Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

30-06-2020, 14:19   #1
mariaalice

House on a budget

https://www.image.ie/interiors/tiny-...oIbWeG0hz8dOTc

This tiny house in Leitrim took just €25,000 – and 50 days – to build

It dose not mention planning permission but he must have had permission.
Advertisement
30-06-2020, 14:49   #2
Graham

That was a really interesting project, you can read more about it and view the plans / build instructions at irishvernacular.com

50 days over 2 years, it was an incredible achievement on such a tiny budget, unfortunately there's been little additional detail since it was originally built in around 2011 IIRC. I don't know of any similar projects since.
30-06-2020, 14:53   #3
awec
Category Moderator

No mention as to whether or not it's actually compliant with building regs.

It looks like a shed that he's basically fitted out with plywood and plasterboard and called it a house. Would love to know what it's like to sit in on a cold, windy night.
30-06-2020, 14:56   #4
mariaalice

Quote:
Originally Posted by awec View Post
No mention as to whether or not it's actually compliant with building regs.

It looks like a shed that he's basically fitted out with plywood and plasterboard and called it a house. Would love to know what it's like to sit in on a cold, windy night.
If you read the article its says its highley insulate, yes it would be interesting to know if it complies with building regs.
30-06-2020, 14:57   #5
Graham

If I remember correctly the architect (owner) was employed in a professional capacity by one of the LAs at the time. I'd be incredibly surprised to discover anything was done contrary to building / planning regs.
Advertisement
30-06-2020, 14:58   #6
seamus
Dental Plan!

Send a message via MSN to seamus
Not to take away from the value of the project, but the vast majority of building costs are in the labour.

That notwithstanding, you would still get a decent property for around €100k (not including the site), and a proper builder would stick it together in less than 2 years

Here in Ireland we're quite married to the idea of having large unique homes on plots of land. Hence the popularity of Dermot Bannon and such. This is probably why this kind of design-sharing, or small economical homes has never been a big thing here.
30-06-2020, 15:00   #7
awec
Category Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
If I remember correctly the architect (owner) was employed in a professional capacity by one of the LAs at the time. I'd be incredibly surprised to discover anything was done contrary to building / planning regs.
I would be surprised if it's in any way compliant as generally complying with regs for a habitable dwelling makes super-cheap housing impossible.

Otherwise these huts would just be popping up everywhere.
30-06-2020, 15:02   #8
Graham

There's a piece by another architect that calculated all the U values for the IVH. Worth a Google if you're interested.

The same architect that designed/built the IVH was also involved with Cloughjordan Ecovillage at one stage. Another interesting and fairly closely related project.

http://www.thevillage.ie/

http://www.thevillage.ie/wp-content/...nicstevens.pdf

Last edited by Graham; 30-06-2020 at 15:05.
30-06-2020, 15:07   #9
Graham

Quote:
Originally Posted by awec View Post
I would be surprised if it's in any way compliant as generally complying with regs for a habitable dwelling makes super-cheap housing impossible.

Otherwise these huts would just be popping up everywhere.
Irish Vernacular style obviously isn't going to work in an urban setting and once you get out of the towns, local needs is going to scupper a lot of potential projects.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion