Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Extension exemption, how long to wait after new build

Options
  • 05-10-2019 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I am about to start building my house which I have been granted planning permission for. However I now would like to add an extension to the rear of my planned house. I would build it in accordance with the 40sqm rear extension exemption rules.
    Can I build it at the same time as I build the planned house? If not, how long do I need to wait?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

You need to wait until the house you have been granted planning permission for is complete, which would usually mean habitable.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

OP, best to Revisit the design with your architect. And Resubmit planning. Tacking on an extension before you’ve even started building, will not be good use of space or your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Ruby2Shoes

Thanks for replies.

I’m happy with the new design and it actually makes better use of the space.

If you say finished and habitable, then do I just have to wait 1 day and build my extension? Do I need to provide proof that it was finished to the original plan by taking photos?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Double check your original planning doesn’t remove the exemptions.
    Got one recently in South Dublin and it was conditioned that no works that would otherwise be exempt be carried out with a further planning. That includes sheds also.

kceire wrote: »
    Double check your original planning doesn’t remove the exemptions.
    Got one recently in South Dublin and it was conditioned that no works that would otherwise be exempt be carried out with a further planning. That includes sheds also.

I didn’t know they did that! Mine doesn’t thankfully

• Advertisement

Does anyone have any info about the length of time I need to wait after original planned build is complete, or if I need to show proof that it was built as planned and then extended?
    Ideally I want to just build the new layout and I can’t find anything in planning guidelines that stipulates when I can build the extension

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭db

I would expect you would need to get your certificates of completion and planning compliance first.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,989 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Ruby2Shoes wrote: »
    Does anyone have any info about the length of time I need to wait after original planned build is complete, or if I need to show proof that it was built as planned and then extended?
    Ideally I want to just build the new layout and I can’t find anything in planning guidelines that stipulates when I can build the extension

you cant "extend" what doesnt exist, and you can only extend a "dwelling" without permission.....so thats where the planning definitions kick in. A dwelling is only a dwelling when its finished.

These are technicalities, but i know of circumstances where councils have enacted enforcement action becuase of this very iussue.

Advertisement