Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CNN tracks down random reddit meme poster and threatens to release his information

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Where exactly did they threaten to release his info?

It states they aren't doing it specifically because hes a private citizen.

Also a bit rich when the alt-right start complaining about doxxing......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

VinLieger wrote: »
    Where exactly did they threaten to release his info?

It states they aren't doing it specifically because hes a private citizen.

You should read the article...they clearly stated that if the person does. anything else they will release his information

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Erik Shin wrote: »
    You should read the article...they clearly stated that if the person does. anything else they will release his information

Agree! It's also clearly a message to others. That Trump tweet had 600k likes, prob not good for their bottom line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Erik Shin wrote: »

Fair enough, but it sounds like he didn't make it too hard to be found so good luck with that.

Again its funny that the alt-right are suddenly so concerned about doxxing.

Breitbart have doxxed quite a number of people in their time but there's been no issues with it.

Fair enough, but it sounds like he didn't make it too hard to be found so good luck with that.

Breitbart have doxxed quite a number of people in their time but there's been no issues with it.

Out of interest, what private Citizens have Breitbart doxxed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Funny how racists always start crying when people might find out they're racists. It's almost like it's not OK.

Anyway, this is very far from doxxing. He's not being extorted or blackmailed or threatened. If anything they're protecting him by giving him the opportunity to go quietly into the night. Breitbart or the Daily Mail would just publish.

They also didn't say that they would release his information if he did anything else. The provided a rider for legal purposes which maintains their right to publish this information in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

Yeah they said if acts the bollox again:

"CNN reserves the right to publish his identity should any of that change."

Personally i didn't think trumps tweet was too bad i took for what it was a joke but maybe, this will stop other trolls from going over the top once they realise they may not be protected by online anonymity anymore.

seamus wrote: »

They also didn't say that they would release his information if he did anything else. The provided a rider for legal purposes which maintains their right to publish this information in the future.

They clearly hinted at it.

I'll have to side with Assange's interpretation.

https://twitter.com/JulianAssange/status/882440859370868737

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

So the Clinton News Network are into doxing now, well I suppose it makes a change from the fake news they concoct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

CNN. Fake news network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Nermal

This comes over as bullying behaviour really, especially in the almost sneering tone of their article. Amazing that CNN can't see that, it's quite a mis-step for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Funny how racists always start crying when people might find out they're racists. It's almost like it's not OK.

What in the tweet was racist?

Nermal wrote: »
    This comes over as bullying behaviour really, especially in the almost sneering tone of their article. Amazing that CNN can't see that, it's quite a mis-step for them.

"Exclusive"

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/882410884445999105

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Yeah they said if acts the bollox again:

"CNN reserves the right to publish his identity should any of that change."

Personally i didn't think trumps tweet was too bad i took for what it was a joke but maybe, this will stop other trolls from going over the top once they realise they may not be protected by online anonymity anymore.

Only reason they know who he is is that he contacted them to apologise.

So it's a great lesson to never apologise and carry on ****ing with the retards on CNN.

EDIT:

Just looked over some of the CNN tweets reporting on this and a lot of the reply are more CNN memes

We got spartens kicking CNN into holes and wonder woman kicking CNN through a wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭Christy42

Well this went down the garden path. I don't think they should have printed that line but it may be required from a legal perspective.

They have quite clearly not doxed this person and I don't know if any bullying took place. If it did they were obviously not going to print it.

Weird one alright. I can see why they identified him. If anything does happen to a cnn journalist he would be a suspect. While it is just a joke it is the sort of thing people point to in hindsight after an incident occurs as why didn't they cop this might happen.

It does not seem to need an article either. I guess they wanted to make a point of the apology but not really news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,676 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

The internet will nuke CNN
    Here's how @CNN #CNNBlackmail went down, from insider at @CNN that spiilled the beans on 4Chan.

DD8xbPiUAAAsXHd.jpg

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I thoughtvthe CNN meme was funny.

This is a stupid move by CNN.

Every web meme maker, on hacktivist, etc is going to spend their time attacking CNN.

Way to really screw yourselves over lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I know the weather is crazy nowadays but I've never seem so many snowflakes in July. :P

Yer man is a bit of an arsehole lads, he got called up on it, he pissed himself and apologized. So what?

I know the weather is crazy nowadays but I've never seem so many snowflakes in July. :P

Yer man is a bit of an arsehole lads, he got called up on it, he pissed himself and apologized. So what?

"he got pulled up on it"? so you wouldn't have a problem with a global media outfit targeting you for you something you posted because it happened to go viral?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Pro-tip:

If you're afraid that what you say or do online might affect your life, your relationships, your job, then perhaps you shouldn't say or do those things.

You're likely not as anonymous as you think you are. If you don't have the balls to do it with your identity known, don't do it behind your keyboard.

• Advertisement

silverharp wrote: »
    "he got pulled up on it"? so you wouldn't have a problem with a global media outfit targeting you for you something you posted because it happened to go viral?

I wouldn't have a problem with a global media outfit trying to find who was targeting them, no.

And for the record, Rupert Murdoch is a bloodsucking wanker, and I'm here seven days a week S*n scum! :)

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Read the article in the OP.

They clearly hinted at it.

I'll have to side with Assange's interpretation.
    Unfortunately Assange doesn't have much credibility when it comes to the definition of "journalism" considering the mountain of information he claims to be sitting on for the purposes of influencing governments.

Pot, meet kettle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Read the article in the OP.

Again what in that tweet that made then target him was racist?

Posts etc, I can see.

I actually think more people should be called out fir posting racist inciteful hateful stuff on the Internet but are CNN now the Internet police?

I hope they are powering up the troll trace

Pro-tip:

If you're afraid that what you say or do online might affect your life, your relationships, your job, then perhaps you shouldn't say or do those things.

You're likely not as anonymous as you think you are. If you don't have the balls to do it with your identity known, don't do it behind your keyboard.

Do we need an independent organisation to decide which memes are acceptable?

CNN broadcast their own crap without repercussion. Special homage to the Trump puppet at the 1 min mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Because only Reddit members are supposed to do such things. It's simply not cricket when someone finds out their real identity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭circadian

naughtb4 wrote: »

The tweet wasn't but his posting record is full if racist, anti semitic drivel.

I'm not sure how I feel about this one and I wonder about the methods which CNN used to get this persons information. I'd certainly be concerned about their threats of demanding a stop to their posting otherwise they'll out them.

I suspect the likes of Breitbart or Alex Jones or whoever would immediately out a person if the shoe was on the other foot but this is still unacceptable from a journalistic view.

They would have been better off to leave it as it is and let Trump and his memesters be their own downfall.

I wouldn't have a problem with a global media outfit trying to find who was targeting them, no.

And for the record, Rupert Murdoch is a bloodsucking wanker, and I'm here seven days a week S*n scum! :)

He wasn't targeting CNN as such, it was political satire based on current events, pretty much the same as when there used to be newspapers, they used to have satirical cartoons in em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,235 ✭✭✭✭Penn

They're not threatening him or blackmailing him. He apologised himself, and promised he would stop. So CNN decided to give him the benefit of the doubt based on his apology and not release his info. They're simply just saying that if he turns back on his promise to stop and his apology, the benefit of the doubt is gone and they will release his info.

If a garda lets you off with a warning for something and a month later catches you doing the same thing again and charges you, he hadn't threatened or blackmailed you by giving you the warning the previous time.

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Because only Reddit members are supposed to do such things. It's simply not cricket when someone finds out their real identity.

Aye, you can't keep sticking a wavin pipe up a cow's hole and not be expecting a kick.

Penn wrote: »
    They're not threatening him or blackmailing him. He apologised himself, and promised he would stop. So CNN decided to give him the benefit of the doubt based on his apology and not release his info. They're simply just saying that if he turns back on his promise to stop and his apology, the benefit of the doubt is gone and they will release his info.

If a garda lets you off with a warning for something and a month later catches you doing the same thing again and charges you, he hadn't threatened or blackmailed you by giving you the warning the previous time.

Cnn are not the police. This individual is a horrific person imo. I still don't think CNN should release his info unless he commits a crime. They have not so far at least.

your analogy fails with gardai, if the gardai collar you its because you have broken the law.

He wasn't targeting CNN as such, it was political satire based on current events, pretty much the same as when there used to be newspapers, they used to have satirical cartoons in em.

There were newspapers in the olden times that didn't have editors and owners that were accountable for what was printed? When were these halcyon days?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

What's brilliant about this is those that throw that ****ty phrase 'snowflake' around at anyone who doesn't agree with them have become the epitome of their phrase.

It's like a blizzard in here.

• Advertisement

There were newspapers in the olden times that didn't have editors and owners that were accountable for what was printed? When were these halcyon days?

A cartoon version of that meme would not be offensive, companies would not have embarrassed themselves by drawing attention to it.

Its just another example of legacy media not getting social media. Its also hilarious that a 71 year old President knows the Art of the Sh1tposting :pac:

So your logic is, the people posting Trump memes in the funny pics forum on boards are accountable for their actions and Trump should be able to publicly call them out and threaten to release their info?

If Fox news did this to an Obama supporter the reactions on this thread by certain individuals would be flipped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,235 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Christy42 wrote: »
    Cnn are not the police. This individual is a horrific person imo. I still don't think CNN should release his info unless he commits a crime. They have not so far at least.
    your analogy fails with gardai, if the gardai collar you its because you have broken the law.

Same principle applies though. The guy apologised on Reddit so CNN, who could have released his info, decided not to, based on his apology. If he then starts doing the same thing again, CNN are saying they then will release his info.

It's not a threat. It's a gesture of goodwill that they're not releasing his info because he apologised. They're simply saying if he rescinds his apology, the goodwill is gone. They're essentially letting him off with a warning.

It's not a threat. It's a gesture of goodwill that they're not releasing his info because he apologised.

Lmao. It's clearly a threat and a threat to all those creating anti CNN material.

He is a private citizen who photo-shopped a CNN logo on Vince McMahon and because of that his life could be ruined, and seemingly you have no problem with that.

So your logic is, the people posting Trump memes in the funny pics forum on boards are accountable for their actions and Trump should be able to publicly call them out and threaten to release their info?

If Fox news did this to an Obama supporter the reactions on this thread by certain individuals would be flipped.

You think people shouldn't be accountable for their actions?

• Advertisement

You should always be accountable for your actions, regardless of the perceived severity. Again, if you can't stand by what you do online with people knowing who you are, don't do it. This dude couldn't and he's reaping the consequences of that. It's all about accountability, regardless of anonymity.

Too many people believe a username gives them a pass to be assh*les and say what they would never in real life.

You think people shouldn't be accountable for their actions?

Nice dodge.

A cartoon version of that meme would not be offensive, companies would not have embarrassed themselves by drawing attention to it.

Its just another example of legacy media not getting social media. Its also hilarious that a 71 year old President knows the Art of the Sh1tposting :pac:

The president should not be flaming a war between himself and the media. He is an idiot and should not have tweeted that.

@Penn Why should they release his info? Is it morally wrong as it could lead to reprisals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Tabnabs wrote: »

Begun it has, the meme wars

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Given the harmless nature of the meme and being articulated under the protected speech laws that apply (which include anonymous ) then this overreaction by the major media company is over the top and makes strange bedfellows for the left who usually decry the power that big business has over individuals.

Too many people believe a username gives them a pass to be assh*les and say what they would never in real life.

It's an internet meme, not a plot to blow up CNN hq. By your logic Trump has a right to go after millions of people who made anti Trump memes and get their identities. Would you be ok with that?

How do you feel about CNN airing puppets impersonating Trump, or Comedians making fun of him, can he go after them to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Same principle applies though. The guy apologised on Reddit so CNN, who could have released his info, decided not to, based on his apology. If he then starts doing the same thing again, CNN are saying they then will release his info.

It's not a threat. It's a gesture of goodwill that they're not releasing his info because he apologised. They're simply saying if he rescinds his apology, the goodwill is gone. They're essentially letting him off with a warning.

Letting him off with a warning for something which isn't a crime...

ThisRegard wrote: »
    What's brilliant about this is those that throw that ****ty phrase 'snowflake' around at anyone who doesn't agree with them have become the epitome of their phrase.

It's like a blizzard in here.

that doesn't fit, being snowflakey means throwing a wobbly because someone expresses an opinion you don't agree with. How is that relevant here?

It's an internet meme, not a plot to blow up CNN hq. By your logic Trump has a right to go after millions of people who made anti Trump memes. Would you be ok with that?

And yet you're OK with a world leader posting internet memes? Targeting major news publications? You can honestly say if our Taoiseach did the same to... RTÉ news you wouldn't cry foul?

What you perceive as acceptable and not seems very skewed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Out of interest, what private Citizens have Breitbart doxxed?

Aghhhh Dox overload!!

What does doxxing mean???

• Advertisement
Advertisement