Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Butter - shelf life in a larder

Options
  • 04-10-2014 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

How long would you think salted butter would remain safely edible if stored as wrapped in a stable environment such as a pantry?

I am sure generations previous surely stored it for several months at a time?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

How long would you think salted butter would remain safely edible if stored as wrapped in a stable environment such as a pantry?

I am sure generations previous surely stored it for several months at a time?

Google bog butter :cool:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭CaptainAhab

Thanks for the response - it seems from further searching that butter is best kept refrigerated - perhaps previous generations had a pantry that stayed at 5-6degrees for this purpose.

If I get a chiller built for game someday then I will be able to store it there..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Thanks for the response - it seems from further searching that butter is best kept refrigerated - perhaps previous generations had a pantry that stayed at 5-6degrees for this purpose.

If I get a chiller built for game someday then I will be able to store it there..

Sounds right for the pantry. I've seen plenty in old farm houses in the UK that do exactly that with very little temperature variation from season to season. The best ones would have game hooks in the ceiling and marble work tops all around the walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

my3cents wrote: »
    Sounds right for the pantry. I've seen plenty in old farm houses in the UK that do exactly that with very little temperature variation from season to season. The best ones would have game hooks in the ceiling and marble work tops all around the walls.

Not only the UK - old houses here had similar pantry / larder arrangements.

Old dairy houses (sheds) normally had stone flag floors, small cross directional windows with shutters that allowed airflow & kept out excess light. They were often situated at the northern end of a farm yard and some had a running rill of water which helped stabilise temperatures. Another feature was the use of planted tree(s) -usually sycamore that sheltered the dairy keeping the dairy cool even on hot days.

There are several good Victorian references available online about dairy construction and keeping dairy products fresh before refrigeration.

• Advertisement
Advertisement