Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

sodacat11 wrote: »
    ... I am not ordering books or stuff by post as I usually would in case the items could be infected...
    A virus won't live on something like that for too long. I think the figure for paper and cardboard is something like 1-2 days. You could order a book, and then leave it tucked away somewhere for a week or two (taking whatever precautions you like in handling it briefly), and it'll be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭sodacat11

mikhail wrote: »
    A virus won't live on something like that for too long. I think the figure for paper and cardboard is something like 1-2 days. You could order a book, and then leave it tucked away somewhere for a week or two (taking whatever precautions you like in handling it briefly), and it'll be fine.
    Thanks for that but I already have a load of chess books that I haven't even started yet so better that I read them before buying any more, Some like Kotronia's Grandmaster Battle Manual and Flear's Practical Endgame play would take months(if not years) to study properly and all the Dvoretsky books are very time consuming too.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭pdemp

For any math heads or anyone who wants to have a look at some of the models for this type of thing I've stuck together something here: http://covid19.dazult.com/covid19.html

It more illustrative than anything, and I haven't had the time to look outside of Ireland, China, Italy, Spain and France, but it shows if you change some of the parameters by even a little the end results can be massively different. Feedback welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭RooksPawn

The European Chess Union held a Zoom meeting last week (on the 21st) to discuss measures for reopening over the board chess and have published a set of protocols that include social distancing of 1.5 metres between players, and masks but not gloves. No spectators, only players (who leave the hall as soon as their games are over) and arbiters.

One representative was allowed from each federation but did the ICU have a participant?

https://www.europechess.org/how-to-restart-otb-chess-activities/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

A number of European countries have reduced their social distancing guidelines to 1.5m or even 1m. I think the expectations are that Ireland will do the same as some point in the roadmap (in phase 2-5).

A number of European countries have reduced their social distancing guidelines to 1.5m or even 1m. I think the expectations are that Ireland will do the same as some point in the roadmap (in phase 2-5).
    A return to action is beginning to become a reality, let's hope that it happens in time for the Irish Championships!

No Covid deaths in Ireland yesterday!! Things do seem to be improving. We haven't heard anything from the ICU on how it is thinking regarding a resumption. Obviously the steps laid out by the government will have to be adhered to but what is the feeling within the organisation? Is the Irish Championship still a feasible prospect?

No Covid deaths in Ireland yesterday!! Things do seem to be improving. We haven't heard anything from the ICU on how it is thinking regarding a resumption. Obviously the steps laid out by the government will have to be adhered to but what is the feeling within the organisation? Is the Irish Championship still a feasible prospect?

It was Monday no deaths were announced, not yesterday. There have been quite a few announced since, unfortunately, but some were historic.
    Maybe the appetite to play again would come back if we had a week without deaths.
    I think ICU said they would make a decision in June about the Irish Championships. After the expected announcements from NPHET and the caretaker government expected on 5 June would seem a good time?
    It's very hard to see how things will look in August. At least we know now that Colaiste Eanna won't be running Leaving Cert exams then (which would have made holding the tournaments there impossible).

RooksPawn wrote: »
    It was Monday no deaths were announced, not yesterday.

Every day feels much the same these days, I have to check online to see what day and date it is. I have had to conjure up lots of new ideas to fill my days. I have become very good at scrabble and have even taken up gardening :eek: wonders never cease. The weather is just too good to do any chess study.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Retd.LoyolaCpt

Hi All,

Not sure anyone has linked these in the thread yet but the ECU have put out two guidelines. One via the Slovenian Chess Federation and then one from ECU themselves which seem to be a slightly watered down version of the former. (makes sense that they'd be less strict as they were issued a week or two later when Europe had another dip in cases and deaths).

We had prepared some ideas for guidelines but they were put together in early May and would appear very cautious by comparison. I'll be reaching out to prospective Irish Championship players for opinions this and next week (life is a bit hectic for me at the moment - as I meant to do this sooner but I would guess that opinions may have swung a bit in that time). Will do my best to have announcements/information etc within a week.

Hopefully within that week, we will have some guidance from the government on if/when social distancing will go from 2m to 1.5m or 1m. As is, 2m means we probably can have a max of 28 players in a 150 meter squared room.

"Recommendations and guidelines for conducting chess tournaments
    during the Covid-19 epidemic (by Slovenian Chess Federation)

In addition to the general recommendations for the prevention of infection with the new
    coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 for the implementation of organized chess training and tournaments,
    the following instructions must be observed:
    • All props (pieces, clocks, chess boards, tables and chairs) must be properly disinfected
    beforehand.
    • The playing hall must be entered individually and at a distance of at least 2 m.
    • Upon entering the playing hall, participants must wash or disinfect their hands.
    • All participants (chess players, coaches and referees) must wear a face mask prior to
    entering the playing hall and keep wearing it until the start of the training/tournament.
    The players can take off their masks during the training/tournament. Immediately
    after the training/tournament they must put them on and wear them until leaving the
    playing hall. Coaches and referees must wear a mask at all times.
    • Except for the players, only those persons who have to be present for the
    training/tournament should be present during the training/tournament.
    • During the training/tournament, the participants must keep a distance of at least 1.5
    meters between each other.
    • The preparation and removal of chessboards, pieces and clocks can only be done by
    the present referees/trainers, who must wash or disinfect their hands several times
    during the training/tournament.
    • During the training/tournament breaks, each participant must first wash or disinfect
    his hands, use his own towel, bottle or other accessories and keep a distance of 2
    meters to the other participants.
    • After the training/tournament, each participant must take away all personal
    belongings and packaging waste from the facility.
    • Afterthe training/tournament all props(pieces, clocks, chess boards, tables and chairs)
    and other equipment must be properly disinfected. After the training/tournament it is
    necessary to clean/disinfect the floor of the building as well as objects and surfaces
    that are frequently touched. When using the disinfectant, we must strictly follow the
    manufacturer's instructions, especially those, concerning the contact time (the time
    the disinfectant takes to destroy microbes on objects).
    • All participants must wash or disinfect their hands again immediately after the end of
    the training/tournament and prior to leaving the training area,
    • All participants should leave the playing hall as soon as possible and should not stay in
    the facility.
    • The playing hall must have the option of regular ventilation (windows).
    • The distance between the individual tables must be at least 1.5 m.

We also advise the following:
    • The playing area must be ventilated regularly and efficiently.
    • The playing area must be ventilated before and after each training/tournament.
    • During the training/tournament the premises should be ventilated as much as
    possible.
    • The playing area must be regularly cleaned and disinfected.
    • Disinfectant dispensers must be provided at the entrance of the facility, at several
    visible points in the facility and at the exit of the facility.
    • In the toilet facilities, adequate cleaning and disinfection of the premises and constant
    ventilation must be ensured. Participants should move in such a way that a distance of
    2 m is observed at all times. The number of persons who can be in the toilets at the
    same time should be adapted to the size of the toilet facility.
    • Cloakrooms and common areas should be locked and not used by participants unless"

Sensible suggestions! I would be happy to play if those rules were properly enforced. It is up to each one of us to be personally responsible for hygiene, if we wear masks, wash hands regularly, sanitize and, most importantly, don't arrive at tournaments if we have a cough, fever or any other symptoms then we can all play chess safely. I am very much looking forward to a return to action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Joedryan

I'm a lot more hopeful than I once was now, maybe with proper measures in place it will be possible to play something in the Summer, although its all still in a state of flux as we need to see what impact lockdown relaxation will have.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭HaraldSchmidt

I presume the shaking of hands will be forbidden. But there doesn't seem to be anything that mentions that in these suggestions. They look suspiciously copied from some other sporting federation's recommendations.

Its in our own guidelines anyway. But you're right, strange omission.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭macelligott

I think the main concern should be good ventilation! If that means the room is a bit chilly, people can wear warm jumpers. Distancing is of little use where people are in the same room for four hours if the ventilation isn’t excellent. And that means fresh air, not internal ventilation systems.
    If the ventilation is good, I’d be reasonably happy to play :-)

• Advertisement

Certainly tournaments where there are relatively small numbers in separate rooms should be very feasible. With a venue like Scoil Eanna or The Talbot in Stillorgan this should not be a problem so the Irish Ch and the City of Dublin should go ahead. Gonzaga has a big well ventilated hall for the bulk of players and others can play safely in the library and theatre. Kilkenny and Bunratty might be trickier to organise with anything like the numbers we are used to but November and February are a long way off so maybe things will be different by then. I have a few foreign tournaments that I regularly attend and they are invariably in crowded venues so they are the ones i'd be most concerned about missing especially as they entail flying and having to stay in hotels neither of which I'd be happy to do while Covid is still an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Gonzaga has a big well ventilated hall for the bulk of players and others can play safely in the library and theatre.

I haven't spoken to the school board yet but I can envisage the tournament not taking place this year. If schools aren't returning completely normally in September (and we've been getting very mixed messages from the Department of Education) and if there will be school closures in the event of confirmed positive cases, I could imagine the school board not wanting 300 members of the public walking around the school for 3 days.

But obviously it's too early to say what will happen. I don't want to be a harbinger of doom; it might all be fine. It's just very hard to predict what this will be like in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Joedryan

I think the main concern should be good ventilation! If that means the room is a bit chilly, people can wear warm jumpers. Distancing is of little use where people are in the same room for four hours if the ventilation isn’t excellent. And that means fresh air, not internal ventilation systems.
    If the ventilation is good, I’d be reasonably happy to play :-)

What about playing outdoors?

Irish unpredictable weather might be an issue mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 dave grant

Hi all, Dave here from the host venue for the Irish Championship and the City of Dublin, do you think both these events should go ahead? and what other things need to be in place to make you feel more comfortable in playing face to face? let us know how you and your friends feel.

dave grant wrote: »
    Hi all, Dave here from the host venue for the Irish Championship and the City of Dublin, do you think both these events should go ahead? and what other things need to be in place to make you feel more comfortable in playing face to face? let us know how you and your friends feel.
    YES, these events should definitely go ahead. We are faced with a new reality now and things might not get much better than they are now for quite some time.If sensible precautions are taken I can see no reason why chess shouldn't resume. Probably numbers will be down at tournaments but that would be no bad thing while we are getting back on our feet and experimenting with the new procedures. Scoil Eanna is one of the most suitable venues for a tournament so a very good place to start things off.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Surely for now chess is one of the main games it would be entirely possible to do completely virtually, with spectators and the whole lot?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Do you mean online?

Problem with online chess is it's far easier to cheat. And it just takes a couple to do it and it ruins things for everyone.

Plus part of the psychology of chess is seeing your opponent react to a move, or bluffing him into believing your plan. Hard to do that online.

I'm playing a bit of online at the moment (like most of us are) and it's not the same at all I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭EnPassant

Could you combine online and offline?

For example,
    - a chess tournament would take place in the normal type of venue (school hall, hotel venue, etc.)
    - all players would play in the tournament venue
    - players with white are at one set of tables, players with black at another. Nobody would be sitting within 2 metres of anyone else, or be sitting across the table from another player
    - each player would have a laptop/tablet in front of them which they would use to make their moves (via lichess or some other site). The fact that everyone is in the same room, even though players are moving online, would severely diminish the possibility of cheating.

Maybe we should look into also playing league matches like this also - e.g. instead of a team from Dublin travelling 100 miles on a Saturday for a league match against a provincial club why not play the match on the provincial club's home night, with each team playing from their respective home venues? Even if some matches still took place on Saturdays, it would cut down drastically on travelling time.

I think if you played a league game as outlined, with the best will in the world you're still always opening yourself up to the accusation of cheating.

I also think there's a difference between playing on a 2D screen and playing on a 3D board too; I don't like the former at all. I find I don't spot as much over the virtual board as over the real board, and I know my eyes aren't moving around the board making connections as often.

Maybe that's just me, I don't see online chess being a proper replacement for the real thing tbh.

cdeb wrote: »
    I think if you played a league game as outlined, with the best will in the world you're still always opening yourself up to the accusation of cheating.

I also think there's a difference between playing on a 2D screen and playing on a 3D board too; I don't like the former at all. I find I don't spot as much over the virtual board as over the real board, and I know my eyes aren't moving around the board making connections as often.

Maybe that's just me, I don't see online chess being a proper replacement for the real thing tbh.
    It's not just you. Playing chess on a screen is a poor substitute for the real thing but it could be an option for elderly players and people with underlying health conditions or those who are just too afraid to attend a "normal" tournament. Let's hold the Irish Championship and The City of Dublin in Scoil Eanna with proper boards and pieces and see how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

dave grant wrote: »
    I would think the main categories would be:
    • Hand washing facilities
    • Well spaced playing venue - the boards not being too close to one another
    • Well ventilated playing hall

Can anyone suggest anything else?

Personally, I'm not ready to return to the board, but things have evolved relatively quickly over the past month or so, and I could imagine feeling differently in August or September.

Contestants would have to wear masks.

Contestants would have to wear masks.

Yes, the Slovenian protocols quoted above don't say wear a mask throughout play but the ECU ones, below, agreed on 21 May do say that. Also note: gloves should NOT be worn.

I have serious doubts whether the (Gents) toilet facilities at the proposed school venue will be adequate for a large Congress like the City of Dublin under the present circumstances. It should be OK if only the championship main tournament is held there.

It is hard to see the Ballyroan school library being large enough for more than about four or five games. There can only be one game instead of two at a table and the tables need to be further apart than they were at the City of Dublin last year. Players cannot be seated back to back at less than 1.5m either.

This means the Irish championship needs to be in the big hall, which is on two levels, and there will only be space for a few small round-robin tournaments elsewhere in the school. Unless, of course, there is a very small entry.

I find it hard to believe that adequate social distancing would be possible during a blitz tournament and therefore that should be cancelled.

Summarising the common points of the meeting:

Chess activities may restart in National Level under specific measures & protocols applying internationally but mainly locally.
    It is recommended to start with small scale events with limited participants (f.e. round robin tournaments).
    It is recommended participants to sign a declaration about possible symptoms.
    Space per player in playing halls shall be increased to cover at least the requirement of 1.5 m distance between the players.
    The indoor playing hall must be ventilated regularly and efficiently before, during and after the rounds. It is not recommended any tournaments in rooms with no proper ventilation.
    Outdoor chess activities are recommended. Upon entering or exiting the playing hall, during the breaks participants must wash or disinfect their hands.
    The Room pieces, clocks, chess boards, tables and chairs must be properly disinfected beforehand and after each round.
    Face surgical mask is strongly recommended for all players and arbiters but no gloves.
    In the toilet facilities, adequate cleaning and disinfection of the premises and constant ventilation must be ensured. Participants should move in such a way that a distance of 1,5 m is observed at all times.
    In the tournament hall shall be present only players and tournament staff. Players shall leave the playing hall by the end of their game.
    Covid19 tests is not a practical and reliable solution for chess events participants especially in national level and in mass competitions.
    It is foreseen that would be difficult to hold mass and especially international youth events in 2020, however there is possibility to hold professional events’ as the European Individual Championships (Open & Women) the last 3 months of 2020.

Round robins are a good idea. I think that masks should be compulsory not just "highly recommended". There will be no water dispensers at tournaments so presumably people won't need the toilet as much. We are going to have to get back to having tournaments at some point so the sooner the better. Covid 19 is not that prevalent among the general population now so I think with sensible precautions we can safely resume chess activity. I wouldn't bother with blitz or rapid tournaments, people can play those online.

Players will also need to stay in their seats and not wander around looking at the other games over people's shoulders.

I do agree, though, that some effort should be made to get chess going again in August if the R number and new cases/deaths stay very low or perhaps even decline to zero.

Probably it will be mostly younger players interested at first. The ICU should maybe think in terms of holding the 2020 Seniors at Easter rather than the usual New Year date.

• Advertisement

“ The ICU should maybe think in terms of holding the 2020 Seniors at Easter rather than the usual New Year date.”
    I have Already mentioned this idea to some senior players. Too many people get colds or coughs around January and anyone coughing during the tournament could be a serious distraction. Easter seems like a safer period to run the 50+/65+ Irish championship next year.

“ The ICU should maybe think in terms of holding the 2020 Seniors at Easter rather than the usual New Year date.”
    I have Already mentioned this idea to some senior players. Too many people get colds or coughs around January and anyone coughing during the tournament could be a serious distraction. Easter seems like a safer period to run the 50+/65+ Irish championship next year.

As I myself had to withdraw from the last Seniors Ch with a heavy cold I think moving it from January is a good idea, however, rather than have it clash with what are always excellent Easter tournaments why not just give it a weekend of it's own maybe in May?

“ however, rather than have it clash with what are always excellent Easter tournaments why not just give it a weekend of it's own maybe in May?”
    I believe most participants In the Irish 50+/65+ prefer the 7 round, 5 day format. Most of those, to whom I spoke, commented favourably on that format and their dislike of the usual 3 games on Saturday weekend format.
    There are plenty of weekend tournaments. It’s nice to have one where games alternate between one and two games a day.

“ however, rather than have it clash with what are always excellent Easter tournaments why not just give it a weekend of it's own maybe in May?”
    I believe most participants In the Irish 50+/65+ prefer the 7 round, 5 day format. Most of those, to whom I spoke, commented favourably on that format and their dislike of the usual 3 games on Saturday weekend format.
    There are plenty of weekend tournaments. It’s nice to have one where games alternate between one and two games a day.

I hate playing three games on a Saturday. Five rounds would suffice or else have it on the May bank holiday weekend. I know that given the choice between playing in a strong nine round open or round robin at Easter and playing in the Seniors I would go for the nine rounds every time. Better just leave in in January where it is and we can all top up on vitamin C in the preceding weeks.

There is an over-the-board tournament happening in Norway at the moment. It's a Swiss about the same size as the Irish Championship.

You can see pictures here:- https://www.twitch.tv/offerspillsk

I don’t see any thread for discussion of the 2020 Irish Championship.

You could start one!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭zeitnot

The most recent news item on the ICU web site (https://www.icu.ie/articles/894, April 5) says "we will follow news updates related to the spread of this virus and make a decision on the viability of the new dates in early June."

That would be about now. Is there any update?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Would be great if there’s an Irish championship. Not able to play many weekenders and it’s one of the few I’m able to play.

• Advertisement

Would be great if there’s an Irish championship. Not able to play many weekenders and it’s one of the few I’m able to play.

I would rate the chances of the weekenders being played at 50-50, and perhaps as ratings-related round-robin groups with minimal prize funds rather than a Swiss.

The prospects for the City of Dublins a month later look somewhat better if there is no second wave of Covid-19.

I would rate the chances of the weekenders being played at 50-50, and perhaps as ratings-related round-robin groups with minimal prize funds rather than a Swiss.

The prospects for the City of Dublins a month later look somewhat better if there is no second wave of Covid-19.

Things are pretty much getting back to normal in many areas. All the businesses where I live have reopened and traffic is back at close to normal levels. I can see no reason why the irish Championship shouldn't go ahead, it is a tournament with a great tradition that should be upheld.

Things are pretty much getting back to normal in many areas. All the businesses where I live have reopened and traffic is back at close to normal levels. I can see no reason why the irish Championship shouldn't go ahead, it is a tournament with a great tradition that should be upheld.

Well, what do you think about the ICU questionnaire that just circulated?

I think the suggestion of using two boards per game is unworkable and apart from anything else it complicates the live board arrangements - one player is on the live board and the opponent isn't, but the clock times cannot be done live like this.
    Maybe experienced players can handle it but I see it leading to all kinds of arbiter nightmares with games between lower-rated players.
    The alternative of a perspex screen between the 4th and 5th ranks is equally unworkable (apart from the expense).

I see the only option is to wait until Ireland has suppressed the virus to near-zero and then play normally (but possibly with masks/definitely sanitisers/ no handshakes and no spectators).

Looking on the bright side, there is a good chance we will have reached that stage by the end of July so long as we don't import new cases from GB or elsewhere.
    I see the main championship as being played with live boards so we can all watch from home, and I hope it goes ahead. The weekenders are much more problematic.

Players over 70 and/or living with "underlying medical conditions" (either their own or immediate family members) probably won't play chess over the board until there is a vaccine or zero Irish Covid-19 cases for several weeks, I think.

Well, what do you think about the ICU questionnaire that just circulated?

I think the suggestion of using two boards per game is unworkable and apart from anything else it complicates the live board arrangements - one player is on the live board and the opponent isn't, but the clock times cannot be done live like this.
    Maybe experienced players can handle it but I see it leading to all kinds of arbiter nightmares with games between lower-rated players.
    The alternative of a perspex screen between the 4th and 5th ranks is equally unworkable (apart from the expense).

I see the only option is to wait until Ireland has suppressed the virus to near-zero and then play normally (but possibly with masks/definitely sanitisers/ no handshakes and no spectators).

Looking on the bright side, there is a good chance we will have reached that stage by the end of July so long as we don't import new cases from GB or elsewhere.
    I see the main championship as being played with live boards so we can all watch from home, and I hope it goes ahead. The weekenders are much more problematic.

Players over 70 and/or living with "underlying medical conditions" (either their own or immediate family members) probably won't play chess over the board until there is a vaccine or zero Irish Covid-19 cases for several weeks, I think.

I agree with what you say. The two board idea is unworkable. The screen option is feasible but if players wear masks and everything is sanitized I don't see why we even need screens.

I agree with what you say. The two board idea is unworkable. The screen option is feasible but if players wear masks and everything is sanitized I don't see why we even need screens.

It’s being trialed anyway - be interested to hear how it went:
    https://mobile.twitter.com/PengZhaoqin/status/1273344449855266817/photo/1

It’s being trialed anyway - be interested to hear how it went:
    https://mobile.twitter.com/PengZhaoqin/status/1273344449855266817/photo/1
    Very interesting. It looks far more practical than I'd imagined. I think that I would prefer it now to screens.

• Advertisement

I wonder how time trouble would go?

You should be ok with 30 second increments - though Bunratty/St Andrew's operate 15 seconds - but it'd just take one wrong move called out by mistake (Qd4 instead of Qe4, say) to completely ruin the game; suddenly a rook is hanging on one board and it's not on the other. (I would hope no-one would deliberately call out a wrong move, but you never know...) Or an illegal move is called out and the clock is pressed - and now there's a debate on what the correct move is while the other player's clock is ticking. Not sure what the best way to resolve that issue would be.

I'm sure 99.9% of moves would be transcribed correctly or spotted quickly in the case of an illegal move, but given an Irish Championships of 12 games of 40 moves each per day, that would still mean one instance per day. Or take 200 players at a reduced-capacity Bunratty, and you could have an issue every round.

That said, I don't really have a better suggestion.

cdeb wrote: »
    I wonder how time trouble would go?

You should be ok with 30 second increments - though Bunratty/St Andrew's operate 15 seconds - but it'd just take one wrong move called out by mistake (Qd4 instead of Qe4, say) to completely ruin the game; suddenly a rook is hanging on one board and it's not on the other. (I would hope no-one would deliberately call out a wrong move, but you never know...) Or an illegal move is called out and the clock is pressed - and now there's a debate on what the correct move is while the other player's clock is ticking. Not sure what the best way to resolve that issue would be.

I'm sure 99.9% of moves would be transcribed correctly or spotted quickly in the case of an illegal move, but given an Irish Championships of 12 games of 40 moves each per day, that would still mean one instance per day. Or take 200 players at a reduced-capacity Bunratty, and you could have an issue every round.

That said, I don't really have a better suggestion.

Presumably there is no calling out involved unless one of the players is visually impaired.

Hadn't thought of that tbh. But yeah, I suppose you should be able to see the move, even from effectively one board over. It does still leave the potential for mistakes, though at least it's clearer whose mistakes they are (your own colour on your board must be correct). And time trouble will still be more hectic than usual.

Would it be better for the players to sit parallel to each other with the clock in-between them?

That way, the clock would be easily accessible to both players and they would not be breathing at each other.

EnPassant wrote: »
    Would it be better for the players to sit parallel to each other with the clock in-between them?

That way, the clock would be easily accessible to both players and they would not be breathing at each other.
    That's a clever idea!

• Advertisement
Advertisement