Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ski season 2016/2017

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

This weather station has a 10 foot ladder to get up to it...

17758325_10155216626964044_3567298308520066833_o.jpg?oh=b5254bd54a363ec700f0354607e9013f&oe=59938CAD

15723543_10154899684214044_5702401466578063270_o.jpg?oh=81277c03c704f0adfed5af99cee11423&oe=5993A848

Crazy stuff, skied there last year but wasn't anything like it is this year

• Registered Users Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

that's actually insane

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

lawred2 wrote: »
    that's actually insane

I'm subscribed to Ryan Knapton on YouTube, I believe Breckenridge, or a resort very close to it, got 16" two or three nights ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

I'm not subscribed to, but am unfortunately related to, my brother who is in california at moment and sending me alternating pictures of pacific rollers, deserts, and snow storms with Jacuzzis. Puke. They've had some season.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭BarryNumber1

Occasional poster here. On Tahoe resorts... Managed a day there in Kirkwood (Apr 2nd), and while it was a week or so after major snowfall it was pretty damn good. Minimal layers required, perfect bluebird day, loads of snow and plenty of options all over the mountain. Attaching some pics...

Its just not the alps though is it? I mean aesthetically. They're just not picturesque mountains in the states.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭BarryNumber1

Certainly different and there are pros and cons to both. Have only seen the Italian Alps so can't comment on France/Switzerland/Austria. Tahoe has good altitude and the view is outstanding. One things for sure, all better shredding than what we have here.

Yeah and snow record kicks ass of europe too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Well after loads of attempts at 3 numbers in the lotto with Paddy Power i have to now accept that the season is over for me :(
    Was an immense one for me with several weeks done Dec to Feb and a nice sunny week in March.
    Skiing has come on to another level , well i now understand how **** i am and how much work and practice is needed :)
    Roll on the seasons till 2017/2018!

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    Well after loads of attempts at 3 numbers in the lotto with Paddy Power i have to now accept that the season is over for me :(
    Was an immense one for me with several weeks done Dec to Feb and a nice sunny week in March.
    Skiing has come on to another level , well i now understand how **** i am and how much work and practice is needed :)
    Roll on the seasons till 2017/2018!

This day next week I'll be busy packing my bags. Not sure what resort yet, but I see Engelberg and Lech just got 2' of snow. Yes, ', not "!

Don't hate me for it though, it's only my secomd trip of the season :D

a148pro wrote: »
    Its just not the alps though is it? I mean aesthetically. They're just not picturesque mountains in the states.

You don't have the epicness of the Alpes rolling away as far as the eye can see but its still beautiful. From the top of Squaw your looking down the mountain and out over Lake Tahoe. Squaw is one of the more Alipine like resorts though.

Here's my pics from Jan 2016

The down side of a lot of North American resorts is they are normally totally sewn up by one company which keeps the costs of everything onsite high. You drive there ski and leave so apres is limited unless your staying on site which is $$$ and most people are leaving so not many left on site to party anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

Rew wrote: »

You don't have the epicness of the Alpes rolling away as far as the eye can see but its still beautiful.  From the top of Squaw your looking down the mountain and out over Lake Tahoe.  Squaw is one of the more Alipine like resorts though.  

Here's my pics from Jan 2016

The down side of a lot of North American resorts is they are normally totally sewn up by one company which keeps the costs of everything onsite high.  You drive there ski and leave so apres is limited unless your staying on site which is $$ and most people are leaving so not many left on site to party anyway.
    That's pretty much the nail on the head. Although up in Canada, some of the Rockies resorts are very close to Alpine, scenery-wise. Kicking Horse comes to mind, some amazing views back down and through the valley. Lake Louise is great, too. The main issue I have is that a lot of the resorts tend to be a ways out of town so apres can be limited, although maybe that's just my day-trip mentality rather than the week long holiday mentality.
    Also, the 2 resorts nearest to me aren't closing until May 7th and 22nd...so that's something! Couple of days left in me I think!

Ok, 3.5 days to go to Engelberg, decided to go there after the recent dump of snow they had, and more is forecast! Can't wait.
    Has anyone been there before? Any tips for good pistes or pubs? Any recommendations?

F u!

A lot of snow forecast for austria next week so maybe good in Switz too. Good end to bad season.

There was a poster here who knew rather a lot about Engelberg?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭fmlarnapairce

I was there, very very good. you'll have a ball you bstrd.
    It is a bit on the expensive side for eating out and the few beers, but if you follow the happy hour pub trail you will do ok (i.e. one pub will do a happy hour 5-6, another 6-7 etc, but can't remember any names, sorry). I think there's a new Irish pub out there now as well.

F u!
    A lot of snow forecast for austria next week so maybe good in Switz too. Good end to bad season.

56 cm of snow forecast this week before I arrive. Resort will probably be half empty, too! :D:D:cool:

Advertisement