Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What products prey on stupid people?

Options
  • 03-07-2017 5:50pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭

I just heard an ad for the latest HP printer that will "tell you when your computer is under attack"

Sorry. What? :pac:

Other products that prey on stupid people would be smartphones. If you update yours, spending 700 euros in the process, every year a new model comes out I probably dont want to be your friend.

Also: Cigarettes. How, in 2017, have cigarette companies got new customers?

What other products prey on stupid people?

Comments

Housing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Lynx deodorant

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭RedTie

Housing

We already have a winner!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

It not so much the products as it is marketing and advertising.

nationwide-survey.jpg?1305185424

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

The Lotto.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

Correct grammer book's

Edit: dictionary, the word I was looking for was dictionary.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Sports drinks, minerals.

All the anti wrinkle crap peddled to middle aged women, if your 50 with a face like the Grand Canyon I can guarentee there is nothing in a small jar for any money that will make any difference to anything but your bank balance.

Fake tan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Wow I'm thick. Here I am sitting in my house smelling of lynx and smoking a cigarette while checking my lotto numbers so I can buy a new phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Correct grammer book's

Correct spelling books.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Correct grammer book's

Not sure if joke. . . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,023 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

J

M

L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

everlast75 wrote: »
    J

M

L

Ha yes! Really sh!te products. All of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

Those "physic mediums" that claim to predict the future or contact the dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Healing magnets.
    I don't mind people using stuff thats not medically proven (as long as they do the conventional route too) as the placebo effect is pretty strong but the fact they charge so much for a simple magnetic bracelet is definitely preying on people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

To be fair, we're all stupid when it comes to something.

You hear such utter crap from TV adverts... Homemade, natural, Fast acting etc. Pick your marketing vile :pac: but yet we still buy these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

When it comes to getting money out of people there's no such things as smart or stupid, just easy or hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

RedTie wrote: »
    I just heard an ad for the latest HP printer that will "tell you when your computer is under attack"

Sorry. What? :pac:

Other products that prey on stupid people would be smartphones. If you update yours, spending 700 euros in the process, every year a new model comes out I probably dont want to be your friend.

Also: Cigarettes. How, in 2017, have cigarette companies got new customers?

What other products prey on stupid people?

HP have a point at the enterprise level. As for cigarettes, how has Heroin still got customers a hundred years after it ceased as a brand?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

_Brian wrote: »
    Sports drinks, minerals.

All the anti wrinkle crap peddled to middle aged women, if your 50 with a face like the Grand Canyon I can guarentee there is nothing in a small jar for any money that will make any difference to anything but your bank balance.

Fake tan

Add to that false eye lashes and gel nails

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Fidget spinners! I mean, they prob cost 2¢ to make, sell for between €3 to €10 to kids parents (I guess adults too). Surely it's dying out now that Irish stalls and Chinese shops have millions of them in stock.

In fairness, great money 'spinner', but seriously!

I know it all started with a Kickstarter a year or two ago with that fidget cube yoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Printers are devices on a network. They have a bit of local processing as well. An I.T Dept will expect its printers to do a lot, including not be a vulnerability.

• Advertisement

Fidget spinners!

Kids will always latch onto crazy stuff and parents will always have to buy them.

Ever wonder why the "most popular" toy sells out every Christmas? It's all manufactured to happen that way to cause a frenzy.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,236 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

A lot of health food products!

A lot of health food products!

Seconded.

The majority of protein bars are about as good for you as a Snickers or a Mars bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Those "physic mediums" that claim to predict the future or contact the dead.

I knew you'd say that!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

pajor wrote: »
    The Lotto.

I think there's a lot of pseudo-intellectual sneering at people who do the lotto. I'm sure that most people know the odds of winning are incredibly slim but while they have that ticket they can fantasise about having no money worries, taking exotic holidays, buying a beautiful home, driving an amazing car, looking after their kids' futures and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Big exhausts.

My car is loud this means you should be impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bushmanpm

Bavarian Murder Weapons

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Selfie sticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

The penalli pen set.

People should know they dont need to stab cans in the middle of writing a letter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It not so much the products as it is marketing and advertising.

What marketing and advertising?

Advertisement