Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmacnoise Stone Circle

Options
  • 23-06-2009 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi all,

Myself and my wife went to Clonmacnoise last Sunday for the day and saw something we didn't expect.

Behind the new outdoor altar where the last Pope gave a sermon is a stone circle. It's behind a small wall and outside the boundaries of Clonmacnoise itself. It looks old to me but i'm no expert.

We tried to look it up when we got home but can find no reference to it at all, so I was hoping some one here could shed some light.

http://picasaweb.google.com/joedotdunne/Clonmacnoise#5349827056531920050

Thanks very much
    Joe

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

Thanks very much for the picture:-)

COOL! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Might not be a standing stone circle. That could be crannog. Basically what's left of a bronze age house.

It could be from much later also.

But there is nothing to stop it from being YOUR stone circle:P

I love finding little little magical places.

I wonder if you asked someone local if they would know??

Someone who lives around there .....there could be some local histiry i am sure they could tell you what it is or was???

Stone circle or remnants of something else??

I love it:p Its cool!

Hmm some detective work needed:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

There's a PDF floating around called the "World Heritage site Managment Plan"
    for Clonmacnoise. Part of it being designated as a world heritage site. Unlike the the Tara Skyrne Valley BTW.

Anyway have a look at that. Given the boggy ground in the area it is more than likely a Crannog site. Looking quickly at the plan I think it was discovered in 1965.

The locals will tell you it's a fairy fort of some ****e! Maybe that's what you want to hear though.

No i am simply saying we make our own sacred spaces:p

I agree with you logically it is too small really to be a stone circle.

But it does not make it any less of a great find.

And if people think of somewhere as a magical place that has a power in itself:P

Thanks for the info:-)

No i am simply saying we make our own sacred spaces:p

I agree with you logically it is too small really to be a stone circle.

But it does not make it any less of a great find.

And if people think of somewhere as a magical place that has a power in itself:P

I would not be surprised if it is actually much later in date than a crannog.....actually i asked someone who is from there.............he said he thought it was for holding sheep.

I resent the patronisation though.

Locals are not yokels they are people too!

I think it is great to discover the original purpose of something.........but that does not mean we cant give it our own.

And i dont think people would say it was a something it wasn't it is quite likely you would be told well we think its a crannog.

A crannog, a holding pen, something left by Aliens:-)! is still a great find and it is quite possible if you asked a local you might be told well its a site discovered in 65 ..........

I personally am sticking with my Alien theory....but then i have a low boredom threshold ..........................it might be my issue.

Hmmm crannog you say hmmm interesting...............how big were these little crannog people then:-) LOL:-)???

LOL:-)Sorry studio rat .It has been a very strange week!

I am always glad to know the history of a place and we should be sceptical of course and historical accuracy is important and a gift..........but i want to know the BULLCRAP too becasue it is interesting .........and i embrace my flakey dippy side........it is important to me.

Although i understand it might irrate people ..........normal well adjusted in the real world people.

But there you go:-)
    THANKS FOR THE INFO STUDIORAT ! yes it is interesting to have historical accuracy .....ya big grown up ya;-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement