Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Lions rugby team

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Average compared to GAA as the previous poster had said that rugby gets higher attendances.

For example, GAA average attendance is 19,092; making it one of the best attended sports in the word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Ye I don't get it in this day and age,
    "Oh we need the very best of  four nations to beat New Zeeland ", eh no we don't .Ireland beat them in US last year,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Average compared to GAA as the previous poster had said that rugby gets higher attendances.

For example, GAA average attendance is 19,092; making it one of the best attended sports in the word.

Where are you getting the average attendance from? The average in 2016 for the football championship is 13,146 per game.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/revealed-the-attendance-figures-for-the-gaa-football-championships-are-a-cause-for-concern-35145508.html

GAA is only well attended if it's a big game. You'd be lucky if the ref turned up to a league match between Carlow and Leitrim.

Seems like the GAA championship and the Rugby Pro12 have pretty similar attendances.

http://rugbylad.com/irish-provinces-top-average-attendance-in-the-pro12-champions-cup-this-season/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭howiya

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Where are you getting the average attendance from? The average in 2016 for the football championship is 13,146 per game.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/revealed-the-attendance-figures-for-the-gaa-football-championships-are-a-cause-for-concern-35145508.html

GAA is only well attended if it's a big game. You'd be lucky if the ref turned up to a league match between Carlow and Leitrim.

Seems like the GAA championship and the Rugby Pro12 have pretty similar attendances.

http://rugbylad.com/irish-provinces-top-average-attendance-in-the-pro12-champions-cup-this-season/

Do Leinster still count people who don't go to the games in their attendance figures?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

AIL wasnt mentioned. Poster said provincial club games and club is in reference to provinces and pro12. AIL has lost some crowds but when the provinces play so much people wont be going to both every weekend.

Lost some crowds?

That's putting it mildly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Beefy78 wrote: »
    The tour won't disband - it's a major money-spinner for all involved.

I can't stand rugby but isn't it nice for us all to be on the same sporting side for once?

We already do..it's called Ireland. The only interest most Irish people have in the lions is Irish players making the tour/team and doing well. Also avoiding injury is a priority.

I have no interest in Farrell or Williams or Hogg doing well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Lost some crowds?

That's putting it mildly
    Well when league was its heyday the provinces didnt play much at all. Even in early 00s the pro league struggled.

Well when league was its heyday the provinces didnt play much at all. Even in early 00s the pro league struggled.

They're not even a 150 at the Ulster Bank Bateman Cup final between Belvedere and Cork Con back in April

They're not even a 150 at the Ulster Bank Bateman Cup final between Belvedere and Cork Con back in April

Yeah I remember seeing that. Rugby Club game in Ireland is very badly attended. Very badly promoted as well compared to AIB and their gaa club competition advertising.

Was there? Most club games i do attend, and i attend more than most, would have much better crowds
    Yeah I remember seeing that. Rugby Club game in Ireland is very badly attended. Very badly promoted as well compared to AIB and their gaa club competition advertising.
    What would you see as well attended and club game in hurling/gaelic is very different to it in Rugby.

• Advertisement

Was there? Most club games i do attend, and i attend more than most, would have much better crowds

It was on Tv. Even Commentary said it was awful crowd.

What would you see as well attended and club game in hurling/gaelic is very different to it in Rugby.

Why are club games in gaa different? I would agree rugby clubs differ anyway. A lot of rugby club players unlike gaa club players have no affinity with their club or the community.

Why are club games in gaa different? I would agree rugby clubs differ anyway. A lot of rugby club players unlike gaa club players have no affinity with their club or the community.
    The top players in country play club GAA which isnt the case with rugby.
    How do "a lot" of club rugby players not have any affinity with their club or community?

The top players in country play club GAA which isnt the case with rugby.
    How do "a lot" of club rugby players not have any affinity with their club or community?

I see huge crowds at even junior level in
    matches not just senior club level where most inter county players play.

Players in rugby can move club at the drop of a hat unlike gaa clubs. Know a good few lads who moved. In gaa very rare to move unless at other end of country.

I see huge crowds at even junior level in
    matches not just senior club level where most inter county players play.

Players in rugby can move club at the drop of a hat unlike gaa clubs. Know a good few lads who moved. In gaa very rare to move unless at other end of country.
    GAA has overly restrictive transfer rules IMO by and large and you keep saying huge crowds? What is a huge crowd?

GAA has overly restrictive transfer rules IMO by and large and you keep saying huge crowds? What is a huge crowd?

I disagree re transfers. GAA is so strong is due to its community links and it's importance in that community. By allowing players to move would threaten that not that many would anyway.

Well up to a thousand people would be a huge crowd for a junior gaa match far more than you get at a club rugby match. For a final in a gaa club match at upper levels you would be talking 5 to 10k. The cork final a few years ago had 25k. Now that's massive when combined population of club area was 5k!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

thelad95 wrote: »
    A group of players thrown together from four different countries with only a few weeks to bond getting sent to the other side of the planet too play against and supposedly be competitive against the best side in the world.

What are your thoughts now?

I really enjoyed it, what an end game, what a kick from Elliot Daly!

Advertisement