Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

27-06-2020, 18:18   #1
schmittel

What do we expect from the new Minister for Housing?

So our new Minister for Housing is Darragh O'Brien.

Judging by his previous comments on airbnb I'd expect him to try and hit the ground running with a clamp down on short term lets.

If for any reason he does not, then I think the theory that Irish governments prioritise maintaining high house prices above all else holds true.

Mod Note

Thread Split

Last edited by Graham; 27-06-2020 at 21:53.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
27-06-2020, 18:24   #2
nerrad01

They need a vacant property tax asap, letting all these apartments it empty to maintain an artificially inflated rent level is scandalous
27-06-2020, 18:46   #3
Hubertj

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmittel View Post
So our new Minister for Housing is Darragh O'Brien.

Judging by his previous comments on airbnb I'd expect him to try and hit the ground running with a clamp down on short term lets.

If for any reason he does not, then I think the theory that Irish governments prioritise maintaining high house prices above all else holds true.
Is the issue not that there is already legislation in place but councils are not enforcing it? Something about lack of resources to investigate? Something would have to be done in conjunction with revenue to make it more effective - if it is a stl property enforce planning and also check if a tax return has been made on the rental income.
Thanks from:
27-06-2020, 18:54   #4
schmittel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubertj View Post
Is the issue not that there is already legislation in place but councils are not enforcing it? Something about lack of resources to investigate? Something would have to be done in conjunction with revenue to make it more effective - if it is a stl property enforce planning and also check if a tax return has been made on the rental income.
If a minister wishes to enforce it, it is easily done. There is no issue with enforcement other than the political will to do so.
Thanks from:
27-06-2020, 20:03   #5
awec
Category Moderator

It'd be easy to introduce enforcement options now given the volume of short term lets is so small at the moment.

Make them all require a licence, and then put the onus on AirBnB and co to ensure that all their users have said license.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
27-06-2020, 21:20   #6
Jizique

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerrad01 View Post
They need a vacant property tax asap, letting all these apartments it empty to maintain an artificially inflated rent level is scandalous
Agree; huge issue in other large cities globally, but particularly the UK
27-06-2020, 22:36   #7
c.p.w.g.w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizique View Post
Agree; huge issue in other large cities globally, but particularly the UK
I think vacant retail lots should be heavily taxed...

A buddy of mine was looking for a premises and the quotes he got were outrageous...on the same street 7 vacant premises...all quoting the same price...this was 3 years ago 5 of the 7 units have remained vacant over the 3 years, the other 2 units have 5 different business's between them in the same period...

His focused his business almost entirely online as a result and it's still going strong...along with market stall at certain markets
(2) thanks from:
28-06-2020, 10:46   #8
Pkiernan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerrad01 View Post
I agree.
Let's also introduce a vacant spare room tax for people who could rent a room out too.
(4) thanks from:
28-06-2020, 10:53   #9
dickface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkiernan View Post
I agree.
Let's also introduce a vacant spare room tax for people who could rent a room out too.
Let's not
Advertisement
28-06-2020, 11:40   #10
antimatterx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkiernan View Post
I agree.
That's bs. You are quite entitled to live alone in more than a 1 bed if you can afford it. If I can afford a 3 bed on my own in a few years I'm going to have 1 bedroom, 1 study, 1 home gym.
28-06-2020, 11:56   #11
Pkiernan

Quote:
Originally Posted by antimatterx View Post
That's bs. You are quite entitled to live alone in more than a 1 bed if you can afford it. If I can afford a 3 bed on my own in a few years I'm going to have 1 bedroom, 1 study, 1 home gym.
But we're in the middle of a homelessness crisis.

Thats seems sufficient to make up any retro active laws we want.
28-06-2020, 12:53   #12
perfectkama

just Tax more, Reg, license, and ban any evictions from private LLs, that should increase the the rate of exit of these freeloaders
28-06-2020, 12:57   #13
screamer

More of the same, the same as we should expect from any new minister, new faces same old track. Look they left Pascal Donohue where he is, why? My guess is the fiscal policies are not going to change so no point changing there, we are still following an imf/eu mandated fiscal policy from which there is very little room for manoeuvre

Last edited by screamer; 28-06-2020 at 13:01.
28-06-2020, 12:59   #14
NIMAN

I expect nothing to change.
(2) thanks from:
28-06-2020, 13:04   #15
Rodney Bathgate

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectkama View Post
just Tax more, Reg, license, and ban any evictions from private LLs, that should increase the the rate of exit of these freeloaders
By freeloaders you mean HAP recipients?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion