Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open mic

Options
  • 03-01-2012 12:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

For the singers / listeners. Its new year and all that, I'm hoping to go out and do a few open mics not sure if I'm ready. I'm fairly new to singing had some bother at start getting used to my own voice, put me off for a while but trying to overcome. Anyone got the time to listen to a song I've uploaded? Working on re doing some classics this ones pretty much done, if it sounds good enough not to empty a building might just move onto another. Thanks.

http://soundcloud.com/fg312/bad-penny

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Hey buddy I like it and you sing fine. I'd give open mic nights a go, but one word is know what kind of audience is it you're playing too. Rory is a legend no doubt, but the youth today probably won't dig him as much(unless they have taste lolol).

Ps. If you have a link where you have tabs of his songs hit me up via pm if you can every site I've used has them all copyright blocked...

pps. Wouldn't mind hearing some more uploads too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

This is certainly good enough for open mic! You've a nice tone to your voice. Nice phrasings as well.

I know blokes that gig regularly and your voice is better than theirs. Have a little faith - go for it. After the first time, you'll wonder what you were worried about. Have fun.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 FG312

Thanks, not one for reading tabs, I just use my ears so sorry cant help. I've nothing new recorded. I found something of my own wrote a few months back was never happy with the vocals sounds like im talking, I'll go back to it when voice improves. If you want to listen work away.

http://soundcloud.com/fg312/isabelle-at-home

Is phrasing the way you sing or the notes you sing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Phrasing is thinking in terms of more than just the notes, but imparting the musical message. A phrase might be two or three bars long, so try not to sing as if you're just going note to note to note, but keep a sense of direction as you move along, aiming to get to the peak of the phrase wherever that is.

I get you now like telling a story with voice, instead of just singing notes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Shy?!

Defo good enough for open mic. Go for it! I'd like to hear you live. Let me know when you're doing your first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Also, if you're just going out singing because you want to be out singing, then try not to base your opinion of yourself on what we think of your voice. Do it for yourself, and not for us/the wider public.

Unless you're absolutely woeful, the crowd will still clap as you finish, so you'll be grand. If you fk up, give a smile to say "Yeah, I know, I know, but I'm moving on, stay with me" and just keep going. No matter how bad a singer is, stopping because you've messed up is worse.

Thanks, good info. Just to finish two more songs and I'll go for it.

Just finished up working on another song for the set, just a solo part to work out and its good to go. Quick clip uploaded to soundclould for anyone who wants to listen, give advice ect. 1 song left to do.

http://soundcloud.com/fg312/srv-life-story

Advertisement