Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baselayers - staying warm in General

Options
  • 31-10-2012 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    I've been a fair weather cyclist up to now, time to get out in winter. I was doing laps of howth the other morning, roasting going up the hill, freezing my ass off on the decent. Now I wear running gear, tights, t-shirt, cycling jacket, I also have some over shoes, acquired recently. I was cold on top, so reckon I could do with a baselayer of some description. Can anyone recommend a reasonable type, budget is low for this.

On the overshoes front, I figure these would keep my feet toasty... but no, still size 10 blocks of ice.

It wasn't even that cold out :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Pedal hard on the way down.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I find too much gear as bad as too little, as if you sweat when hot this leaves your base layer damp and cold. For me, thin long sleeved base layer, thin jersey, light gilet or light waterproof jacket, gloves, sealskinz hat under the helmet, shorts, leg warmers, and neoprene overshoes. I tend to wear the gilet going out, and put the jacket on instead if the arms are getting cold. I'd also bring a set of light under gloves and arm warmers if going out on a longer spin.

Tried the aldi jacket, and it was too heavy for me, though maybe better in colder weather. Find the aldi leg base layer quite good under shorts as an alternative to the leg warmers.

The hat makes a major difference if you're not already wearing one, as it adds lots of warmth, but doesn't contribute much sweat. Under gloves also good, as having your hands too cold to use the brakes or gears is not a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

You've probably figured out that lots of thin layers rather than a few thick layers are the keys to warmth.

As Raam mentioned, pedal on the way down - To that I'd add open your jacket on the way up and zip it back up over the top - get some windproof gear. I use a windproof base layer and neoprene over-shoes and generally stay toasty enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Raam wrote: »
    Pedal hard on the way down.

In weather like this that doesn't quite work. Tried it this morning and while legs got warmer the hands turned into two sticks of ice. Even full finger gloves couldn't help. And there was me thinking that only going up hill hurts :D

Hmmzis wrote: »
    In weather like this that doesn't quite work. Tried it this morning and while legs got warmer the hands turned into two sticks of ice. Even full finger gloves couldn't help. And there was me thinking that only going up hill hurts :D

I hate that frozen finger feeling. It's the one part of me which suffers in the winter. I try go with something insulating and then a windproof layer over it. It kinda works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

I wrapped up well at the weekend, Altura ss baselayer, dhb bibtights, light jersey and hi viz jacket, woolly leinster hat under the helmet, and gloves. I hammered (slight exageration) up Naul, Snowtown and round by Knockbrack - heated up nicely on the hills but didn't melt and didnt chill too much either. Worked well considering I thought it was freezing for the first 15 mins or so.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

What about a merino wool base layer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Donie75

This base layer top is in Lidl from tomorrow http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/SID-01C5983C-09D4D315/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/index_25743.htm

I bought Giordana Winter gloves during one of the CRC/Wiggle Summer sales. They are really good.
    Planet X also do some good winter gear offers. I have their heavy neoprene overshoes and a stretchy rubbery rain jacket.
    I also bought unpadded bib tights and I wear these over my good bib shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I was out for over 4 hours on Monday. It was 6C when I left my house and was reading the same when I got home. Other than a few short sunny spells I don't think the temperature got above that for the entire ride, and going over Wicklow Gap I think it was colder still. I wore a thin, synthetic, long-sleeved baselayer and a jacket over the top. That same two-layer combination has worked well for me many times in the past, in colder conditions too. The base layer wicks well but I think it's the jacket that makes the biggest contribution. It's an Assos AirJack 851 jacket, which is not particularly heavy but it has windproof panels on the arms and chest. Windproofing counts for a lot, I find, and if windproof panels are positioned well then they don't detract from breathability.

I also wore medium-weight Castelli tights, Castelli gloves, DeFeet Wooleator (merino) socks, neoprene overshoes, and a buff as a cap under my helmet. My feet never got cold and though I thought my fingers might they were fine too.

Generally though, I'm a big fan of merino, I just haven't found the need to resort to it yet (other than on my commute) since the above combination has been working so well for me. I regularly wear a single 150gsm merino long-sleeved layer on my (30min to 40min) commute down to about 5C and it works great, wearing another layer on top might actually cause me to melt though it might be fine for a longer spin. Not all merino is the same though - I found Planet-X/On-one merino to be not nearly as good as Rapha or Chocolate Fish merino, for example, and my wife has been impressed by Icebreaker merino too. Unfortunately, Rapha dramatically increased the price of some of their merino base layers in recent months and their current price would be hard to bear.

One thing that I noticed recently, though I can't find it now, is advice to not wear more than one layer of windproof material. I think it was on some of the blurb that came with a Castelli windproof base layer. I think it mentioned that wearing a windproof base layer and an outer windproof layer would result in more build up of condensation in/under the base layer, which could result in you getting cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I hate that frozen finger feeling. It's the one part of me which suffers in the winter. I try go with something insulating and then a windproof layer over it. It kinda works.

Thick fleecy gloves (Berghaus) over grippy glove liners (Prendas Super Roubaix) works for me. The fleece gloves are even acceptably rain resistant.

Prendas 'Air Tunnel' Winter Overshoes are also the best I've tried, much better fitting and looking than neoprene.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Icebreaker merino is what I have. I'm a big wuss and really feel the cold, I'd rather be sweating my mammary glands off than feel a bit of cold. I had the merino on me at the start of September. :o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Donie75 wrote: »

i got one of the lidl performance tops when they had the running gear, it's superb, if these are simialr,and they are the same brand they're well worth picking up

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Want2know

Got myself a couple of these. I've only worn a couple of times but great job so far:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SUB-DUAL-Top-Long-Sleeve/dp/B001QTLX6Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351685249&sr=8-1

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bbolger

I find the Cantebury cold baselayer is great.

41F0NJeKljL._SL190_CR0,0,190,246_.jpg

Elverys or Champion sports sometimes have special deals on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Sounds like you need a windproof gilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bbolger

An old but good post here in general on staying warm for winter:

http://rideitlikeyoustoleit.wordpress.com/2008/10/31/winter-gear/

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭silvo

If you are up near belfast, they are doing baselayers in Decathlon for 4.99. I think they are more for skiing, but they look toasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

Low budget? For windproofing try paper (newspaper, bags, whatever), clingfilm etc under your jacket on the descent; They're all windproof. For warmth, any sort of wool is best; It wicks well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

I find that wearing a warm hat cures it for me. Less heat leakage out the noggin = blood supply not cut off to extremities and I can wear fingerless gloves all winter. The first couple of km are still hell but it's a temporary hell.

I find that wearing a warm hat cures it for me. Less heat leakage out the noggin = blood supply not cut off to extremities and I can wear fingerless gloves all winter. The first couple of km are still hell but it's a temporary hell.

What should I do to keep my nose warm? Extra socks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

What should I do to keep my nose warm? Extra socks?
    Willy warmer, obviously.

Willy warmer, obviously.

So extra socks then.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

Neck warmer worked well at the weekend for nasal heat, but fogging of spectacles ensued

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭MrScootch

The DHB stuff from Wiggle.co.uk is really very good and not very expensive.
    Some combination of a long sleeve base layer and one of their windproof zip up tops does me for most of the year. I'll add an old merino wool jumper under the windproof if it's really cold.

Decathlon deliver down here from their Belfast shop as well (you put EIRE as the postcode), I'd go for their sports stuff over Lidl/Aldi any day, plus you don't have to wait for that one week a year or whatever. Wish they'd open a shop here actually!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

i got a decent base layer in the new discount sports shop in the pavilions in swords on sunday. good quality, keeps me nice and warm... cheap too:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭JMcL

I got a a few of these in Decathlon at the weekend. I've only worn it a couple of time so far, but it's warm, and seems to do a decent job wicking away sweat. I'd also tried the ski base layer that somebody else recommended, but I prefered the tighter fit of the Kipsta.

Another option would be these from EBay (that's the first seller I came up with by search so not recommending them in particular!). A few of the lads got them and are happy with them. They'd be a bit lighter than the Decathlon ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

t'bear wrote: »
    Neck warmer worked well at the weekend for nasal heat, but fogging of spectacles ensued

i have one of these for the really cold mornings.....

212cEo2hXNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

lizzylad84 wrote: »
    i got a decent base layer in the new discount sports shop in the pavilions in swords on sunday. good quality, keeps me nice and warm... cheap too:D

Good old pavillions, I'll have a look in there. I want to fit these on as its the first time I've bought them. Hopefully that'll be the top sorted.

I've given up trying to keep my feet warm, have overshoes, not much improvement. Still blocks of ice. I want to do some duathlons in the new year, transitions should be a laugh!

Advertisement