Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What products prey on stupid people?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

tastyt wrote: »
    Cars, phones, gym membership.

Really?
    I couldn't do without any of them. Different if you mean needing to have the latest and greatest...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Patww79 wrote: »
    Strongly disagree. I'd take the latest phone over some gimmicky holiday every time.

Luckily we don't dictate what other people do with their money.

You're not going on the right holidays ;)

Crystals, horoscopes, fortune tellers etc. A pile of unproven bullsh!t.

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Mobile phone insurance

You won't say that if you smash your 800 euro smart phone or have it lost/stolen ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I love it when I hear someone spout the marketing-science of a health product.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Smart TVs

A horrible, ugly, awful to use UI at several times the cost of a regular TV with an android box.

If you can say your TV is smart, you're probably not

You won't say that if you smash your 800 euro smart phone or have it lost/stolen ;).

Thats double stupid isn't it?

*edit* Triple on a thought

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭mick.oleary

Yes s/he will.

iPhone insurance is around €100 annually. If you drop your phone then you will likely just need a new screen that costs around €150. So if you have your phone on contract and replace it every 2 years then as long as you drop it only once during the two years you will be better off. That does not even take into account the deductible. If you are dropping your phone more often then you should probably just buy a cheaper phone or cop yourself on and stop being so careless...And as for theft, it doesn't happen that often to warrant the cost of insurance...

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭glaswegian

Anything with Hand in front of it,e.g. hand cut chips,hand squeezed fruit juice.saw hand buttered garlic bread before in a shop which was over a euro dearer than "ordinary" garlic bread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Smart TVs

A horrible, ugly, awful to use UI at several times the cost of a regular TV with an android box.

A very unforgiving user interface, I find. If you accidentally press the wrong button, or the right button too many times, it can be very annoying and time-consuming.

• Advertisement

Yes s/he will.

iPhone insurance is around €100 annually. If you drop your phone then you will likely just need a new screen that costs around €150. So if you have your phone on contract and replace it every 2 years then as long as you drop it only once during the two years you will be better off. That does not even take into account the deductible. If you are dropping your phone more often then you should probably just buy a cheaper phone or cop yourself on and stop being so careless...

150 in some dodgy Chinese shop that will void the warranty and no use whatsoever if it's destroyed, lost or stolen. I get great piece of mind from it anyway and don't have to worry about my phone as I can have it replaced for the 50 euro excess.
    Aeroplane tickets that are orders of magnitude more expensive than the competitors that are Always Getting Better (TM) just because they bring you to an airport that is a couple of miles closer to your destination...

Cheers,
    Mick

Thinking you are getting a great deal by flying to a place miles from where you want to go and then spending lots of money and hassle getting where you actually want to go.

Smart TVs

Android boxes are s***e. Low resolution picture that probably have Chinese s**tware or get you to register to use the app and spam your email.

150 in some dodgy Chinese shop that will void the warranty and no use whatsoever if it's destroyed, lost or stolen. I get great piece of mind from it anyway and don't have to worry about my phone as I can have it replaced for the 50 euro excess.

Surely the smart option is fixing it yourself

You get peace of mind by paying out €200 for a phone that costs €700ish new?

And by the way, I think the Chinese are probably the best people to be repairing these phones. After all, they put them together in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Diet Coke or diet anything that is really tasty that is clearly not healthy.

Just admit to yourself you're consuming something crap , you'll enjoy it more.

Thinking you are getting a great deal by flying to a place miles from where you want to go and then spending lots of money and hassle getting where you actually want to go.

You are probably a cyclist as well...

Weddings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Ray37

Juice Plus, Herbalife and that Aloe Vera ****e. And it preys on the idiots who sell it, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Free-2-Flow

Anything to do with 6 pack abs

• Advertisement

Android boxes are s***e. Low resolution picture that probably have Chinese s**tware or get you to register to use the app and spam your email.

Why would the american ones have Chinese ****ware at the low-low res of 4k

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Anything called "artisan"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Ray37

Those 'fat freezing' treatments that salons do, get your arse to a gym and BURN you fat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Have you ever even had an Android box? Let me guess, you bought it of some fella on donedeal

Why would the american ones have Chinese ****ware at the low-low res of 4k

4K my a**e. The hardware might support 4K but the streaming servers are all crap low res.

What American Android box?

Senna wrote: »
    Have you ever even had an Android box? Let me guess, you bought it of some fella on donedeal

I bought it off Amazon. Waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Concerts. I love pub gigs and smaller concerts but cannot see the appeal in large stadium gigs. I know many will disagree.

Pay a fortune for a ticket in order to spend an evening moving from one queue to another. Queue to get in, for an overpriced drink in a plastic container, repeat as drunk moron knocked over the last one, another queue for a toilet break in a filthy stinking box which ran out of toilet paper and water to flush some time back, spend most of the rest of the time trying to get a look over the multitude of phones being held aloft.
    And then when its over the queuing begins again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

That extra 3 year warranty that argos try to sell you for just about anything you can buy there.

Serious illness cover for mortgages seems to be another one. Seems to be very difficult to actually get anything out of that if you need it.

Overpriced clothes and accessories with the brand written on them in huge letters. You basically pay a company to advertise for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Anything advertised as " Free " . Example . " Buy the latest Toyota wobblewagon for £30000 and get FREE motor insurance " or " Buy your fitted kitchen from us for £10000 and get the tiles FREE "
    So you have to spend vast amounts of money to get the free stuff ??:confused:. Must try dropping into my local car dealer / kitchen showroom and just ask for the free tiles or insurance and see how that works :rolleyes:;)

Advertisement