Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letting a stranger borrow your phone...

Options
  • 08-07-2017 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭

Even if they only want to log into their facebook account to message someone to pick them up from the train station. Obviously a stupid thing to do. Especially when they're a member of a certain much maligned community, and you have heard them discussing how to avoid paying train fares moments previously.

But, supposing you're kind-hearted and thick, and wary of the good folk of AH branding you a racist otherwise for being paranoid, and are just not quick enough to come up with a good excuse to say no - is it possible to then check whether any harm has been done after the event? What would be the obvious things to watch out for? Silly Ficheall..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

This thread is going to go places!

No, I wouldn't give anyone my phone, for very obvious reasons, whether they be white/black/brown/purple/whatever.

Also, isn't it a sorry fcuking indictment on society that we need to offer a disclaimer like the above lest we be firebombed as racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Gave an itinerant boy a loan of my phone to make a call before. He must have rang 20 people. I lost patience eventually and put him to sleep, so No, I wouldn't make that mistake again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Ive no problem giving someone my phone to use I'll have a look at them first and judge.

Obviously if they are strung out on heroine they can forget it but if its an ordinary joe soap be no problem.

Mostly because I am a fast runner so they wouldnt get very far -.- chancers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

A guy asked me for my phone to make a call last Sunday morning when I was walking to work, about 8am on camden street. I think in Dublin I've become numbed to the fact that If anyone on the street speaks to me I ignore them.

He looked like he was out all night, an extra extra large Starbucks in hand.

I declined, felt slightly bad afterwards as he was clearly from the country and needed to contact someone. My guilt lasted all of five minutes.

Meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Give them €1 for a phone box

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

No....because it would get robbed

Same reason as to why id wear a watch walking certain places about town....so if someone asks you time you dont pull out your phone to check and have it swiped

• Registered Users Posts: 28,886 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

sorry, ive no credit!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Ficheall wrote: »
    and are just not quick enough to come up with a good excuse to say no.

You don't need an excuse. 'No' will suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

snowflaker wrote: »
    Give them €1 for a phone box

Wow vintage.

Haven't heard or read that term in at least 5 years.

Friends daughter (15) overheard us talking about college. Floppy disks as backups came up. She hadn't a clue what we were talking about.
    Funny how **** moves on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Wow vintage.

Friends daughter (15) overheard us talking about college. Floppy disks as backups came up. She hadn't a clue what we were talking about.
    Funny how **** moves on.

happens all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

happened to my brother about 15 years ago in waterford.
    Girl asks to borrow his phone and the poor idiot handed to her (lived at home his whole life so was a bit naive ) and she asked him "bill or ready to go"..'ready to go' he replies and she says thanks and legs it. Runs after her but her accomplice sticks his leg out and trips the brother..she gets away thank god but he beat the crap out of the accomplice, then proceeded to go to a phonebooth to ring the cops who were only laughing at him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,297 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It would depend where I was and what the person looked like!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Not a chance! Like the only exception I can even think of is something like if I've just seen an elderly person getting mugged or something like that, but even then I'd be more inclined to help them and call the police myself.

Learning to say no is one of the most helpful traits you can get in life. Eventually people just get a vibe off you and don't even ask anymore, though maybe that's just from living and working in Dublin City and learning that it's best to always have a "**** off" vibe (even if you're in great form) to get left alone. The leeches and scummers can spot who they can get stuff off and who they can't and don't even look at the people they can't.

Same reason as to why id wear a watch walking certain places about town....so if someone asks you time you dont pull out your phone to check and have it swiped

Was the OP referring to someone on a train? They'd hardly get far...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

No chance would I give it to a stranger on the street. If it was in some other setting then maybe.
    eg, once in a restaurant on the way to the toilet someone asked me. They looked respectable and genuine. I felt no threat...so yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Wow vintage.

Funny how **** moves on.

Here still have a phonebox from telecom eirrann in our street but no phone in it
    forgotten furniture

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Vitaly made a couple of prank vids based on asking strangers can he use their phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

How many people would actually know a number to call off by heart? Don't think I'd hand mine over unless they looked particularly slow runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Just look up at the sun and say it's 10 to 2 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Will they rob it? Who knows, that's the fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

What If they see your nudey pics and send them to their number

Advertisement