Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Maintenence cost per year

Options
  • 01-11-2012 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if I need to change things -

Have a boardman team Carbon that I use for commuting all year round ( 5000km per year ) then also train and race on it ( 5000km per year plus)

The bike is 22months old

In July I got the bottom bracket replaced and I need the 2 chain rings / chain / cassette replaced now

Would this amount of wear and tear be average or above average , Im maybe considering using my mountain bike for the winter instead or should I just clean it alot more ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

In that time frame I'd expect to change the chain. Cassette should only need changing if you've been treating it badly. Chainrings should still be fine after 5000km.

I wouldn't be too surprised to have to replace a BB after 5000km but I wouldn't want to be replacing it every 5000km. The square taper, sealed cartridge BB on my hack bike has about 40,000km and yeah, it technically needs changing at this stage but it still works.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

chain / cassette wear is pretty much to be expected. There's a reasonable chance that your chainrings are ok. If you change the chain more frequently, you won't have to change the cassette each time. Get a chain wear gauge so you can see when to do it.

My bike is near 4 years old and in that time I have replaced about 3 cassettes, 8 or 9 chains, 2 rear derailleurs and one bottom bracket. I'd say you're doing fine...

Oh, and two sets of wheels, about 10 tyres and 20 brake blocks...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

+1 on the chainware tool, will save you a ton of money in the long run if your doing big miles

Advertisement