26-11-2019, 22:42   #1
Kurt_Godel.

The Abyss Gazes Also

The past half year has been unproductive, if profitable. Time that might have been enjoyed in the sea, or the hills, or on the turbo; was instead spent in the office dealing with a growing business. Long days, weekends in the office, relentless with few breaks... by September I was overstressed and developing health issues. There's a work/life balance that people talk about, but balance is always something I've shied away from, preferring to upset the apple cart if it gets too even. However the health issues were so severe (difficulty breathing) that I need to start training again, as much for the mental aspect as the physical. So lets once again try and understand what harmony means...

October I managed to train most days, although swimming has gone to pot, and I'm heavier than I've been in years so running is laboured. But the breathing is getting better, and breathing is life, so I can't complain.

Mon 25th Oct 2019:
1,800m swim (1k straight in 18:28; 3*{2*50 hard off 60s, 100EZ off 2:00}; 200 EZ
First time in the pool in ages, swim fitness has plummeted and is about 10s/100m slower than normal. That's ok, it will come back with consistency- normal is a function of consistency.
Struggling to keep the 50's under 45s, onwards and upwards from here.

45min S&C

Tue:
20min EZ Fastlane

60min Turbo
10min EZ
5*30s hard, 30s EZ
Main set: 4*(8min 300W+, 2min EZ)
5min cooldown
Felt strong for this

7.9k easy run 5:40pace
Easy run in the nighttime rain, chatting pace throughout. Ended down by Courtown harbour watching some spectacular crashing waves.
Advertisement
28-11-2019, 22:11   #2
Kurt_Godel.

Wed:
20mins Fastlane
felt pretty good actually, working off a decent stroke.

15min yoga prerun
8.2k run in 42:35 (15min EZ, balance built to PE8)
Grabbed the very last of the evenings light in the mucky forest, had to curtail slightly as it was just too dark.

Thurs:
10min yoga preturbo
45min turbo:
5min EZ
5*(30s on, 30s off)
60s EZ
4*(4min steady 260W+, 2min EZ)
10min EZ

I was asked on Strava what my FTP is (I guess my wattage probably looks very high on Strava for the set). Think my FTP is 270- but I work off however the turbo is calibrated from whenever i first got it. That probably has me "moving" faster and at a higher wattage than if done under road conditions... not really sure if that makes any huge difference since I've a fair idea what turbo wattage is compared to perceived effort. And the prescribed sets are based on PE so everything should be good based on a personal yardstick.
01-12-2019, 17:09   #3
Kurt_Godel.

Fri 30min Fastlane; 45mins S&C
Felt good in the water, catching it well.
S&C: 8 sets of (20 goblet squats, 20 bulgarian split squats, 20 press ups)

Sat 1:30 turbo
10min EZ
5*(1:30 EZ, 30s on)
3*(12min 270W+, 5min EZ)
20*(20s 110RPM+, 20s EZ)
Balance EZ

Sun 1:26 hill run
Railway-Garryhoe-Mangans Wood-Tinahely hilly loop
It was a real slog heading up Garryhoe hill, and sloppy across the trails. New shoe (Speedcross Vario2) performed well but I lost one in mud on the hour mark.

Thoughts are turning to next years races- I'm going to keep things short, so Sprint and Oly will be the staple We bought a campervan so will travel to overnight races as much as possible. I've always been envious of those who park their vans overnight at race carparks, seems like a great way to enjoy the whole race experience.
Looking at the NC Aquathon as a big target- its early in the year in Lough Cutra, a venue I really like. Also considering the ITU Aquathon Champs which is in Amsterdam in September. The young lad will be at this too, he's getting better all the time and although it's also his Leaving Cert year I expect further progress next summer and the ITU Aquathon will be a big goal.
(3) thanks from:
02-12-2019, 17:55   #4
ray o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Godel. View Post
We bought a campervan
Pictures please!
02-12-2019, 21:38   #5
Kurt_Godel.

Mon 40min swim; 35min easy run

1,050 straight (1:49 pace)
3*(5*50 off 60s, 100m EZ)

This was slightly faster than last week, although I'm still slow and slowing during the sets of 50's. Par for the course and it should pick up as I rack up the training.
Entries have opened for the Masters LC gala in Limerick next March- I've entered the 1,500 so far and will need to target this aggressively in the months leading up.

Later an easy recovery pace torchlit run in the forest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray o View Post
Pictures please!
Its a Chausson 514- small, but its got a huge boot for bikes, wetsuits, gear etc. Or deck chairs and fishing rods for a few years down the line!
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
02-12-2019, 23:29   #6
griffin100

Thanks for the heads up on the Limerick Masters. Entered the 1,500m myself.
Thanks from:
04-12-2019, 19:08   #7
Kurt_Godel.

Tue 20min Fastlane; 45min S&C; 1:16min turbo; 30min easy run

Turbo:
10min ez->build
5*(30s @ 400W, 1:30 EZ)
3*(15min build 200->300W, 5min EZ)

Felt good for this turbo, but I crammed too much into the day. The S&C were missed on Monday and I should know by now you don't catch up with missed sessions. The run later was very easy but overall too much in the day, and that will effect tomorrow.

Wed 57min progression run
Plan: 20min EZ, 20min build, 20min steady

The legs were bunched, it was going up the first hill that did me in. Think I may still have Sunday's hills in them (and a heavier-than-usual training load since). Sure enough, I was tired for this after trying to make up for missed sessions. Something to bear in mind at this early stage in the training cycle.
08-12-2019, 16:28   #8
Kurt_Godel.

Thurs 20min Fastlane; 40min turbo; 30 min easy run
Turbo:
10min warmup
5*(30s 500W+, 1:30 EZ)
5*(60s 400W+, 2:00 EZ)
5min cooldown

My swimming form was all over the place in the morning. This turbo was better, pushing hard where prescribed.

Fri 20min easy Fastlane; 30min treadmill progressive run
Treadmill:
10min @ 10km/h
5min @ 12km/h
10min @ 14km/h
5min @ 12km/h

Swim form was a little better, and a decent use of the treadmill later.

Sat 14k progression run; 20mins Fastlane
Progression Run:
30min EZ
30min dial it up
10min fast
5min warmdown

Beautiful sunrise over the sea around Courtown. I had chatting company which was welcome for the first 30mins before I took off myself and gradually increased the effort. Happy enough with this run and its always fantastic to run from the dark through to daybreak.

Sun 120min turbo; 30min easy run
Turbo:
10min warmup
5*(30s 400W+, 1:30 EZ)
6*(10min hold 280W, 5min EZ)
10min cooldown

Found this one tough- mentally as well as physically. It was tempting to bail after the fourth rep, but I toughened the whole thing out and I suppose thats good practice. This was the hardest turbo I've done in a while, certainly the hardest mentally.
Later a very easy recovery run to round off a successful week.
(2) thanks from:
16-12-2019, 19:09   #9
Kurt_Godel.

DaySessionComment
Mon 9th Dec20min Fastlane; 45min S&C; 30min RunNothing special, just a day of easy/steady stuff
Tue45min turbo; 30min jogMain:4*(4min 260W+, 2min EZ)
Wed12k long intervalsBreathing was bad, the only limiter on this run around Roundwood lakes
Thurs20min Fastlane; 65min turbo; 30min jogMain: 4*(8min hold 270W+, 2min EZ)
Fri20min Fastlane; 30min easy jog 
Sat19k hilly runLong run over hills to pick up car in Gorey. New shoes (Asics GlideRide) seem very good on the flat, not so good on the uphills.
Sun5k jog 

Overall it was another consistent week, run volume is helping to shift the weight, bike is going well, and the swimming will begin in earnest after Xmas. For the moment consistency is king.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
23-12-2019, 16:28   #10
Kurt_Godel.

DaySessionComment
Mon 16th Dec30min Run 
Tue60min turbo; 30min jogMain: 4*(8min hold 280W+, 2min EZ)
Wed20min Fastlane; 30min jogLousy run, felt laboured in the wet and muck.
Thurs30min jog 
Fri30min easy jogHungover
Sat11k hilly runDecent Annagh trails
Sun7k run; 20min Fastlane 

Not a great week, busy with work stress and Xmas crap. At least I managed to get out and do something every day, although Fridays run was done at dawn, before I sobered up from the night before. I've a great big NY resolution staring me down, if I want to take competition seriously next year.

But that's for another post
Thanks from:
30-12-2019, 07:56   #11
Kurt_Godel.

DaySessionComment
Mon 23rd Dec20min Fastlane; 45min easy Run 
Tue33min jog 
Wed30min jog 
Thurs8k run 
Fri1:15 hill run Sloppy Annagh trails
Sat30min easy run 
Sun30min easy run 

I missed quite a few sessions (too many sessions of the other type!) but am pleased enough to have done something each day, given the week that was in it. Overall I had a good time catching up with family and friends, and something would have been amiss if I neglected that instead of neglecting training.

Having said that, I'm looking forward to the fresh start a new year can bring. I've had a solid couple of base months, weight has fallen (albeit from ridiculous levels), and ready to start the serious training.
Thanks from:
06-01-2020, 12:04   #12
Kurt_Godel.

DaySessionComment
Mon 30th Dec20min Fastlane; 40min turbo; 30min easy Runturbo 4*(4 mins 7-8 PE, 2min EZ)
Tue30min steady run4.44/km av, fastest in a while
Wedrest 
Thursrest 
Fri20min Fastlane
Sat60min hill run 
Sun2:10 easy turbo 

I dragged myself out for the last couple of Dec runs to complete the 31day streak- NYE was with a pounding headache as I drained the house of any booze the evening before... it still ended up the fastest run of the month though which tells you something about my catholic guilt complex! Then another couple days partying in Cavan before getting back into things.

I like the fresh start a New Year can bring, and will grasp it this year. My running and biking are in a solid place starting off the years training, although my swimming has been neglected. I think in previous years swimming took up too big a focus- I tried to be swim fit for galas and was burnt out come the try season- so Masters swimming only starts back for me this evening. Swim fitness will come back quickly enough, and I'm looking forward to swimming and progressing with the gang again. Think I'll have dropped down a lane or two though!
07-01-2020, 14:43   #13
pgibbo

Send a message via MSN to pgibbo
Happy New Year. Good to see you back logging.

P.
Thanks from:
08-01-2020, 15:58   #14
Kurt_Godel.

Mon 6.15k run; 60 min Masters
Run: 10min EZ, 10min steady, 10min build
Paces are getting faster and form is feeling more comfortable, happy enough with how the running is progressing although there is still a lot of weight to drop before I feel comfortable during runs.

Swim:
400 WU
Main *4
{4*100 off 1:40
2*(25k, 25dr, 25sw)
2*50 hard}
6*25 hypoxic
This was first time back in the pool for a while, and the first time with a gang in ages. Loved it. The first couple of sets went well, then I started to cramp and tire and sat out the odd 50. But happy with this as a start of swim set training.

Tue: 64min turbo; 30min easy run
Turbo: Main: 5*(5min build to 260W, 3min EZ)

Wed: 25min Fastlane; 1:30 run
Fastlane: 10min steady, then 10*100 descending pace.

Run: Hill repeats
10min EZ
20*(40s uphill PE6-8, jog back down)
15min build
5min steady
10min 4:40/4:20pace
2min EZ
Toughest session I've done in a while, I was ready to bail after 3 of the hill repeats but thankfully stuck it out. The half hour that followed wasn't especially welcome either

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgibbo View Post
Happy New Year. Good to see you back logging.

P.
And the very same to you! Hopefully catch up at a couple of races over the summer- should be a good race season for you now that you're a fully fledged fish!
Thanks from:
09-01-2020, 19:00   #15
BTH

Quote:

And the very same to you! Hopefully catch up at a couple of races over the summer- should be a good race season for you now that you're a fully fledged fish!
Whoa, when did Paul become a fish?? I'll have no hope catching him this year

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion