Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name being used bills

Options
  • 21-01-2021 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi how can I find out if my name is being used on someone else company or any bills

Should I get a credit report which I think is free
    Or is there a form I can fill out on revenue of a history check

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Credit report likely won't cover bills.

If you have evidence a company has stolen your identity you should talk to the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Laura2021

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    Credit report likely won't cover bills.

If you have evidence a company has stolen your identity you should talk to the Gardai.

I found out my cousin who I am very close to put my name down on a virgin media bill. My name but her address.
    Is there anyway of checking if my name is on any other bills? Without getting the garda getting involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

Have you done either or both of these things?

1. Get your credit report. It probably won't show bills, but that would be the least of your worries. I'd be far more worried about credit cards and loans which unknownst to you might have been taken out. (And I'm sorry to say is far more likely)

2. Speak to your cousin. Ask her what else she's stuck your name up for and why. Does she have bad credit?

What will you do if you find out there's other credit items you had nothing to do with?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Laura2021 wrote: »
    I found out my cousin who I am very close to put my name down on a virgin media bill. My name but her address.
    Is there anyway of checking if my name is on any other bills? Without getting the garda getting involved.

I think at this point you need to re-evaluate your relationship with your cousin. Sounds like she may be a toxic person who doesn't understand boundaries.

I agree with the other poster - get a credit check to make sure nothing serious is going on.

Regarding the bills, you need to talk to your cousin.

It's kind of unbelievable you're in this situation. Unfortunately your cousin is a ****ty person.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

No simple way of checking. You could try to find out who does each of her utility accounts (gas, electricity, mobile phone, landline) and contact the privacy section of each one with your dilemma and see how you get on. It would be a slow, painful process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,280 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Out if interest would Virgin media not look for ID to create an account in the first place? Your name and her address wouod seem a big slip up by them as they will have zero comeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rostalof

Hi how can I find out if my name is being used on someone else company or any bills

Should I get a credit report which I think is free
    Or is there a form I can fill out on revenue of a history check

Revenue won't have any records of personal bills belonging to you or anybody else. Revenue doesn't have access to citizens private bills from utility companies. Even if bills were submitted by you or somebody else for an audit or other intervention, they're only held on file until that issue is resolved, then disposed of.

Out if interest would Virgin media not look for ID to create an account in the first place? Your name and her address wouod seem a big slip up by them as they will have zero comeback.

I opened a Virgin Media account some time ago and they did ask for ID. Although married, the only ID I had with me at the time was my driving licence which is in my maiden name. So the account was opened with that, but had to jump through all kind of hoops to change it to the married one, as the payments were coming from our joint account. Marriage cert and husband present on the phone - all sorts!

It happened a few months ago. I got onto virgin media and told them to cancel the account under my name . I was back living at home by then and I only had a few bills going out and virgin media was not one of them .
    I then set up a password if my name was ever to come up again the person would have to answer the password to set up an account.

I ordered a credit report yesterday.

My cousin was I debt before and debt collectors actually came to her mothers house but she made sure to not have anything in her name so they couldn't take anything.

I'm more worried about if I was to get mortgage which I plan to in the next few years my name could be down as bad credit but there has to be a way to prove it wasnt me if they do find anything.

My cousin has her own business now, and my mam told me that her sister my cousins mam has her down in the company as a secretary or something like that she signs papers every now and then but doesnt actually work in the company or do any work .
    Can my cousin clam tax back or a wage for her mam without her mam knowing and pick up any extra money or tax back .

My mam has told her sister to look at what she is signing as if she owns any money they could go to her for it which she would not be able to pay.

I told trust her anymore when it comes to money or anything to do with business that's why I'm making sure my name isnt being used and i dont have bad credit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

My cousin has her own business now, and my mam told me that her sister my cousins mam has her down in the company as a secretary or something like that she signs papers every now and then but doesnt actually work in the company or do any work .
    Can my cousin clam tax back or a wage for her mam without her mam knowing and pick up any extra money or tax back .

My mam has told her sister to look at what she is signing as if she owns any money they could go to her for it which she would not be able to pay.

I told trust her anymore when it comes to money or anything to do with business that's why I'm making sure my name isnt being used and i dont have bad credit.

Any wage paid through payroll properly should show on your mother's sisters Revenue MyAccount (it should be linked by use of her PPSN).

It's possibly she does up an invoice in another name and pays herself, but my first assumption is she did this to meet CRO requirements.

Lot's of people use family as unpaid official CoSecs, who do nothing but a few signatures, as the CRO requires minimum two directors (one who can be secretary) or one director and a separate secretary.

Now, you know her for other questionable things, so I'd personally be reticent to be a company official for anyone who has a history of shady behaviour, but at least the relative is not down as a Director.

Director's have official legal duties and can end up in trouble if they are not met, Secretaries of private limited companies only have the duties as assigned by director(s), so is much more vague and less likely to end anyone in bother if things go wrong and she leaves the company in a mess.

It happened a few months ago. I got onto virgin media and told them to cancel the account under my name . I was back living at home by then and I only had a few bills going out and virgin media was not one of them .
    I then set up a password if my name was ever to come up again the person would have to answer the password to set up an account.

I ordered a credit report yesterday.

Well done you! Smart move. Did you tell Virgin the bill isn't yours? Just make sure the password isn't something that can be easily guessed...
    My cousin was I debt before and debt collectors actually came to her mothers house but she made sure to not have anything in her name so they couldn't take anything.

For me, this sounds as shady AF, and the alarm bells should be ringing!
    I'm more worried about if I was to get mortgage which I plan to in the next few years my name could be down as bad credit but there has to be a way to prove it wasnt me if they do find anything.

Don't panic yet. Wait for the credit report to arrive. If there are loans and credit cards that aren't yours, then take action. Starting with calling the Gards. If your cousin has taken out loans, etc. in your name, then that's fraud. And a very serious matter. It'll be down to the Gards to prove the loans aren't yours.

But we're not there yet. Try not to worry. And speak to your cousin. Find out what else there is and why she's put your name up!

Good luck!

Well done you! Smart move. Did you tell Virgin the bill isn't yours?

I did tell then and got in cancelled. I gave a good password definitely something not easy .
    Thanks for the help I will let yous know if I find anything when I get my credit report.

Hi just just an update I got my credit report in the post . It's all clear no loans or anything on it.

Advertisement