the M1 opened. There used to a electronic warning sign before the roundabout but I don't think it's in operation anymore.

all true - I got my north and south mixed up yet again :) the cab was in the southbound lane, the rest was in the northbound.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 371 ✭✭Traffic

Roadworks that were meant to be completed over the wekend on Aston Quay were extended into monday this involved reducing the Aston Quay to one lane.
    The contractor was supposed to be off the road by lunchtime but didnt clear until 4pm this caused huge delays all over the city centre yesterday pm

Traffic wrote:
    Roadworks that were meant to be completed over the wekend on Aston Quay were extended into monday this involved reducing the Aston Quay to one lane.
    The contractor was supposed to be off the road by lunchtime but didnt clear until 4pm this caused huge delays all over the city centre yesterday pm

I think the delays the OP is talking about are solely because of Sherrif Street.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 371 ✭✭Traffic

The delays experienced by the OP were caused by Aston Quay being reduced to one lane until 16:40.

This closure had a knock on effect on traffic throughout the city centre and main roads leading into it including on Pearse St, North Wall Quay, North Strand Road and Dorset St any roads leading into these were also affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

Traffic wrote:

I'm not sure if you can answer this but is there anything DCC does to contractors who run over like that?

I've seen so many contractors digging up the roads lately and not returning them to their original state. Road markings, bus stops, cycle lanes, advanced stop lines are regularly ripped up and never repainted. Even when the specifiec contractor is reported to DCC Road Maintenance, nothing seems to be done.

Traffic wrote:
    The delays experienced by the OP were caused by Aston Quay being reduced to one lane until 16:40.

This closure had a knock on effect on traffic throughout the city centre and main roads leading into it including on Pearse St, North Wall Quay, North Strand Road and Dorset St any roads leading into these were also affected.

Deep breaths :rolleyes:

Traffic was a lot better today. Made it home in less than an hour. Sherriff Street was still closed off and it actually worked to my advantage. It seemed most people crossing at the East Link headed towards East Wall. I headed up the quays and turned right and came into Seville Place past the roadworks and had a free run from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

They are digging up the road at Sheriff street bridge.. Looks like a corpo job, pipes or something. Can't see why the whole road is closed
    The bridge is rather tired and needs renovation, it has a 7.5t limit that is constantly abused. The lifting section needs complete reconstruction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

they did nothing to the bridge, it is still the same...it was underground pipes or something....that bridge you speak of is very dangerous, even for pedestrians...

Advertisement