Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When's the last time you cried?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Eyes welled up at the end of Lion recently. You'd want a heart of stone.

It's ok, I cried at that too.

Last time I had a big sob was last week when I got a hand written letter from my niece. She's only 5 and just started school in September but she wrote the whole thing herself and drew me 2 little pictures. I lay in bed sobbing for a good hour. I miss her the most :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Today, talking to one of Capt. Mark Duffy's family. I'm certain there will be many more tears at the funeral on Thursday morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Yesterday reading about a 7yr old boy with terminal cancer whose wish was to be buried with his mum who had died of cancer when he was two. He passed away at the weekend. I have a son the same age and it just stopped me in my tracks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

eviltwin wrote: »
    Yesterday reading about a 7yr old boy with terminal cancer whose wish was to be buried with his mum who had died of cancer when he was two. He passed away at the weekend. I have a son the same age and it just stopped me in my tracks.

Jesus life is so cruel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Cried when we put our dog to sleep about four months ago.

Before that it was a few years, a family member got cancer, before that it was a few years, a family member died.

Anyone who cries at the news needs to be sectioned.

Glenster wrote: »

Anyone who cries at the news needs to be sectioned.

I don't understand what you mean by your last comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

2 mins ago when i read the jambon thread

I don't understand what you mean by your last comment.

Its crazy to cry at the news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Welled up watching The Super Vet the other night, not every pet survives on it. Before that the news of Rescue 116 made me well up a bit too.

Proper cry was after an arguement with my mum a couple months ago.
    :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

The stories are about real people, you know ... :confused:

No empathy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Why?

They may not be events that directly impact you but I think one of the most usual things in the world is to cry when we hear about tragedies. It's having empathy for our fellow humans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

No empathy?

A piece on empathy that I read recently ...
    A psychopath is called so as he suffers from lack of empathy. He cannot and does not empathize with people around him. He is spurred to action only by his self-interest and in a sense is socially dysfunctional. Similarly a narcissist suffers from lack of empathy when he focuses on his own pleasure and goes to any extent of manipulation even with family and friends just to gratify his needs.

Empathy as such is essential for proper social and psychological functioning. A lack of empathy would make people abuse and exploit others in society.

No empathy?

15000 nippers die every day from preventable causes.

If you actually cared you'd never stop crying.

I cried a good bit a couple of weeks ago when I met my new baby nephew for the first time. There's just something so magical and precious about a new life, it's like every baby is a special kind of hope. I knew I loved him before I met him and they were tears of happiness.

Before that, my dad was in Liberia working with Ebola victims during the height of the crisis and I was sick with worry over him to the point that I had to cry almost every day, like a safety valve. Things like that set me off, but I'm not given to crying over trivial things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Tears of joy when I got my degree after a lot of turmoil throughout the final year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

Wasn't a full on cry, but got a bit watery last night watching crimeline.

Poor young man kicked in the head to death by scum and they showed a picture of him aged 9 with his dad at home all smiles.

My boy is nine and the thoughts of not being around to protect him when he's 20 on a night out started a few tears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

I didnt cry but my wife went all teary eye at the film Logan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

15000 nippers die every day from preventable causes.

If you actually cared you'd never stop crying.

I recognise that thinking, that was me once. Too scared to care about anything or else I'd have to accept and care about everything.

A happy balance is possible. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

today... just heard of a sudden death in my extended family in Canada. So young, and everyone is devastated. A man who spent his life caring for homeless folk there, feeding and supporting..

Requiescat in pace, my brother in Christ. Lighting a candle for thee and for all there who are in shock..

May Light Eternal Shine on Thee..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Paleblood

I had a good old cry last night looking at Rio Ferdinand's documentary about losing his wife and being a widowed father to three young kids. There was one scene where the four of them were sat around a table writing down memories of her and placing them in a bottle. It tore me up. Rio comes from a world of hypermasculinity so it must have been difficult for him to express himself and bare his soul in that fasion. Inspirational stuff from the big man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

My last cry was same backwards man .

I'm a 42 year old man .

My 9 year old westie was savaged by two bull mastiffs last June while I was out walking with my 2 year old , nothing I could do , guy got his dogs off eventually but after 7 days of fighting she died , she was doing really well at one point .

Had to pick her up from vets on way home from work and tell my 6 year old daughter and 4 year old son... A real tough day !!!!

We all said goodbye to her and kids looking for things to bury with her for ages . I just wanted to bloody get on with it , heart breaking !!!!

That is awful. I am feeling John wick levels of anger right now. Two wrongs don't make a right but I hope that guy got reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭snowbabe

Bambi985 wrote: »
    Oh that would destroy me. I'm so sorry. RIP BM's lovely dog x
    Me too I just can't imagine it at all, My dog is only 2 and I can't believe how Attached I've become.

Graces7 wrote: »
    today... just heard of a sudden death in my extended family in Canada. So young, and everyone is devastated. A man who spent his life caring for homeless folk there, feeding and supporting..

Requiescat in pace, my brother in Christ. Lighting a candle for thee and for all there who are in shock..

May Light Eternal Shine on Thee..

So sorry for your loss

A lot of nights actually for my daughters when girls are mean and border bullying and they're so disappointed at being left out of things, I cry for them but they don't know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Reading the following story about a bride who was killed on her way to her wedding... :(

I'm usually as hard as nails, honest.

Warning: link contains upsetting footage.

Link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

Crying a lot lately. Last time was this evening, over events which I have no control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

On Monday, wondering when I will stop being a spectacular fcuk up.

Two Thursdays ago I had a bit of a cry. Off I went in the car. Sad songs playing. I miss an old friend and a few other people as well. Makes me sad sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

2 weeks back watching the Billy Connolly special on BBC2. They commissioned 3 artists to paint a portrait of him. Unbeknownst to him they also painted murals of the 3 on buildings in Glasgow.
    He was quite overwhelmed but his reactions are quite stunted due to Parkinson's now, some Black Cab driver came up to him and wished him well, said he was a great man, thanks for everything and take care. You could see that blindsided him.

Gwan the Big Yin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Yesterday. I had an amazing **** meal.

Reading the following story about a bride who was killed on her way to her wedding... :(

I'm usually as hard as nails, honest.

Warning: link contains upsetting footage.

Link.

Bloody hell, the photographer was 6 months pregnant too.
    A tragedy for all involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

At work - just in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

Last January. Hadn't cried for years.
    Our daughter was just a few weeks old and after a bottle she made some horrible choking sounds that simply scared the **** out of me. Thankfully, she was ok. Through a combination of tiredness, worry I wept sitting in the chair thinking about how I would feel if anything were to happen to her. And the dark thoughts of what I might do to myself in the wake of it because I would blame myself completely.
    I realised what a huge responsibility I had now and I wasn't 100% sure I was capable or perhaps ready there and then.

Last time I welled up before that was when I was running through College Green at the end of the Dublin Marathon in 2011. My first, and I was finishing strong. It was something I never thought I'd ever do being such a lazy git but I thought of the training I'd done, the many long runs, the commitment I made to do it and I just welled up. I've done marathons since and the Ironman in Wales, but I never welled up once during those. They simply didn't compare to that minute of running past Trinity onto Nassau St with the crowds cheering us on. It was what psychologists call a Peak experience i.e. something you would vividly remember on your deathbed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Marley and Me... as the housemate of an elderly lab it's gut wrenching

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

30 minutes ago, watching this. Just really touching and I'm slightly hungover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I'm not normally the emotional type, nothing really sets me off. Visited Auschwitz a few years ago and was thoroughly unmoved. Don't get me wrong, I understand the horror which happened there and mans inhumanity. I'd consider myself quite empathetic but nothing really emotional hits home.

Go back five weeks ago though and I was a blubbering mess, my daughter was born and I randomly cried for a good few days and it was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭CFlat

Last night. I opened up my fridge and all my beer was gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

Nearly this morning. Work pressures

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jrop

yesterday I cried my eyes out due to work being rubbish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Finally got round to watching the final episode of Little Boy Blue last night, definitely felt my self welling up. Jermaine Defoe talking about his bond with wee Bradley Lowery yesterday also bought a tear as well.

You have to wonder if these pressure jobs are really worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jrop

It's not worth it at all. It's not a pressurised job just not happy here so applying for other jobs

Jrop wrote: »
    It's not worth it at all. It's not a pressurised job just not happy here so applying for other jobs

Me too!

Marley and Me... as the housemate of an elderly lab it's gut wrenching

That's a fantastic description of a dog. I've never heard it expressed like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭nihicib2

Yesterday, I couldn't get a round bale of hay out of the trailer by myself, so pure thickness/stupidity took over and I eventually rolled it out, hurting my shoulder in the process. I sat down with many swear words starting to form and one of my goats came over and put her head on my shoulder. I thought she was comforting me and when I looked down she had eaten though my headphone cable. I cried, in a half laugh half f##k this s##t sorta way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Pac1Man wrote: »
    You have to wonder if these pressure jobs are really worth it.

Pressured job or non pressured job, definitely not. If your crying over work something is very wrong and you should be moving on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

razorblunt wrote: »
    That's a fantastic description of a dog. I've never heard it expressed like that.

He's too cool to have an 'owner', in many ways he's smarter than I am so would be really unfair on him for me to describe myself as his owner, he also act's like he owns the feckin place so I have come to the conclusion in recent years that he's just a housemate that I have who doesn't pay rent.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I genuinely cannot remember the last time I really properly cried. Not teary eyed and lump in my throat, happens all the time, but proper tears streaming down my cheeks. Probably not since I was a kid.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

This afternoon. Had friends from abroad visiting. One of which I consider like a second mother. It was her first time taking a holiday and we had such a great week, seeing her take a break and just enjoy herself for once. Just wanted her to stay forever. We both cried our eyes out saying goodbye and I'm still teary now. :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement