Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Locations for wild mushrooms?

Options
  • 23-08-2014 10:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm looking for any decent places to pick edible wild mushrooms. I went for a walk today around a lake in Roscommon and picked some Russula and some Birch Boletes. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Third3ye

Im pretty sure you'll find some in most fields where cows are grazing. When I was working on farms years ago, I remember seeing them in great abundance. But back then I had not much intrest so I never looked into whether they were edible or not.
    On a side note, this week is the time to be picking wild blackberrys before the birds scoff them. Blackberry and apple crumble = happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Fields where cows graze & the short grass on golf courses early in the morning... There are long narrow mushrooms...

*note, some mushrooms may have side effects that are detrimental to survivalism

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 lostHorizons64

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Fields where cows graze & the short grass on golf courses early in the morning... There are long narrow mushrooms...

*note, some mushrooms may have side effects that are detrimental to survivalism

Why just in the morning?, like can be possible for example that they would come up tomorrow morning, but by the evening they would be gone?

thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭kevc2

Not looking for those types of mushrooms! I was in Avondale house today, found lots more Bolets, Cow Bolets I think. If it would be possible to tag a long with someone one day that would be great, I'm still just learning the different types.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Why just in the morning?, like can be possible for example that they would come up tomorrow morning, but by the evening they would be gone?

thanks.

At least some types only come out in the mornings with the dew on the grass and then disappear...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 lostHorizons64

Bluefoam wrote: »
    At least some types only come out in the mornings with the dew on the grass and then disappear...

holy jesus.

ohhh wow ok.

thank you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Safety advice has been issued on wild mushrooms as figures reveal 11 children and seven adults are known to have been poisoned by fungal organisms this year.

The Food Safety Authority of Ireland (FSAI) has strongly advised people not to eat wild mushrooms without the advice of an expert mushroom forager.

It called on parents to be vigilant in relation to children near wild mushrooms.

The warning coincides with the start of the foraging season, and an increase in inquiries to the National Poisons Information Centre of Ireland in relation to wild mushroom consumption.

In 2013, 19 cases of poisoning related to wild mushrooms were notified to the centre involving seven adults and 12 children.

To date this year, 18 cases have been notified, involving seven adults and 11 children.

All the children had eaten wild mushrooms accidentally.
    Full article here http://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/wild-mushroom-warning-as-11-children-and-7-adults-poisoned-this-year-1.1949465

I know we here understand the danger, but this pretty much reinforces the dangers of picking wild mushrooms.

Advertisement