Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting back into chess...openings choices

• 12-09-2017 12:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I think this is my first post in here. I'm just getting back into chess after years away from the game and am considering different options for an opening repertoire.

I like to play a variety of openings, probably too many, but since most of my games will be online correspondence, and casual games at the local club, that might not matter all that much, I think. Anyway, I think the game should be fun above all else. I like playing gambits too. I don't see myself playing in any league games, and I don't intend to be taking part in tournaments.

My preference is usually for open attacking games with piece play, but sometimes I'm in the mood for something quieter. Ideally I'd like a sharp option and a more positional option for each opening.

The openings I like are, as White...
    King's Gambit
    Blackmar-Diemer Gambit
    Giuoco Piano with early d4/Evans Gambit
    Smith-Morra Gambit against the Sicilian (alternative: Alapin)
    French Monte Carlo (Alternative: Tarrasch variation)
    Caro-Kann Panov-Botvinnik Attack
    Scandinavian mainline or transpose to Blackmar-Diemer with 2. d4
    vs Pirc/Modern/Alekhine, not sure yet
    Colle System

As Black, I like...
    King's pawn game with Jaenisch Gambit vs Ruy Lopez
    Scandinavian with Icelandic Gambit
    Tarrasch Defence vs Queen's Gambit/English/Reti
    Benko Gambit
    Sicilian Dragon

I only study openings to the extent of deciding what lines I'm going to play then I go over annotated games where a line is used in order to get a feel for it, and the other stages of the game at the same time. I have about 3500 annotated games in various books and databases, listed in Fritz so I can find what I need quickly. My plan is to see what I end up playing in (slow) online games, and then study it as I go along.

I'd like to get people's thoughts on my list, particularly about what would be particularly good to include, or particularly important to leave out. I've also heard arguments both for and against junior players using more off-beat lines vs main lines. Although by no means junior in years, my last rating was about 1350, so I'd be junior enough in that sense.

P.S. I do understand that at this level, just about any opening is playable. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭sodacat11

Unless you plan on becoming a GM I would say to just play anything and everything and to enjoy all the different types of games that you will get. I will never understand how people who play the same systems over and over again can get any enjoyment out of it especially if they play dry insipid lines. Variety is the spice of life, just go for it!!
    You should try a tournament, you might enjoy it!!

Advertisement