Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed of rain?

Options
  • 24-04-2008 4:52pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone

Did you ever ring someone who isn't far away from you and they tell you it's lashing whereas it's not raining where you are, although it probably will be a few minutes after the call? Well that happened today, and I was wondering...

How fast does rain travel (on average) from one point to another?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Hi everyone

Did you ever ring someone who isn't far away from you and they tell you it's lashing whereas it's not raining where you are, although it probably will be a few minutes after the call? Well that happened today, and I was wondering...

How fast does rain travel (on average) from one point to another?

I think its all about the wind speed at the clouds height

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

I think its all about the wind speed at the clouds height
    Yeah that would sum it up.
    Mid to upper level winds dictate how fast rain would move from one place to the next.
    Eg:It can be flat calm at seal level while at 1500m it could be 30mph.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Ever out-run a shower? I remember doing it one day coming home from the school as a kid. Legged it ahead of a "wall" of hailstones. It got me running up the driveway though :(

Advertisement