Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

28-12-2018, 11:05   #1
Balmed Out

Dna results

So i was always under the impression my ancestors were unlikely to have travelled far and other than the many to have immigrated from Ireland there wasnt likely to be many exotic influences.
I did the ancestry test anyhow but wondering how unusual it is to have absolutely no foriegn dna.
I seem to be 100% cork and kerry. Is this level normal? Feeling a bit inbred this morning!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
28-12-2018, 11:09   #2
pawrick

I have Italian ancestry in my family but none of it appeared in my dna testing, I'm just too far removed/didn't get the dna from that side. Some of my cousins though could easily pass for being Italian and i always wondered what their dna tests would show.
Thanks from:
28-12-2018, 11:53   #3
hammy007

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawrick View Post
I have Italian ancestry in my family but none of it appeared in my dna testing, I'm just too far removed/didn't get the dna from that side. Some of my cousins though could easily pass for being Italian and i always wondered what their dna tests would show.
I'm a good chunk of Italian, and my daughter is even more as she gets it from her dad's side too, but there is no Italian that shows up in either of our DNA tests, so I'm convinced it shows up as France in the ethnicity results. It shows 7% France for me and 35% for my daughter, and it encompasses parts of Italy according to the DNA map on Ancestry. I have no known French ancestry, so I'm thinking this must be the Italian.
28-12-2018, 11:59   #4
OU812

Have you updated the results?

Updated my dad’s recently which confirmed that his GGG Grandmother came from the US (mid 1800s) and brought with her a minute amount of Native American (although she was Caucasian, we suspect by dilution & era she was approximately ¼ NA).
28-12-2018, 12:26   #5
pawrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammy007 View Post
I'm a good chunk of Italian, and my daughter is even more as she gets it from her dad's side too, but there is no Italian that shows up in either of our DNA tests, so I'm convinced it shows up as France in the ethnicity results. It shows 7% France for me and 35% for my daughter, and it encompasses parts of Italy according to the DNA map on Ancestry. I have no known French ancestry, so I'm thinking this must be the Italian.
I have distant family in Brazil who never knew of their Irish ancestry as they assumed the Italian side went direct from Italy to Brazil, they missed out on the part where the Italian side moved to Ireland during the Napoleonic wars in Italy, intermarried and raised children here before re emigrating to Brazil. Some of the children (all the men as it happens) who moved to Brazil later returned to Ireland to continue our line here while the rest stayed in Brazil, the Brazilian side didn't know the history that far back until they found us on ancestry and we filled in the gaps for them.
Advertisement
28-12-2018, 13:18   #6
pedroeibar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammy007 View Post

About three quarters of the population in the Departement of Alpes-Maritimes (+/- the Cote d'Azur) has some Italian ancestry and about half of that number is almost entirely Italian. If you look at the history of Nice & Savoy you will get the picture.
28-12-2018, 15:19   #7
hammy007

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedroeibar1 View Post
About three quarters of the population in the Departement of Alpes-Maritimes (+/- the Cote d'Azur) has some Italian ancestry and about half of that number is almost entirely Italian. If you look at the history of Nice & Savoy you will get the picture.
Thanks for the info, that probably explains the result.
30-12-2018, 13:17   #8
Balmed Out

Crap so i seem to be alone, i was thinking this was a new update and others were getting very narrow results.
30-12-2018, 19:57   #9
dubhthach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balmed Out View Post
So i was always under the impression my ancestors were unlikely to have travelled far and other than the many to have immigrated from Ireland there wasnt likely to be many exotic influences.
I did the ancestry test anyhow but wondering how unusual it is to have absolutely no foriegn dna.
I seem to be 100% cork and kerry. Is this level normal? Feeling a bit inbred this morning!
I'm 100% Ireland/Scotland, my dad is 100% Ireland/Scotland and my mom is 98% Ireland/Scotland + 2% "England, Wales & NW Europe"

It's really a case that as Ancestry (which is what I'm assuming you did as you mention Genetic Community) has gotten bigger dataset they are better able to draw out what average Irish person looks like (they use to have me as 89% with trace regions, which have now all gone in their calculator)
Thanks from:
Advertisement
30-12-2018, 20:13   #10
dubhthach

The other half got her results there she came back as:
  • 89% Philippines
  • 3% England, Wales, NW Europe
  • 3% France
  • 2% Portugal
  • 2% Korean and Northern China
  • 1% Spain
  • <1% Ivory Coast/Ghana

So in other words:
  • 91% Asian
  • 9% European
  • <1% African

(I know the above adds up to >100% -- but it's what it says)

Obviously there's range in it, in case of the Philippines she's got a range of 84%-93% -- what I should point out is one of her Great-Grandfathers is down as Spanish. It's interesting the difference with her 23andme results which have:
  • 85.3% South-East Asia (Philippines and Guam)
  • 2.4% Chinese
  • 0.4% Native American
  • 0.3% Broadly East Asian & Native American
  • 3.4% Iberian
  • 3.5% Broadly Southern European
  • 0.8% Broadly Northwestern European
  • 1.8% Broadly European
  • 0.3% West African
  • 0.4% Unassigned!!!

That results in 23andme region breakdown of:
  • 89.8% East Asian & Native American
  • 9.5% European
  • 0.3% Sub-Saharan African
  • 0.4% Unassigned

My feeling is the AncestryDNA result regions (particulary the 'England, Wales & NW European') have changed the French region to grab areas on the periphery particulary in Northern Iberia. The fact that their 'Portugal' region covers half of Spain (in map view) and 'Spain' also covers most of Portugal, makes me thinks they probably should have relabled these regions as 'West Iberian' and 'East Iberian' -- of course what they need is considerably higher sampleset from Southern Europe to perhaps spilt out other clusters or to make their clusters more appropriate.
Thanks from:
31-12-2018, 10:57   #11
srmf5

I'm 98% Ireland and Scotland while my mum and paternal aunt are 100% so you're not alone. A lot of Irish people (unless they know of ancestry from other countries) get very high Ireland and Scotland in the 90s.
Thanks from:
31-12-2018, 20:08   #12
Tombom1

We done my grandfathers DNA and we got 100% Ireland with north and south Galway and Galway as genetic communities. More purebred than a pedigree limousine!
Thanks from:
31-12-2018, 20:28   #13
srmf5

Not just the autosomal but the Y-DNA with FTDNA also shows that my paternal line has been in the one area since about 1000 AD when the surname first arose. The ancestor lived somewhere around Roscommon and Galway while my family are still living in Roscommon so that line didn't move too far anyway.
Thanks from:
31-12-2018, 20:34   #14
Ipso

Out of interest what haplogroup is it (probably R1b, but did you get a subgroup)?
31-12-2018, 20:46   #15
Corkgirl18

You're not alone!

100% Munster here - Cork specifically.
Was hoping I'd be a bit more exotic!
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text