Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What products prey on stupid people?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

I personally think scratch cards are mainly bought by people with an IQ of below 0.

If it were possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

I personally think scratch cards are mainly bought by people with an IQ of below 0.

If it were possible.
    This I agree with, back in the bad times of 2010 when I didn't have a cent I would be stuck behind some older person or some welfare nut getting 20euros worth of scratchies, arrghhh, still happens but it annoys me less now.

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Tesco "half price" wine offers.

Always "own label" or specially created labels. Never found anywhere else. ALWAYS on sale except for a couple of weeks before their "half price" offer.

Examples "domaine arnaud" (utter muck) ogio, winemakers reserve and others.

Only suckers get suckered by this ridiculous crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

CeilingFly wrote: »

Always "own label" or specially created labels. Never found anywhere else. ALWAYS on sale except for a couple of weeks before their "half price" offer.

do tesco have any quality food / drink that doesnt taste of watery cardboard or piss , how do people shop there?, and they're staff look miserable as well ,says a lot for a company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

It's like when Homebase and the rest sell their "half price" BBQs and garden furniture.

Rest assured it was once at full price. In December, when the stock was in the warehouse and not on the shop floor.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Healing magnets.
    I don't mind people using stuff thats not medically proven (as long as they do the conventional route too) as the placebo effect is pretty strong but the fact they charge so much for a simple magnetic bracelet is definitely preying on people.

You do know how much a course of acupuncture costs? Magnets are cheaper quakology than needles .

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kurtainsider

everlast75 wrote: »
    J

M

L

Have to agree. Minding my own business in Supervalu one day and got too close to the JML telly. TCALSS (to cut a long story short) I bought the Non-Stick Copper Stone Frying Pan. After 3 uses it bellied up in the middle so the oil just ran around the edge. That weekend, after scraping an egg off the "non-stick" surface I took it back for a refund. I'll never look at the JML telly in a shop the same again.:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭mick.oleary

Have to agree. Minding my own business in Supervalu one day and got too close to the JML telly. TCALSS (to cut a long story short) I bought the Non-Stick Copper Stone Frying Pan. After 3 uses it bellied up in the middle so the oil just ran around the edge. That weekend, after scraping an egg off the "non-stick" surface I took it back for a refund. I'll never look at the JML telly in a shop the same again.:mad:

Did you pour cold water on it after using it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭CPTM

Credit cards - people who don't pay it back straight away.

Did you pour cold water on it after using it?

No. Just allowed it to cool down and washed it with warm water in the normal way.

Look at the JML telly next time you're near one. They fry up a pan full of nuts and bolts, scrape it vigorously with a screwdriver, drive a Sherman tank over it (I made that last one up) and then fry an egg in it and the egg is fit to jump out of the pan by itself it's so non-stick.................get the f***ing thing home and the egg sticks to it like s**t to a blanket after 3 uses.

BTW - I hadn't even treated my family to a feed of fried nuts and bolts as the ad had suggested I should.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

New cars - probably one of the worst financial mistakes people repeat, and thank goodness they do or there'd be no peaches of second hand cars that are at the bottom of the depreciation curve.

car-depreciation-ownership-graph-uk.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭mick.oleary

No. Just allowed it to cool down and washed it with warm water in the normal way.

Look at the JML telly next time you're near one. They fry up a pan full of nuts and bolts, scrape it vigorously with a screwdriver, drive a Sherman tank over it (I made that last one up) and then fry an egg in it and the egg is fit to jump out of the pan by itself it's so non-stick.................get the f***ing thing home and the egg sticks to it like s**t to a blanket after 3 uses.

BTW - I hadn't even treated my family to a feed of fried nuts and bolts as the ad had suggested I should.

Similar experience with one of their ceramic ones but I did warp it with cold water. The non stick coating though did not last...I assumed it was because I warped it...

New cars - probably one of the worst financial mistakes people repeat, and thank goodness they do or there'd be no peaches of second hand cars that are at the bottom of the depreciation curve.

Can't believe how people are happy their car can lose >5k in a single year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

4000 euro for a marble stand for iMac (or whatever those apple laptops are called).

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/hypebeast.com/2017/6/block-marble-laptop-stand-macbook-accessory%3Famp%3D1

Similar experience with one of their ceramic ones but I did warp it with cold water. The non stick coating though did not last...I assumed it was because I warped it...

No Mick. It was because, in my view, JML bigs up garbage. This gives me no pleasure to say because I always thought that JML could be trusted before the whole Copper Stone Pan affair.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

eeguy wrote: »
    Can't believe how people are happy their car can lose >5k in a single year.

Buying a new car to 'save' money on the motor tax!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Many vineyards sell exclusively to certain distributors or shops, therefore not being available elsewhere. In blind taste tests wine from vineyards exclusive to them or their own branded do quite well, most noticeably their champagne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Buying a new car to 'save' money on the motor tax!

It's always interesting to hear the excuses when you mention the cost savings of keeping the car they have for another year, buying one thats a few years old or converting the car they have to LPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭spoonerhead

One plant for €4:50

Can get 100 seeds for €2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

RedTie wrote: »
    Ok. This one needs further explaining.

Even with your own CCTV wired to your phone, nothing scares off a burglar faster than a really load alarm. Or a really big dog but I digress.

If I was a burglar I'd break into a house where the alarm was already going off. It's not like the police generally turn up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,434 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Regrow your hair products, a trillion dollar industry that's booming

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Many vineyards sell exclusively to certain distributors or shops, therefore not being available elsewhere. In blind taste tests wine from vineyards exclusive to them or their own branded do quite well, most noticeably their champagne.

I know that, but the Tesco sh1te is mass produced muck bottled in huge bottling warehouses and no decent winery would put their name to it.

Not in a million years is "domaine arnaud" or "ogio" worth €17.99, but some suckers believe that and think they are getting a bargain at "half price" when in reality they are probably over paying.

Another trick is to have a known brand create a special exclusive label, mark it up at 17.99 and then magically its half price.

Don't be fooled.

I know that, but the Tesco sh1te is mass produced muck bottled in huge bottling warehouses and no decent winery would put their name to it.

Not in a million years is "domaine arnaud" or "ogio" worth €17.99, but some suckers believe that and think they are getting a bargain at "half price" when in reality they are probably over paying.

Another trick is to have a known brand create a special exclusive label, mark it up at 17.99 and then magically its half price.

Don't be fooled.

Legally they have to sell it at full price for some time.

It might be officially sold at full price for a month but you won't find it on a shelf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Not sure if mentioned but the handwash where you dont have to touch it to dispense soap....at the point in time where your hands are dirty, just before you are about to clean them... thats when u worry what bacteria might be on your hands?! Really?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Not gonna have a go specifically at IPhone buyers but I have to call out other expensive phone buyers.

Most people generally use their phones for (apart from the obvious) are browsing, social media and listening to music or the odd video. You are pretty much going to get the exact same performance out of a phone that costs €150.

They are paying 3-4 times the price and are getting the exact same Facebook app, YouTube videos and Whatsapp service.

Even the operating system features are pretty much the same. A few years ago Apple were jizzing themselves over swipe texting on their keyboards. I was using an €80 phone that was doing that 2-3 years before that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

I think there's a lot of pseudo-intellectual sneering at people who do the lotto. I'm sure that most people know the odds of winning are incredibly slim but while they have that ticket they can fantasise about having no money worries, taking exotic holidays, buying a beautiful home, driving an amazing car, looking after their kids' futures and so on.

I agree. I don't play, because I can't be bothered, but here's my logic:

The odds of winning the jackpot are 11 million to 1.
    If I invest €1 and win the jackpot, the return will be far less than €11 million.
    Therefore the odds don't justify it. It's a losing proposition.

*HOWEVER* winning even €1 million would be such a change of lifestyle from where I am now, that for me it might as well be €11 million. Therefore the odds don't really matter and I should but a ticket.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭RedTie

4000 euro for a marble stand for iMac (or whatever those apple laptops are called).

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/hypebeast.com/2017/6/block-marble-laptop-stand-macbook-accessory%3Famp%3D1

This reads like a product parody
    German company de Dolomieu has released BLOCK, a marble laptop stand specifically designed for Apple MacBooks.

The stand acts as an elegant centerpiece for your workspace, milled from a 14-kilogram, 6-centimeter-thick slab of white marble. Each slab is unique, hand-selected for its characteristic beauty of bold veining and intricate patterns.

Custom designed, BLOCK is a near-seamless extension of an Apple MacBook computer, raising an object of daily use onto a pedestal, marrying metal and stone into aesthetic harmony while matching the design quality and elegance of the computer it holds.

BLOCK’s curves hug the computer’s edges with a smooth surface cool to the touch, warming only slightly from body heat. It is available in three different models for Apple’s range of notebook computers: BLOCK 12” for MacBook (mid-2015 and newer), BLOCK 13” and BLOCK 15” for MacBook Pro (late 2016 and newer).

Each ranges from €3,800-€4,400 EUR (approximately $3,500-$3,700 USD.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

New jeans that look like they've been dragged along the ground and go for a thee figure sum of money.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dolce-Gabbana-Distressed-Straight-Jeans/dp/B01D57I01A/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

RedTie wrote:
    What other products prey on stupid people?

Effectively all, all marketing is a form of manipulation, and all humans can be manipulated, some more so than others. In the words of Chomsky, 'uninformed, irrational decisions'!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

tastyt wrote: »
    SKY tv.

Two hundred channels and nothing on

And 190 of them available free to air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Phonicks

Low fat milk

and

actimel and other "healthy" yogarts with low fat milk and 3 teapsoonfuls of sugar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

RedTie wrote: »
    This reads like a product parody

"Each ranges from €3,800-€4,400 EUR (approximately $3,500-$3,700 USD.)"

When was that the exchange rates??

• Registered Users Posts: 5 hepurilivehear

endacl wrote: »
    Homeopathy.
    'Psychic' mediums.
    Homeopathy.

I included homeopathy twice, because everybody with a health insurance policy pays for it, as all providers cover it, and some idiots claim for it.

sorry bud but pharma extracts drugs from plants homeos use.

mcdonalds food, didnt see it in the medeea , jamie oliver successfully sued them cos 20% of their meat is real, the rest probly kills ya

well not kill but clog up ur gut, leaving u lazy, moody, poor memory, probly disrupts serotonin product in the gut aswell

No, not in Ireland. Here you just have to show it was on sale at some stage. The 30 day law is a UK law. In Ireland there is no such legal requirement. Its why Currys also fool people into thinking they are getting a genuine reduction. (check their small print "on sale at €699 11/1/17-18/1/17 etc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Sorry bud, but homeopathy dilutes the substances to a level where there may be no molecules of the active substance in the solution. A 13C solution is the equivalent of a third of a drop of the substance mixed with all the water in the world. Many homeopathic remedies are diluted to beyond this. Apparently it's the "memory" of the substance that cures.

It's 100% grade A bull****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Wow I'm thick. Here I am sitting in my house smelling of lynx and smoking a cigarette while checking my lotto numbers so I can buy a new phone.

I'm framing and printing this ! :D

Brilliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

stimpson wrote: »
    Sorry bud, but homeopathy dilutes the substances to a level where there may be no molecules of the active substance in the solution. A 13C solution is the equivalent of a third of a drop of the substance mixed with all the water in the world. Many homeopathic remedies are diluted to beyond this. Apparently it's the "memory" of the substance that cures.

It's 100% grade A bull****.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭niley

"Precious" stones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,285 ✭✭✭jh79

Herbal Remedies and "Organic" food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Tippex.

That, and L.Casei Immunitas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,602 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Wow, so much fail in one little post!

Yes, pharmaceuticals extract drugs from plants (or synthetic versions of them). Pharmaceuticals have an active ingredient that produces a medical effect. Homeopathy might name check plants on the bottles, but all homeopathic preparations are the same. They're all water. The point of homeopathy is that the weaker the solution, the stronger the effect so they end up diluting them so much that there is no active ingredient left. Homeopathy is water. Nothing else. Sometimes it's even de-hydrated water (when in powdered form)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,519 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Purveyors of "Collectors items", like this one, that sends out junk mail in the hopes of getting a few bites....

https://www.dublinmintoffice.ie/

These days, almost everything sold door-to-door. Just go to a proper trader, shop or online outlet with a guarantee. Usually sold by scammers; factory reject furniture, house alarms, insurance, fire extinguishers, tarmac or building jobs, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Homeopathy products of any description - it's fúcking water, fill up your bath - you've now got a million quids worth of homeopathic snake oilmad.png

If you really want to up the anti - grab a few piss in the beds and turbo charge that shí­t. Not too many though - that weakens it apparently!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,602 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Kinesiology tape

Magic tape that athletes put on their body that they think does something but doesn't

I'm not saying that athletes are stupid, but a lot of them are looking for anything that might give them a performance edge so they buy into all kinds of superstitious nonsense. Psychological boosts can translate into performance boosts, so if your opponent thinks you have an edge because you're covered from head to toe in war paint, and you think you have an edge because you are strapped up in magic tape, then that might be a 1 percent advantage that wins the game.

Fine, that gives some justification for olympic athletes to put the tape on, but for jane Blogs doing the 5k fun run for cancer, spending 20 quid on some cellotape is hilariously silly.

Ice Baths and cryotherepy are another load of nonsense, they don't actually help muscle gain or injury recovery, but they can give a psychological boost by the athlete thinking that because they endured the discomfort of freezing themselves half to death, that they can ride through the burning sensation as their muscles reach their limits towards the end of a race or rugby match.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.dailyedge.ie/plank-of-wood-in-dunnes-2787553-May2016/%3famp=1

That's a link to an article showing Dunnes selling a plank of wood for 60€.

I'm unsure if a person exists that's stupid enough to buy it, but if they do, they're stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Has Lourdes been mentioned yet?

Homeopathy.

Akrasia wrote: »
    Wow, so much fail in one little post!

Yes, pharmaceuticals extract drugs from plants (or synthetic versions of them). Pharmaceuticals have an active ingredient that produces a medical effect. Homeopathy might name check plants on the bottles, but all homeopathic preparations are the same. They're all water. The point of homeopathy is that the weaker the solution, the stronger the effect so they end up diluting them so much that there is no active ingredient left. Homeopathy is water. Nothing else. Sometimes it's even de-hydrated water (when in powdered form)

There must be something in those powders. Dehydrated water is nothing.

Not gonna have a go specifically at IPhone buyers but I have to call out other expensive phone buyers.

Most people generally use their phones for (apart from the obvious) are browsing, social media and listening to music or the odd video. You are pretty much going to get the exact same performance out of a phone that costs €150.

They are paying 3-4 times the price and are getting the exact same Facebook app, YouTube videos and Whatsapp service.

Even the operating system features are pretty much the same. A few years ago Apple were jizzing themselves over swipe texting on their keyboards. I was using an €80 phone that was doing that 2-3 years before that.

A 150 euro phone will be far inferior compared to a high end iPhone or Android phone. I've used some of them owned by people claiming they are just as good as my iPhone and trust me they are no where near, slow, buggy, lower res, crashing, crap cameras, inferior touch screens the list goes on and on.

Now they do a job no doubt and there is nothing wrong with them if you can't afford or are happy with a cheaper smart phone but you can't compare them to high end ones the same as you can compare a Nissan Micra to a Range Rover. They both get you from a to b but the comparison ends there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,519 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

"Gourmet", "Artisan" esp. if the food being described is essentially overpriced junk food. i.e. Burgers and chips.

"Hand made" if it's obvious a machine can't possibly make it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement