Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Purchases You Regret

• 06-07-2017 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭

What purchases have you made over the years that you now regret or maybe you regretted as soon as you took it home and saw it/tried it on.

Mine would be a PS4 more due to the manner of timing which I bought it as I bought it within the first few weeks of it coming out I went halves as a christmas present. When I got it had an issue meaning that disc would eject during a game with me touching anything. I had to wait a year before GTA came out and the price of the console came down anyway. The other would be a PSVita which was an all out crap handheld console costing €250 which I sold to CEX two years latter for €50.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Stephen15 wrote: »
    What purchases have you made over the years that you now regret or maybe you regretted as soon as you took it home and saw it/tried it on.

Mine would be a PS4 more due to the manner of timing which I bought it as I bought it within the first few weeks of it coming out I went halves as a christmas present. When I got it had an issue meaning that disc would eject during a game with me touching anything. I had to wait a year before GTA came out and the price of the console came down anyway. The other would be a PSVita which was an all out crap handheld console costing €250 which I sold to CEX two years latter for €50.

Mine has to be invisible ink, I just don't know what I do be writing anymore :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Eircom shares. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

An expensive prostate massager. Completely let down.. 😂

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Marriage license.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Used car. Discovered problems later. Sold it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Skinny Jeans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

One of those shower shelves with the suction cups to hold it to the tiled wall. Put anything in it and boom, falls down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

An apartment, a house, I always had great intentions when I ever bought a games console, after a week, it went in a drawer, a few cars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

My mail order bride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Atari Jaguar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

IPOD 4 @ €250. NOT a massive purchase but such a useless device, considering I had just bought my first smart phone.

Google play is so much better that ITunes imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Bought a few motorbikes over the years. Didnt really regret buying them at the time but now thinking back i should have bought cheaper bikes and used the cash to get a mortgage.

Id be loaded now if i saved properly and bought a house 5 years ago instead of just buying recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

I spent a fair whack of money on a dress recently. A very very beautiful dress, but a dress nonetheless. It's for a wedding in a few weeks (not my wedding, then it would be acceptable!). I don't regret it as such, just still can't believe I justified spending that much on a dress that I can't even wear that often.

It is pretty though....

Also a bit raging I bought the S7edge when the S8 is much nicer but I'm not due an upgrade for another year, but I didn't actually pay for that so I suppose that probably doesn't count!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

A "smart" tv that can only get netflix, youtube and a ton of indian apps only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

My mail order bride.

I feel your pain. The return postage through An Post is horrendous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

I feel your pain. The return postage through An Post is horrendous.

You should have starved her for a few weeks. Cheaper if it fits through the letterbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

Apparently I was supposed to leave air holes in the packaging, how was I supposed to know? Sheesh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,644 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I bought a dash cam after the Chelyabinsk meteorite videos emerged so I could capture a meteorite falling myself. What was I thinking.

Also: Goat Simulator

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I always buy guitars and sell then. Moderately priced ones. Whereas if I bought a really good one to start with....
    The money I spent on my first good electric guitar, £500 in 1991. When I think of the guitars I ignored that I could have bought......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Also: Goat Simulator

That game is hilarious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

An expensive coffee machine we've used a handful of times. I still prefer the taste and ease of instant.

And every gym membership I've ever bought.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

My house...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

electric guitar and amp I barely ever used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Beoir membership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Engagement ring, bought with the best of intentions at the time but she's gone and now all I have is a stupid fucking ring that I could sell for half the price I paid for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Sliding sash windows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Another I have was an expensive leather sofa. It looks stylish but it scrathes the wooden floor and isin't very comfortable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Engagement ring, bought with the best of intentions at the time but she's gone and now all I have is a stupid ****ing ring that I could sell for half the price I paid for it

Give it to the next one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,819 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Another I have was an expensive leather sofa. It looks stylish but it scrathes the wooden floor and isin't very comfortable

It's one thing I'd always be very careful of if buying furniture. Comfort is really important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Also a bit raging I bought the S7edge when the S8 is much nicer but I'm not due an upgrade for another year, but I didn't actually pay for that so I suppose that probably doesn't count!

You didn't pay for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Pac1Man wrote: »
    You didn't pay for it?

Work phone I would presume

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,270 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

A 3 year old Suzuki Swift that i got for €25......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,191 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

10,000 Angel ashtrays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

10,000 Angel ashtrays

Any reason for the purchase

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

A moped. Had it about 2 weeks and realised I was ready for a proper big boys motorbike. Lost a fortune on the trade in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

A pair of Adidas A3 back in 2002. They were supposed to be the rival to Nike Shox. They had an awful fit, felt like walking on lego and there was something in the material that caused them to stink after a few weeks of wear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Engagement ring, bought with the best of intentions at the time but she's gone and now all I have is a stupid fucking ring that I could sell for half the price I paid for it
    How much did you splash out on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Give it to the next one.

When she hears it's another womans cast off she''ll be gone too ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Spent a lot of money on a Camera once, never used it much, stoo-pid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Sam Kade wrote: »
    How much did you splash out on it?

I could afford it let's leave it at that, small mercies but thank Christ we didn't spend anything on the wedding. We'd it mapped out and feic no single day's worth that amount of money! All in the past now anyway

• Advertisement

When I was younger, I spent €20 on a box that made noise. It broke as soon as I got it home.

I miss my box :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Bought a 4k Tv and built a powerful gaming pc for my "man cave" in the converted attic.

Think they have been turned on twice in the two years I've had them.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

AA membership.

Very expensive.

I had to crash the car just to get my money back.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Bought a 4k Tv and built a powerful gaming pc for my "man cave" in the converted attic.

Think they have been turned on twice in the two years I've had them.:(

Can I have them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Can I have them?

No because their might be the very unlikely event that some visitor is in the house and I will be able to go, "See that, that's 4k there" and then switch it straight off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭GBX

My last 2 wives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 784 ✭✭✭thecornflake

When I was younger, I spent €20 on a box that made noise. It broke as soon as I got it home.

I miss my box :(

Me too, looking back on it she was a bit of a bitch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Every packet of cigarettes I ever bought.

Ush1 wrote: »
    No because their might be the very unlikely event that some visitor is in the house and I will be able to go, "See that, that's 4k there" and then switch it straight off.

I'll give you a fiver and a cup of tea. I've no milk or sugar though. That OK?

And, as it turns out, no tea. So. A fiver?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

My pet pigeon, I've had to go back and retrieve it from its previous owner 8 times so far . :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement