Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ardee

Options
  • 06-01-2020 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hello. I was hoping some people living in Ardee could tell me what it’s like to live there!! Have viewed several houses and like one in particular that I am going to offer on. Have been to visit relatives in the town a few times every year since I was a kid but not overly familiar with it these days. Good for food shopping, butcher, fishmonger, veg shop, supermarket?? Decent cafes & restaurants?? Really good Chinese takeaway by any chance??!! Would appreciate any info at all. Also re- estates that I should avoid. TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭peejay1986

LOU76 wrote: »
    Hello. I was hoping some people living in Ardee could tell me what it’s like to live there!! Have viewed several houses and like one in particular that I am going to offer on. Have been to visit relatives in the town a few times every year since I was a kid but not overly familiar with it these days. Good for food shopping, butcher, fishmonger, veg shop, supermarket?? Decent cafes & restaurants?? Really good Chinese takeaway by any chance??!! Would appreciate any info at all. Also re- estates that I should avoid. TIA.

Lived in Ardee all my life and aside from the general bordem that sets in having lived here for that long, I think it's a nice place to live. You're close to bigger towns such as Dundalk or Drogheda, less than an hour from Dublin and just a bit more to Belfast. It's a great location to be in, geographically.

As for your questions...

Plenty of options for food shopping; For supermarkets there is SuperValu, Centra and Lidl, with plenty of convenience stores dotted around.

Got a couple of good independent butchers in Commins and Callaghans, as well the supermarkets. There is also a mobile fishmonger that visits once (possibly twice) a week. SuperValu I believe have one too. In terms of veg shops, there is a nice farm shop on Kells Road; Hickeys. They have nice, fresh produce.

Ardee isn't great for cafes and restaurants to be honest. I tend to find myself going outside the town if I go for a meal, however Nosh and Muldoons are good at what they do. Plenty of nice restaurants nearby though in Collon, Dundalk, Drogheda, Carrickmacross etc. You won't be stuck for choice locally, but may just need a taxi if you fancy a drink.

Cafes are lacking severely. There is Bliss Tea Rooms and a new cafe at Centra, but that's it really.

Pubs are not lacking as there's an abundance of choice there!

Decent Chinese takeaway? Chinese Palace (Arthurs) is extremely popular. To be honest I would 9/10 get a curry chip or similar from it but the Chinese food itself is nice. There is another beside it called Rice which has a sit-down restaurant too. That is a more 'classic' Chinese restaurant and I find it nice also. It's hard to beat a 3-in-1 from Arthurs, though! Of course, there's also the famous Mario's takeaway too if you like chips ;)

As for estates to avoid...look, personally there are a couple I wouldn't be keen on myself and a couple that would have a bad reputation. However, I don't like to say these kind of things for all to see as it's not right to tarnish a place based purely on my own opinion. If you want to PM I can give my opinion on there, or perhaps someone else wouldn't mind being more open on their views.

If you've any more questions, fire away.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 LOU76

Thank you so much for your detailed reply!!! I will PM now with additional questions. Very much appreciate your insight.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Shinsen

peejay1986 wrote: »
    Lived in Ardee all my life and aside from the general bordem that sets in having lived here for that long, I think it's a nice place to live. You're close to bigger towns such as Dundalk or Drogheda, less than an hour from Dublin and just a bit more to Belfast. It's a great location to be in, geographically.

As for your questions...

Plenty of options for food shopping; For supermarkets there is SuperValu, Centra and Lidl, with plenty of convenience stores dotted around.

Got a couple of good independent butchers in Commins and Callaghans, as well the supermarkets. There is also a mobile fishmonger that visits once (possibly twice) a week. SuperValu I believe have one too. In terms of veg shops, there is a nice farm shop on Kells Road; Hickeys. They have nice, fresh produce.

Ardee isn't great for cafes and restaurants to be honest. I tend to find myself going outside the town if I go for a meal, however Nosh and Muldoons are good at what they do. Plenty of nice restaurants nearby though in Collon, Dundalk, Drogheda, Carrickmacross etc. You won't be stuck for choice locally, but may just need a taxi if you fancy a drink.

Cafes are lacking severely. There is Bliss Tea Rooms and a new cafe at Centra, but that's it really.

Pubs are not lacking as there's an abundance of choice there!

Decent Chinese takeaway? Chinese Palace (Arthurs) is extremely popular. To be honest I would 9/10 get a curry chip or similar from it but the Chinese food itself is nice. There is another beside it called Rice which has a sit-down restaurant too. That is a more 'classic' Chinese restaurant and I find it nice also. It's hard to beat a 3-in-1 from Arthurs, though! Of course, there's also the famous Mario's takeaway too if you like chips ;)

As for estates to avoid...look, personally there are a couple I wouldn't be keen on myself and a couple that would have a bad reputation. However, I don't like to say these kind of things for all to see as it's not right to tarnish a place based purely on my own opinion. If you want to PM I can give my opinion on there, or perhaps someone else wouldn't mind being more open on their views.

If you've any more questions, fire away.

Hello,

I also may move to Ardee and don't know anyone living in the town. Thank you for sharing your information.
    Could I please ask to pm me as well in relation to the estates? I tried to pm you, but it seems like your mailbox is full.
    Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Shinsen

I'd like to ask as well, are there any gym, swimming pools or places where they do courses like pilates or yoga?
    Are there any walk tracks in town or just outside the town?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Shinsen wrote: »
    I'd like to ask as well, are there any gym, swimming pools or places where they do courses like pilates or yoga?
    Are there any walk tracks in town or just outside the town?

Gyms - Yes. There's Zoo Fitness which is a nice facility (apparently - I'm not great for that kind of thing!) and then another option which does private classes and personal training. Options in town for spin classes, HIIT training etc. Well stocked in this regard.

Pilates / Yoga - Plenty of options! Oriel Yoga is one I'm familiar with, but it's a little bit outside Ardee. There are more central ones.

Swimming Pools - Nope. It's something we're really lacking. Closest would be Felda in Dundalk. Options in Drogheda too.

Walks - There's a walk along the old railway line, but not really anything else. There's a couple of ponds / lakes nearby that are nice to walk around, but requires a drive to them.

Sorry, didn't realise about my mailbox. Sorted that, so PM anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement