Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-11-2020, 02:11   #46
spookwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by murpho999 View Post
It's Met Eireann, not that difficult.

I'm sorry but I'm not accepting that maps in 1985 are better than what Met Eireann provide now.

Nor do I use UK Met office for Irish weather.
As you were saying..
From 1994

Well I do not rely on 1 service for my weather If I did I would one very wet person if I had followed met.ie today.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
17-11-2020, 02:18   #47
Rubberchikken

I find the met eireann forecasts way off the mark lately.
Dhs they were more accurate when they were depending on some fella in a field with a bucket

Don't know the presenters anymore so can't comment on them. Used to like gerald fleming and the people before him. They seemed to be actual meteorologists not the tv personalities some stations have now. Feeling old*sigh*
(2) thanks from:
18-11-2020, 05:57   #48
Wanderer78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubberchikken
Don't know the presenters anymore so can't comment on them. Used to like gerald fleming and the people before him. They seemed to be actual meteorologists not the tv personalities some stations have now. Feeling old*sigh*
The reality is, many scientists tend to be poor communicators, it's one of the reasons why we 're moving towards more polished presentors, but the scientific feel is slowly being lost for us weather geeks.
Thanks from:
18-11-2020, 10:38   #49
Gaoth Laidir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubberchikken View Post
I find the met eireann forecasts way off the mark lately.
Dhs they were more accurate when they were depending on some fella in a field with a bucket

All RTÉ1 presenters are qualified meteorologists.
(3) thanks from:
18-11-2020, 11:47   #50
compsys

It's been commented on already but my two main problems are:

1. The graphics - as someone else commented the graphics almost seemed better 15 years ago than they are now. They look so poor. How is this even possible?

2. Consistency - it feels like there's a lot of personal bias in the forecasts - sometimes in the space of an hour or two a June forecast could go from "feeling mild with some sun peaking through with temperature reaching 18º or higher" to "feeling cool for mid summer, with temperatures average at best in mostly cloudy conditions'. I guess it depends if you're a glass half full person or not. But there needs to be more consistency around what constitutes cool, mild, warm and hot in each month. Similarly, one day an 18º temp on the map might be a red to convey warmth, the next day it's suddenly a yellow conveying a cooler temp - no consistency.

For me however, I've no problem with non-meteorologists presenting the weather. I find TV presenters often do a better and 'cleaner' job.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
18-11-2020, 12:00   #51
mickger844posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaoth Laidir View Post
All RTÉ1 presenters are qualified meteorologists.
This is not correct. Presenters in the daytime eg. after the news at one are not qualified meteorologists. After 6 one news and 9 news are qualified.
18-11-2020, 12:29   #52
Macy0161

BBC weather isn't met office any more is it? One of the Tory "cost savings" imposed I thought.

I don't generally mind the forecasts, but they seem to cut from the projected rainfall before it runs through the following day? That's what I generally like about the BBC weather - they give you the rain/ showers for the following day so you can have some idea, and it's a flow. The RTE forecast is just the hourly blocks like you get on met.ie.

I would think some of the newer try to give the science behind it. One of those they can't win to be honest.
18-11-2020, 12:29   #53
Harry Palmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by compsys View Post
It's been commented on already but my two main problems are:

1. The graphics - as someone else commented the graphics almost seemed better 15 years ago than they are now. They look so poor. How is this even possible?

2. Consistency - it feels like there's a lot of personal bias in the forecasts - sometimes in the space of an hour or two a June forecast could go from "feeling mild with some sun peaking through with temperature reaching 18º or higher" to "feeling cool for mid summer, with temperatures average at best in mostly cloudy conditions'. I guess it depends if you're a glass half full person or not. But there needs to be more consistency around what constitutes cool, mild, warm and hot in each month. Similarly, one day an 18º temp on the map might be a red to convey warmth, the next day it's suddenly a yellow conveying a cooler temp - no consistency.

For me however, I've no problem with non-meteorologists presenting the weather. I find TV presenters often do a better and 'cleaner' job.
There should be an agreed forecast at a given point in the day and that forecast should be scripted for that day and read out without being "enhanced" with off the cuff wording or materially changed unless there are genuine developments in the weather during the day.

I'd love to see more attention paid to the Atlantic as it's the body which dominates our weather - show the ECM for it for say 5 days so that we have a general feel for whats coming and when.
(3) thanks from:
18-11-2020, 17:55   #54
Wanderer78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macy0161
BBC weather isn't met office any more is it? One of the Tory "cost savings" imposed I thought.
Yea its done by a private company now, 'apparently better'!
Advertisement
20-11-2020, 09:33   #55
BrianD3

Just noticed something this morning - when RTE does repeats of The Today Show it is including weather forecasts as originally broadcast i.e. the previous day. On this occasion it was Michelle Dillon's forecast. Given that the forecasts regularly use the terms "today" and "tonight" rather than Thursday, Friday, does anyone think that this is lazy, sloppy broadcasting. ME shouldn't be allowing this in my view. And yeah, I know it is only one day later and obviously nobody is going to decide it's safe to put to sea based on happening to catch one of these forecasts.

Last edited by BrianD3; 20-11-2020 at 09:42.
20-11-2020, 12:35   #56
ZX7R

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD3 View Post
Just noticed something this morning - when RTE does repeats of The Today Show it is including weather forecasts as originally broadcast i.e. the previous day. On this occasion it was Michelle Dillon's forecast. Given that the forecasts regularly use the terms "today" and "tonight" rather than Thursday, Friday, does anyone think that this is lazy, sloppy broadcasting. ME shouldn't be allowing this in my view. And yeah, I know it is only one day later and obviously nobody is going to decide it's safe to put to sea based on happening to catch one of these forecasts.
The wording of today ,tonight is not the problem nor is the forecast it's lazy sloppy broadcasting by rte as it's a live show been reshown it should be indicated by the broadcaster as such .they should have a scroll at the bottom of the screen for the forecast saying when recorded they are able to do this if a competition was run and phone lines are now closed ect
20-11-2020, 15:17   #57
Cluedo Monopoly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit.de.frog View Post
TG4 weather girls are so hot.
Does your wife ever catch you watching the TG4 weather when a girl is presenting knowing (a) you have very poor Irish and (b) you saw the weather on RTE earlier?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion