Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Lions rugby team

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Difference is each step from number 1 down to number 200 in soccer is a similar drop down the ladder.

In rugby the drop from around number 10 down the next group of teams is massive.

Rugby world wide is like hurling in ireland.
    The way teams score etc makes difference in quality in soccer easier...
    Drop from number 10 to next group of teams isnt massive in rugby.. What of island nations and others not in the main 2 international tournaments?
    Telling it like it is? What a funny sentence.

Didn't you say only 9 countries played to a level, yet you've named 13. You've forgotten about a few though....USA, Canada, Georgia, Russia, Japan, Tonga , Samoa, Uruguay, Namibia.

I don't understand what irks some one so much they have to put people down for liking it.
    Its just real pettiness and i dont know why they do get so wound up by it
    Billy86 wrote: »
    Outside of football is there a team sport that that isn't true about?

Georgia are pretty big into it though, and it's popularity in Canada (particularly at school ages) caught me off guard.
    I dont think there is another sport so comparing anything to football is just a waste of time
    No, im just telling it like it is.

Rugby is only played in about 2 handful of countries to any decent level and after that its only played by select few.

Bar the 6 nations and maybe Romania where would there be any decent level of interest in Rugby in Europe,?

Bar New Zealand, Oz, South Africa, Fiji and Argentina where in World is the same?

Even most of Italy dont even give hoots about it having been there when games were played but I put them in there anyway
    Thats just nonsense and as a rugby follower you should now that.
    There is plenty of interest in Sri Lanka, Japan, Canada, USA amongst many others.
    Look at Georgia and rise of rugby there especially with their recent successes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,417 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The way teams score etc makes difference in quality in soccer easier...
    Drop from number 10 to next group of teams isnt massive in rugby.. What of island nations and others not in the main 2 international tournaments?

Its just real pettiness and i dont know why they do get so wound up by it

I dont think there is another sport so comparing anything to football is just a waste of time

Thats just nonsense and as a rugby follower you should now that.
    There is plenty of interest in Sri Lanka, Japan, Canada, USA amongst many others.
    Look at Georgia and rise of rugby there especially with their recent successes

There may be interest in America, but it's a tiny tiny drop in the ocean when it comes to US sports.

It's is a million miles off the radar screen of the average man in the street.

Even soccer which is a much bigger sport is still a distant 5th behind the big 4 when it comes to interest.

As for the Lions

I have no interest in rugby so I don't care, but I see the way this is being hyped to the last, by Sky because they own the rights and it's summer, and also by RTE who have a head of sport that is very much biased towards rugby.

And well done to the OP, it rare on these boards that a rugby fan is willing to criticise anything to do with rugby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Politics aside, surely what it boils down to in Rugby terms, is 'these islands' against their islands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

There may be interest in America, but it's a tiny tiny drop in the ocean when it comes to US sports.

It's is a million miles off the radar screen of the average man in the street.

Even soccer which is a much bigger sport is still a distant 5th behind the big 4 when it comes to interest.

As for the Lions

I have no interest in rugby so I don't care, but I see the way this is being hyped to the last, by Sky because they own the rights and it's summer, and also by RTE who have a head of sport that is very much biased towards rugby.

And well done to the OP, it rare on these boards that a rugby fan is willing to criticise anything to do with rugby.

RTE is showing less rugby now than it did. Lost the rights to show the world cup. All while nugent been head of sport.

The idea that rte is biased toward rugby is absurd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

RTE is showing less rugby now than it did. Lost the rights to show the world cup. All while nugent been head of sport.
    I'd say that's everything to do with costs and nothing to do with policy.

RTE are showing less top-level sport in general because they are out-bid for it, and we are seeing them cover stuff like the Confederations Cup as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

You could say that about any national side for team sports such as Football or Rugby.

You could?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

osarusan wrote: »

RTE are showing less top-level sport in general because they are out-bid for it, and we are seeing them cover stuff like the Confederations Cup as a result.

Interesting that the costs increased if nobody cares about rugby though. Sky clearly see an audience for the lions.

Still... Less rugby with the head of rte sport being biased towards rugby.

It just doesn't add up.

thelad95 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who can genuinely say that they literally just cannot muster up any enthusiasm for this concept of a team?

A group of players thrown together from four different countries with only a few weeks to bond getting sent to the other side of the planet too play against and supposedly be competitive against the best side in the world.

Anyone who looks at my posts can see I am a rugby fan and actually go to a few Leinster games every season so I'm far from an 'armchair' supporter either, I honestly and regrettably just don't have any affinity or feeling towards the idea of throwing 'the best' players from four different nations together.

The lions is something that started deep in the amateur era of rugby when it was essentially a glorified piss up with a few friendlies thrown in. Nowadays, we're supposed to care about these test matches. To me, it's simply an outdated concept and a part of rugby (along with numerous meaningless internationals which take precedence over actual competitive games being played at the same time) that is deeply rooted in the amateur era and only really being kept alive as a PR plug for all involved stakeholders.

I like the Lions for what is an interesting sporting contest.

Do I support the Lions? No. Not at all. Apart from being interested in seeing how a few Irish lads perform I would have no partisan interests at all.

Interesting that the costs increased if nobody cares about rugby though. Sky clearly see an audience for the lions.

Not saying anything about audiences or that nobody cares, just saying that what RTE show is what they can afford, much more than a policy of promoting one sport over another.

• Advertisement

I've never really understood the point of it.

A team put together from 4 nations, then plays against 1 nation. I mean, even if the Lions win...so what? With the exception of NZ, most of the 4 teams would put up a decent effort by themselves.

I'd be more interested in a game between a 6 Nations representative team against a Rugby Championship representative team.

Scotland recently beat Australia in Australia.

Yet there was some serious whopping and hollering with de loyuns beat Australia four years ago.

Bit daft really.

Always like to see us Irish hold close to our English, Scottish and Welsh brethren.

They're the people that we share all our culture and customs with.

We're not European, we're the British and the Irish.

God only knows where the world would be without all the innovations and inventions of GB and Irish.

I'm not British.

As for sharing culture - we do that every single day of our lives in far more meaningful ways than going on a prolonged piss up a few thousand miles away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

They're still huge interest in Rugby in this Country even in places like Kilkenny and Sligo will have bars full for games.

Dont mind them getting coverage.

For a player, to play for The Lions is still such a big honour, all im saying is that they should be expecting to win a Series more then they do.

The idea that rte is biased toward rugby is absurd.

With the exception of Monday when there is a good bit of GAA spillover the majority of headlines on the sports section of the RTE News website/app are Lions related.

Over the past few years RTE have started showing women's rugby in prime time.

Women's rugby is about as niche market as it gets.

It has no place on the main RTE stations on a Saturday/Sunday afternoon/evening.

It's a summer subscription ploy.

People generally unsubscribe during the summer when soccer is over.
    The Lions is a product to try and keep those subs and get new ones.

They have GAA rights for the very same reason, to keep Irish and British-Irish subs during the summer.

With the exception of Monday when there is a good bit of GAA spillover the majority of headlines on the sports section of the RTE News website/app are Lions related.

Over the past few years RTE have started showing women's rugby in prime time.

Women's rugby is about as niche market as it gets.

It has no place on the main RTE stations on a Saturday/Sunday afternoon/evening.

Well actually it's a good thing rte are showing womens sport. They did win the their version of the six nations a couple of years ago.

You don't have to watch it at the end of the day.

Well actually it's a good thing rte are showing womens sport. They did win the their version of the six nations a couple of years ago.

You don't have to watch it at the end of the day.

What's good about it, it's f**king brutal to watch.

But it's on prime time on RTE.

It is a tiny market, it has no place on prime time on the national station.

Ladies soccer which has probably far more participants in this country does get nothing like the coverage ladies rugby gets.

Just on the lions. I'm obviously a rugby fan. Though I don't really care if they win or lose. I think the tour will disband in the future.

It's usually very good to watch new Zealand play though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

I'd take it to be the exhibition that it is but the hype is incredible.
    Jesus, you'd swear Peter O'Mahony was the new Pope the way the media was carrying on.

I take it as Rugby's equivalent of golf's President's Cup and to a lesser extent The Ryder Cup.
    Where it's the USA versus , not Europe as per the RC, but THE REST OF THE WORLD!
    It's completely irrelevant and merely a bi-ennial side show where you're not really playing for anything really only bragging rights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I think the tour will disband in the future.

The tour won't disband - it's a major money-spinner for all involved.

I can't stand rugby but isn't it nice for us all to be on the same sporting side for once?

Still... Less rugby with the head of rte sport being biased towards rugby.

It just doesn't add up.

Ah seriously now. Rugby is the beginning, middle and end of sports for Ryle Nugent. Sure he used to make himself commentator and host some rugby show.

His other interests are womens rugby, schools rugby and tag rugby. I'd say he doesn't know any other sport. Listen to his accent. Just say his name to yourself "Ryle"..."Ryle"...do you actually think he'd know where Shamrock Rovers are playing next weekend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Anyone read Ewan McKenna's article? It's behind a paywall, but heard them talking about it on Newstalk.

Ah seriously now. Rugby is the beginning, middle and end of sports for Ryle Nugent. Sure he used to make himself commentator and host some rugby show.

His other interests are womens rugby, schools rugby and tag rugby. I'd say he doesn't know any other sport. Listen to his accent. Just say his name to yourself "Ryle"..."Ryle"...do you actually think he'd know where Shamrock Rovers are playing next weekend?

You seem to know nugent inside out. Fair play.

seachto7 wrote: »
    Anyone read Ewan McKenna's article? It's behind a paywall, but heard them talking about it on Newstalk.

What was the jist of the story?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Fun Fact: Ryle Nugent manages an underage football team.

I'm not sure if Ryle does know where Shamrock Rovers are playing next week, I guess only Shamrock and their opponents probably only know that off the top of their heads.

• Advertisement

You seem to know nugent inside out. Fair play.

No I don't know him at all. I just know he lives and breathes rugby. I mean RTE even showed the women's rugby world cup? An absolute joke of a competition, but we won a game a few years back so RTE with it's rugby bias insisted it was an event of public interest. It was mickey mouse stuff...

I'm surprised you didn't know this. The laughing stock that is RTE with it's rugby bias was highlighted by others.

https://www.balls.ie/rugby/ryle-nugent-360473

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

What was the jist of the story?

A marketing fest. He wouldn't be the biggest fan of rugby anyway

http://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/Off_The_Ball/The_Off_The_Ball_Paper_Review/197393/Vincent_Hogan__Paul_Rouse

No I don't know him at all. I just know he lives and breathes rugby. I mean RTE even showed the women's rugby world cup? An absolute joke of a competition, but we won a game a few years back so RTE with it's rugby bias insisted it was an event of public interest. It was mickey mouse stuff...

I'm surprised you didn't know this. The laughing stock that is RTE with it's rugby bias was highlighted by others.

Your talking absolute nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

seachto7 wrote: »

Haven't read it, but McKenna's got a pathological hatred for all things Rugby, not dissimilar to that of Tom Humphries (but lets hope that's where the similarities end).

Ah seriously. Ryle used to commentate on rugby. He presented a rugby show. You can check this stuff up if you don't accept it. We showed the women's rugby world cup. It's a joke. You saying he has no bias towards rugby is laughable, the dogs on the street know this stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Maybe, there's never been less rugby on rte though. Tg4 show more tbh...and rte lost the 6 nations under Vyle Nugent's watch as well.

Can't stand the man as a commentator but let's not overstate things. ( Not as bad as luuuuuke Fitz though...he is just so bad as a media pundit..so so bad.)

Ah seriously. Ryle used to commentate on rugby. He presented a rugby show. You can check this stuff up if you don't accept it. We showed the women's rugby world cup. It's a joke. You saying he has no bias towards rugby is laughable, the dogs on the street know this stuff.

More nonsense

Do you now where the women's World Cup is being held?. Do have a problem with women playing rugby or a problem with women's sport in general being televised more than ever before.

Guess what the good news is though?

You don't have to watch a single minute of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Its been pointed out he coaches an underage football team though, seems a strange move (or cunning ploy!!) for someone with such a bias toward rugby no?

More nonsense

Do you now where the women's World Cup is being held?. Do have a problem with women playing rugby or a problem with women's sport in general being televised more than ever before.

:D

Yeah, pointing out Ryle Nugent's rugby bias means I hate women, obviously.

Anyway, it's been amusing. Just like RTE's inability to pay for the rugby coverage Ryle craves...

Billy86 wrote: »
    Its been pointed out he coaches an underage football team though, seems a strange move (or cunning ploy!!) for someone with such a bias toward rugby no?

Has he a kid in it?

Fellow round here lives sleeps and breathes rugby. Or at least, he has since Munster became successful.

And yet he trains the local sailing club. I guess life is like a box of chocolates!

Do the IRFU attach stipulations regarding coverage of underage games to broadcasting rights for the senior team?

I know the FAI do - RTE don't broadcast LOI games at prime viewing times on Friday nights because they want to, but because they have to.

:D

Yeah, pointing out Ryle Nugent's rugby bias means I hate women, obviously.

Anyway, it's been amusing. Just like RTE's inability to pay for the rugby coverage Ryle craves...

He really irks you doesn't he.

He really irks you doesn't he.

I don't know him. Amused that the suggestion he has a rugby bias seems to have upset you to the point where you are now just posting about me! Relax, he has a rugby bias, it's not a crime, but hardly worth defending to the point of making ad hominem posts.

More nonsense

Guess what the good news is though?

You don't have to watch a single minute of it.

Women's WC is being held in Ireland

But RTE has been showing women's 6 nations games for a good few years.

I don't know him. Amused that the suggestion he has a rugby bias seems to have upset you to the point where you are now just posting about me! Relax, he has a rugby bias, it's not a crime, but hardly worth defending to the point of making ad hominem posts.

You clearly have a problem with him. Your posts show that. The absolute nonsense you've been posting is merely funny to me.

• Advertisement

It's a summer subscription ploy.

People generally unsubscribe during the summer when soccer is over.
    The Lions is a product to try and keep those subs and get new ones.

They have GAA rights for the very same reason, to keep Irish and British-Irish subs during the summer.

Yes but we are told on this thread there is no real interest in the lions. Sky wouldn't be making this effort if there weren't.

Rugby be popular though. In terms of bums on seats in actual stadia (between internationals and provincial club games) it probably bests the GAA.

Soccer fans prefer the comfort of their own homes.

Rugby be popular though. In terms of bums on seats in actual stadia (between internationals and provincial club games) it probably bests the GAA.

Like all sports it depends on how the team is faring. Munster have played in front of a Thomond Park barely over the quarter full mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Do the IRFU attach stipulations regarding coverage of underage games to broadcasting rights for the senior team?

I know the FAI do - RTE don't broadcast LOI games at prime viewing times on Friday nights because they want to, but because they have to.

Yeah they do. So in order to have the rights to 6 Nations, they have to show a certain amount of underage and womens matches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

FAI don't have this stipulation - they can't as they don't actually control the broadcasting rights as it's a centralised UEFA deal that RTE sign up to for the qualifiers.

Not sure about IRFU, again they don't sell the rights to RTE/TV3 directly but they are instead sold through 6NRugby. There may be such a stipulation although I don't recall seeing any England underage games on the BBC?

FAI don't have this stipulation - they can't as they don't actually control the broadcasting rights as it's a centralised UEFA deal that RTE sign up to for the qualifiers.
    Actually that's a fair point these days, but it certainly used to be the case that broadcasting rights to competitive Ireland games came with obligations for league matches and a weekly highlights package.

Ya the AIL gets huge attendences alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

I honestly can't see how that could be the case at all. Gaelic football is often cited as the most widely supported spectator sport in the country.

The Pro-12 gets very average attendances and the only time that the stadium are full are for inter-provincial and big Champions Cup games.
    On the other hand, individual GAA league games within each province would regularly beat attendances at provincial rugby games.
    As for championship games, there's no contest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Ya the AIL gets huge attendences alright
    AIL wasnt mentioned. Poster said provincial club games and club is in reference to provinces and pro12. AIL has lost some crowds but when the provinces play so much people wont be going to both every weekend.
    I honestly can't see how that could be the case at all. Gaelic football is often cited as the most widely supported spectator sport in the country.

The Pro-12 gets very average attendances and the only time that the stadium are full are for inter-provincial and big Champions Cup games.
    On the other hand, individual GAA league games within each province would regularly beat attendances at provincial rugby games.
    As for championship games, there's no contest.
    Pro12 gets average attendance by what measure? Compared to what?
    Provinces play all bar 3 games a season against sides from outside Ireland so there is little/no away support at games. Their crowds are rather good in that respect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I love the Lions and Rugby in general. If you don't enjoy it that's fine, but why would you want rain on those who do?

I am genuinely delighted for the Irish guys that got picked, O'Mahony in particular. You can see what it means to them and because of that I am behind them all the way.

Advertisement