Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
27-06-2020, 18:18   #1
schmittel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,888
What do we expect from the new Minister for Housing?

So our new Minister for Housing is Darragh O'Brien.

Judging by his previous comments on airbnb I'd expect him to try and hit the ground running with a clamp down on short term lets.

If for any reason he does not, then I think the theory that Irish governments prioritise maintaining high house prices above all else holds true.



Mod Note

Thread Split

Last edited by Graham; 27-06-2020 at 21:53.
schmittel is online now  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
27-06-2020, 18:24   #2
nerrad01
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 194
They need a vacant property tax asap, letting all these apartments it empty to maintain an artificially inflated rent level is scandalous
nerrad01 is offline  
27-06-2020, 18:46   #3
Hubertj
Registered User
 
Hubertj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 1,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmittel View Post
So our new Minister for Housing is Darragh O'Brien.

Judging by his previous comments on airbnb I'd expect him to try and hit the ground running with a clamp down on short term lets.

If for any reason he does not, then I think the theory that Irish governments prioritise maintaining high house prices above all else holds true.
Is the issue not that there is already legislation in place but councils are not enforcing it? Something about lack of resources to investigate? Something would have to be done in conjunction with revenue to make it more effective - if it is a stl property enforce planning and also check if a tax return has been made on the rental income.
Hubertj is offline  
Thanks from:
27-06-2020, 18:54   #4
schmittel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubertj View Post
Is the issue not that there is already legislation in place but councils are not enforcing it? Something about lack of resources to investigate? Something would have to be done in conjunction with revenue to make it more effective - if it is a stl property enforce planning and also check if a tax return has been made on the rental income.
If a minister wishes to enforce it, it is easily done. There is no issue with enforcement other than the political will to do so.
schmittel is online now  
Thanks from:
27-06-2020, 20:03   #5
awec
Category Moderator
 
awec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 42,559
It'd be easy to introduce enforcement options now given the volume of short term lets is so small at the moment.

Make them all require a licence, and then put the onus on AirBnB and co to ensure that all their users have said license.
awec is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
27-06-2020, 21:20   #6
Jizique
Registered User
 
Jizique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerrad01 View Post
They need a vacant property tax asap, letting all these apartments it empty to maintain an artificially inflated rent level is scandalous
Agree; huge issue in other large cities globally, but particularly the UK
Jizique is offline  
27-06-2020, 22:36   #7
c.p.w.g.w
Registered User
 
c.p.w.g.w's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 3,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizique View Post
Agree; huge issue in other large cities globally, but particularly the UK
I think vacant retail lots should be heavily taxed...

A buddy of mine was looking for a premises and the quotes he got were outrageous...on the same street 7 vacant premises...all quoting the same price...this was 3 years ago 5 of the 7 units have remained vacant over the 3 years, the other 2 units have 5 different business's between them in the same period...

His focused his business almost entirely online as a result and it's still going strong...along with market stall at certain markets
c.p.w.g.w is offline  
(2) thanks from:
28-06-2020, 10:46   #8
Pkiernan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerrad01 View Post
They need a vacant property tax asap, letting all these apartments it empty to maintain an artificially inflated rent level is scandalous
I agree.
Let's also introduce a vacant spare room tax for people who could rent a room out too.
Pkiernan is offline  
(4) thanks from:
28-06-2020, 10:53   #9
dickface
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkiernan View Post
I agree.
Let's also introduce a vacant spare room tax for people who could rent a room out too.
Let's not
dickface is offline  
Advertisement
28-06-2020, 11:40   #10
antimatterx
Registered User
 
antimatterx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkiernan View Post
I agree.
Let's also introduce a vacant spare room tax for people who could rent a room out too.
That's bs. You are quite entitled to live alone in more than a 1 bed if you can afford it. If I can afford a 3 bed on my own in a few years I'm going to have 1 bedroom, 1 study, 1 home gym.
antimatterx is offline  
28-06-2020, 11:56   #11
Pkiernan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by antimatterx View Post
That's bs. You are quite entitled to live alone in more than a 1 bed if you can afford it. If I can afford a 3 bed on my own in a few years I'm going to have 1 bedroom, 1 study, 1 home gym.
But we're in the middle of a homelessness crisis.

Thats seems sufficient to make up any retro active laws we want.
Pkiernan is offline  
28-06-2020, 12:53   #12
perfectkama
Registered User
 
perfectkama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 106
just Tax more, Reg, license, and ban any evictions from private LLs, that should increase the the rate of exit of these freeloaders
perfectkama is offline  
28-06-2020, 12:57   #13
screamer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,419
More of the same, the same as we should expect from any new minister, new faces same old track. Look they left Pascal Donohue where he is, why? My guess is the fiscal policies are not going to change so no point changing there, we are still following an imf/eu mandated fiscal policy from which there is very little room for manoeuvre

Last edited by screamer; 28-06-2020 at 13:01.
screamer is online now  
28-06-2020, 12:59   #14
NIMAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 24,516
I expect nothing to change.
NIMAN is offline  
(2) thanks from:
28-06-2020, 13:04   #15
Rodney Bathgate
Registered User
 
Rodney Bathgate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 2,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectkama View Post
just Tax more, Reg, license, and ban any evictions from private LLs, that should increase the the rate of exit of these freeloaders
By freeloaders you mean HAP recipients?
Rodney Bathgate is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet