Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soll 2015/16

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

If you're in a small Pension, the chances are ye might be the only ones in there. You'll have to bring a towel to sit on anyway, so you could just leave it wrapped around yourself if there are no natives lurking!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

That's kind of a pity. Realistically I won't use the sauna now and I liked the idea of it. I'll check it out when I get there I suppose, maybe we could keep towels on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

blue note wrote: »
    That's kind of a pity. Realistically I won't use the sauna now and I liked the idea of it. I'll check it out when I get there I suppose, maybe we could keep towels on.

Really depends on who else is staying there/using it. If there are Austrians in there you will be told off. They see it as very unhygienic to wear clothes in a sauna. Our hotel in St Anton laid the rules very strictly last year, similar in public spa in Bad Hofgastein a few years ago except that was segregated.

If I get brave and decide to try it and go in there starkers and it turns out you're all lying to me I'll be so angry at you all!!!

We were in the pool in a hotel in Saalbach & a whole family used to swim nudey every night.

• Advertisement

Forecast getting better by the day! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Rew wrote: »
    All Austrian saunas are strictly nude (assuming its not a private one just for you guys).

Ah, OK! I didn't know that.

I have horrific memories, of Zell am See, sitting in a tiny sauna with my wife, and in comes a fat, naked Russian bloke, covered in gold jewellery.
    Because of the size of the sauna, I went from sitting there, having a nice restful time, to having some blokes wang in my face, and getting whiplash from pulling my head back so quickly, in about half a second.

I still wake up screaming about it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

cormee wrote: »
    Ah, OK! I didn't know that.

I have horrific memories, of Zell am See, sitting in a tiny sauna with my wife, and in comes a fat, naked Russian bloke, covered in gold jewellery.
    Because of the size of the sauna, I went from sitting there, having a nice restful time, to having some blokes wang in my face, and getting whiplash from pulling my head back so quickly, in about half a second.

I still wake up screaming about it.

Yeah thought about hiding the sauna last year for about 30 sec and gave it a miss 😂

In the public spa a few years ago there was no changeing rooms just rows of lockers and people changing in front of them. Gave that sauna a miss too!

We had a private one in a chiller in France couple of years ago that was great except it tripped thevseirch for the whole chalet when you added too much water. The chalet girl was try to cook dinner and we were tripping the switch every 10 mins....

ONE MORE SLEEPIES TO THE NUDIE SAUNAS!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

olaola wrote: »
    ONE MORE SLEEPIES TO THE NUDIE SAUNAS!

Any room in the bag for one more

• Advertisement

dzer2 wrote: »
    Any room in the bag for one more

We need a ski monkey... you can carry my boots :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

olaola wrote: »
    We need a ski monkey... you can carry my boots :p

No bother as long as the ski's are attached and I can wear them:p

I was so sad coming home - what an amazing place! It was my first ski trip and I was blown away by the facilities / technology there. The amount of lifts, snow cannons and snow bashers or whatever they're called is incredible. Even without getting snow for a while there was still plenty on the slopes.

The week we went was the busiest of the year I believe due to a school midterm across half of Europe. We kept getting asked if we were school teachers and that was why we chose that week. My instructor told me that they had 80 instructors employed last week and have 40 for this week - they were expecting 40% of the people on the slopes. So the slopes were crowed, but there still seemed to be a good bit of room to be honest. The one difference it made was though was that at the end of the days it was always getting icy and bumpy. Not ideal for a beginner, but all things considered it's really not too much to complain about. Oh, there were also loads of kids there. One of the feckers cut acrooss me and made me fall over on my last day!

But the skiing was just so much fun. I had gone for 3 lessons in Stillorgan beforehand and I was so glad I did. It meant I could jump a group and go to low intermediates and it made such a difference. Even though it was a shock being on snow for the first time (and actually moving!!)I got into the swing of things on day 4 really. There was real improvement every day, but it was day 4 by the time I had some control. Day 5 we got to the igloo bar which was great and we went back on day 6 without the instructors. This was the day I got the only video of me. I thought I was flying across the slopes, but the video told a different story!

I would have absolutely loved another 2 days. In the end I was finally turning without almost completely stopping and if I'd had another couple of days I reckon I'd have been going down the slopes at a respectable speed. I suppose it'll have to wait until next year!

But all 7 of us on the trip had a great time. We were all talking about booking early again for next year which is a good sign. Better start saving now though. Because I added up that the week cost me over 2 grand in total!

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

What did you spend 2k on???? I'm in Söll now. Lots of powder today. On and off piste. Can't see much now. Off to Mayrhofen next week. Will be epic off piste there.

What did you spend 2k on???? I'm in Söll now. Lots of powder today. On and off piste. Can't see much now. Off to Mayrhofen next week. Will be epic off piste there.

Package (flights / transfers / accomodation) - €636
    Ski Pass / Lessons - €425
    Equipment Hire - €143
    Insurance - €30
    Ski Gear purchases (goggles, base layers, socks, etc) €125
    3 Lessons in Stillorgan - €90
    Spending Money - €578

A total of €2,027.

I'm going to get my own ski suit this year and will hopefully get an end of season one in Ireland this month for about €200. Then hopefully next year I won't need any more equipment. Also if we book earlier we might get a package for €550 or something. And we will also try to be more sensible about food - not ordering a big dinner on the slopes and eating more of the €10 options in the restaurants. So including the ski suit I'm hoping to trim a couple hundred euro from the cost for next year. But you really can fly through the money out there. Especially when you can pay €4.50 for a coffee on the slopes!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭istaunton

4.50 for a coffee :eek:
    I dont drink coffee but that sounds crazy. Having spent nearly 20 weeks out there in the last 3 years I have never heard of any one pay that much.
    All my money usually goes on beer and most of it in the Umbrella bar

I can't remember which one it was, but probably one near the first gondala you get off once you go up. I was a bit taken aback by it. But fairly creep lunches (a bratwurst / half roast chicken, chips and pint of coke would still be about15e. Some of the meals a bit more. A drink after up on the slopes, then a couple in the jam jar or somewhere could be another 20e easily. Then a meal with wine is maybe 25e a head. Then you might have a couple more after or have other little expenses. You're spending €80 per day without going crazy at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭istaunton

Haha you've had about 10 drinks in your €80 and you haven't gone mad.
    Very proud of you right now :D

Haha! Fair point! I remember feeling a bit off one morning and my girlfriend saying i shouldn't since I didn't drink much the night before. Then we added it up and I'd have a gluwein, 2 pints, 3 glasses of wine and another 2 pints. But it's holidays, so it doesn't count!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

blue note wrote: »

I'm going to get my own ski suit this year and will hopefully get an end of season one in Ireland this month for about €200.

I know a few people that got these bundles and had no complaints
    https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/mens-ski-package-2016-p15961.aspx/one

I tries send you to to the Eu site where the bundle doesn't seem to be available anymore but ordering to parcel motel or the likes will solve that issue

• Advertisement
Advertisement