Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what races will happen

Options
  • 02-06-2020 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Bertje14

To be honest I don't think any races will happen. Maybe IM Barça might get "lucky" but mass gatherings I can't see it happening.

Anything I signed up for has been cancelled (including DCM) and I won't be rushing out to book anything soon.

I can't see TI allowing any races unless there is a big change in the government guidelines which I can't see happen either.

I read the comments on your previous thread and Hardman might survive. Fingers crossed for them. They are a bigger organization so they might be able to be profitable with smaller numbers.

I see the race in Waterville (25th of July) is still going ahead but Tryone on the 30th if gone. That has everything to do with viability. Tyrone can take 200 people if you have to half that because of social distancing then the race is going to cost the local club. As price for racking etc. will still be the same.

Personally I see it like this. 2020 is a write off. Try to stay fit and hopefully at end of it we can pick up again 2021.

So like you said less try to stay positive but I don't think a lot of races will go ahead. Good to see that there is some races going on in Poland. Light at the end of the tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

ia not sure if that is correct
    hardman is actually a very small company it's just the art of running races simple.
    in germany the federation encouraged races to plan races and not to give up but most clubs just don't want to deal with the uncertainty ( which is of course totally understandable ) from what I understand it's less about profitability than uncertainty . while a company like hardman needs to survive ( and I would personally think what will happen is that he will get more people racing and that will mean races will get bigger and more orofitable. and when you enter races next year you will have more confidence entering a race that tried everything in 2020...

I think it will be the middle big race organicers that employ people and do t get races done that you will likely not see next year.

the reason I do not agree with you assestment is that so far the evidence points to that outdoor the infection risk us 18 to 20 times lower than inside. so the evidence at the moment just points the outside risk is low. I have no idea what the maximum of a group is safe in my mind a big city marathon defo not . a big triathlon with many spectators like Roth not . but races in the countryside of let's say 500 people I think should be relatively save based on the current evidence
    or in other words at this time I would double the 50 euro iwas betting a while ago that races will happen
    it should be way saver then opening indoor restaurants etc etc
    I guess it's a bit more believe of more evidence based decision making. or more what crates more money and not evidence based.

I think you misunderstood when I said Hardman is bigger organisation. They are indeed small compared with IM or Challenge but compared with Triathlon Clubs that do 1 or 2 races a year they are big i.e. they might have more reserves. They are still a business while for a lot of the club the race is part of the funding of the club. Being involved on that level in my own club I have a bit of experience on the matter.

So yes it is to do with uncertainty but Hardman because they are "bigger" can deal with this better then a club. if all the costs are done and the race is cancelled it could mean the end of the club.

Look at what happened to CK. Great race but the year they had to cancel the swim they couldn't afford to repay all the entries. Now the race is gone. Guess they didn't want to take the risk anymore.

On what is safe or isn't I am not going to make any statements. How could I as i know nothing about it. I am not an expert in viruses or no anything about pandemics.

I just honestly can't see it happening but I could be wrong. To be honest I hope that I am wrong.

Bertje14 wrote: »
    I think you misunderstood when I said Hardman is bigger organisation. They are indeed small compared with IM or Challenge but compared with Triathlon Clubs that do 1 or 2 races a year they are big i.e. they might have more reserves. They are still a business while for a lot of the club the race is part of the funding of the club. Being involved on that level in my own club I have a bit of experience on the matter.

So yes it is to do with uncertainty but Hardman because they are "bigger" can deal with this better then a club. if all the costs are done and the race is cancelled it could mean the end of the club.

Look at what happened to CK. Great race but the year they had to cancel the swim they couldn't afford to repay all the entries. Now the race is gone. Guess they didn't want to take the risk anymore.

On what is safe or isn't I am not going to make any statements. How could I as i know nothing about it. I am not an expert in viruses or no anything about pandemics.

I just honestly can't see it happening but I could be wrong. To be honest I hope that I am wrong.

well as for big I would not be entirely suprised if there was 2 clubs that in turnover are quite close.
    I would still disagree that hardman has it easier than a club.
    he just runs races even if there is only 60 people . while most say it's not worth it.
    I do not say what's right or wrong.and that's a decision everybody has to make for themselves.
    I just say it's always easy to say others have it easier.
    usually it's others are more committed.or have a different philosphy.

OK I am getting the feeling you are thinking I am having a pop at Hardman. Couldn't be further from the truth. Some of his events are on my bucket list.

it could be that Hardman is a smaller organization that some clubs but there you are pointing out the essence of what I am saying. Hardman isn't a club. He doesn't have members. He runs races. That is what he does. And does well and hope he can run them for a a very very long time.

If a club make the commitment to run the races and makes the necessary cost and then the plug is pulled on it. It would leave the club with a big financial hole that it might not be able to fill. And then that is the end of the club.

So it isn't about more committed or different philosophy. It isn't about "pointing a finger" and saying well he has it easier. It is about acting with due care. For a club that is the existence of the club and it is members.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Just for the record, the reason CK has not happened since is that the issue with water quality that you refer to has not been fixed by the Council/OPW/Waterways Ireland (or whoever will be ultimately responsible) yet. As soon as it is we will be back!

I would say that in relation to funds, a club is more likely to be able to operate a small race in that a club runs a race to promote the sport and give an outlet for triathlon in the area (and not just to turn a profit, although that is a boost for a club also). A "for profit" organisation is not going to continue organising races just to break even.

Good to know you will be back but I thought someone (I could have been you not sure) said at the time it wasn't really feasible to refund all the entries and therefor you had to run the event as duathlon.

It isn't for profit really it is for the sport and the benefit of the club I suppose. That way the club can run events for it members.

Anyway lets cross our fingers & toes and hope we can get some racing back at some stage. Hopefully still this year if not next year.

OK I am getting the feeling you are thinking I am having a pop at Hardman. Couldn't be further from the truth. Some of his events are on my bucket list.

it could be that Hardman is a smaller organization that some clubs but there you are pointing out the essence of what I am saying. Hardman isn't a club. He doesn't have members. He runs races. That is what he does. And does well and hope he can run them for a a very very long time.

If a club make the commitment to run the races and makes the necessary cost and then the plug is pulled on it. It would leave the club with a big financial hole that it might not be able to fill. And then that is the end of the club.

So it isn't about more committed or different philosophy. It isn't about "pointing a finger" and saying well he has it easier. It is about acting with due care. For a club that is the existence of the club and it is members.
    so basically it's about organicing simple races that if race does not happen not much is lost . no thisrts no medales etc.
    again this is the glass half full thread . as with everything in life there is risks so it's about how too minimize the risks.
    one of my favorite races ever was the Aquaman in Bray when it did not even have a timming chip if a race like this has to be cancelled the loss of the club is "only " volunteer work which is bad enough but nothing that would endanger a club. .

Unfortunately not a lot of them around anymore. Plus I know a lot athletes out there that love a bit of bling and T shirt. Just wouldn't sign up for a races with a T shirt or a medal.

Advertisement