Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Environmental effects of Farming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Das Reich wrote: »
    So do you remember the big fire in 2010 on Bananal Island? Or the 1998 fire that Brazil had to employ more than 1.000 men to fight it. How is it only the last days people got worried about it, before Bolsonaro no one even know which continent Brazil is. And what you have to say about those fires in Spain and Portugal that every year burn thousands of hectares? Lets make some sanctions against them.

I'm a bit suspicious of all the coverage it's been getting. Number of fires is up but overall fire activity is not up, similar to the 5 year average.
    The majority of it seems to be in the rondonia region which is where the forests are transitioning into grassland/Savannah. It's a different type of climate and land type compared to what most of us think of when we hear rainforest.
    How much of this could be reclearing areas that had scrub encroaching versus actual never previously touched forest would be interesting to know

• Registered Users Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

I'm a bit suspicious of all the coverage it's been getting. Number of fires is up but overall fire activity is not up, similar to the 5 year average.
    The majority of it seems to be in the rondonia region which is where the forests are transitioning into grassland/Savannah. It's a different type of climate and land type compared to what most of us think of when we hear rainforest.
    How much of this could be reclearing areas that had scrub encroaching versus actual never previously touched forest would be interesting to know

https://twitter.com/StaLuziaEsteio/status/1164728888385257475?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

As Ardal O Hanlon said this morning on radio 1 if Donald Trump came out this morning and said "I'm misogynist and racist". Nobody would believe him.

That same Twitter poster Dawg that you posted there has thousands of acres and even tweeted from a cowboy rally cheering on Bolsonaro. Not exactly impartial.

Meanwhile the tweets go on....

https://twitter.com/gfse7en/status/1164819897878110208?s=20

Bolsonaro has declared that NGO's have deliberately started the fires to make him look bad.

As Ardal O Hanlon said this morning on radio 1 if Donald Trump came out this morning and said "I'm misogynist and racist". Nobody would believe him.

That same Twitter poster Dawg that you posted there has thousands of acres and even tweeted from a cowboy rally cheering on Bolsonaro. Not exactly impartial.

Bolsonaro has declared that NGO's have deliberately started the fires to make him look bad.

How many of those fires are actually burning vegetation?
    Of the fires burning vegetation, how many are being used to keep scrub under control and maintain farmland and how much is actually being used to actively clear new land?
    They're the questions that must be answered, this could be getting driven by vegans to undermine beef further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Bolsonaro doesn't need any outside agencies to make him look bad, he can do it brilliantly well without any help at all.

• Advertisement

Of the fires burning vegetation, how many are being used to keep scrub under control and maintain farmland and how much is actually being used to actively clear new land?
    They're the questions that must be answered, this could be getting driven by vegans to undermine beef further.

I know as much as yourself Sam.

Couldn't care less about the vegan element. If it means scrapping the Mercosur deal and putting sanctions and giving beef and tillage in this country a few more years breathing space then let it roll. Bolsonaro brought it upon himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭emaherx

If it can cause a daytime blackout in a city thousands of kilometers away I think it's safe to say it's an environmental disaster no matter which way you look at it.

I doubt there's any conspiracy Sam. Vegan or otherwise.
    It just is....Greed and stupidity.

https://twitter.com/NASA/status/1164302110244126720?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Das Reich wrote: »
    So do you remember the big fire in 2010 on Bananal Island? Or the 1998 fire that Brazil had to employ more than 1.000 men to fight it. How is it only the last days people got worried about it, before Bolsonaro no one even know which continent Brazil is. And what you have to say about those fires in Spain and Portugal that every year burn thousands of hectares? Lets make some sanctions against them.
    This ignorance is astounding.
    Brazil are having a state sponsored destruction of the rainforest, very different to accidental fires.

Literally Brazilian destruction has doubled in its rare since the current president took office he replaced ministers who pointed out that the destruction was wrong.

_Brian wrote: »
    This ignorance is astounding.
    Brazil are having a state sponsored destruction of the rainforest, very different to accidental fires.

Literally Brazilian destruction has doubled in its rare since the current president took office he replaced ministers who pointed out that the destruction was wrong.
    Not all the recorded fires are in the Amazon, it's the total in Brazil being quoted. Who knows whether its any worse than normal. The figures being thrown about in the media don't necessarily mean it's better, worse or different to normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

The land is mostly only put to grass after a few crops of soya. What colour meat uses lots of soya as its primary protein source?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Not all the recorded fires are in the Amazon, it's the total in Brazil being quoted. Who knows whether its any worse than normal. The figures being thrown about in the media don't necessarily mean it's better, worse or different to normal.

The rate of deforestation of the Amazon in Brazil is now at double the rate it was this time last year. This isn’t conjecture or rumours, it’s measured by satellite imagery which I believe is gathered and recorded by NASA.

They had advertments in the newspapers in Brazil announcing a day of burning of the forests in support of their President.

People can make excuses and ponder what might be happening but the actual measured destruction is there and has been recorded.

_Brian wrote: »
    The rate of deforestation of the Amazon in Brazil is now at double the rate it was this time last year. This isn’t conjecture or rumours, it’s measured by satellite imagery which I believe is gathered and recorded by NASA.

They had advertments in the newspapers in Brazil announcing a day of burning of the forests in support of their President.

People can make excuses and ponder what might be happening but the actual measured destruction is there and has been recorded.

Last years figures were well below the 5 year average, this year's a bit above it. Some of the pictures being circulated are of stubbles burning, go figure!

Yose you must be going to open a Brazilian shop!

I'd say we all know what the end game is here.
    Emmanuel Macron is going to have this discussed at the G7 talks. The G7 are the only ones who'd have a bit of plamas for anything environmental.

We're talking a task force going into to establish the world's first world natural park.
    The Brazilian States that were getting the aid from Germany and Norway are open to it as they said they'd deal directly with Germany and Norway instead of going through Bolsonaro. Watch this space.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,638 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Bolasanario and Brazilian beef create their own image problems for the industry, leaving aside the Vegan fringe. What Irish beef farmers need to do is to highlight the clear blue water between beef production in the EU and the stuff coming from Brazil

• Registered Users Posts: 13,292 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Last years figures were well below the 5 year average, this year's a bit above it. Some of the pictures being circulated are of stubbles burning, go figure!

There are cities in Brazil which are having periods dark as night from smoke, at midday, from fires burning as far away as Poland.

1700 miles.

emaherx wrote: »
    If it can cause a daytime blackout in a city thousands of kilometers away I think it's safe to say it's an environmental disaster no matter which way you look at it.

Very similar to what is happening to the Rainforests in Indonesia that are being cleared for Palm Oil production - smog regulary affects surrounding countries like Singapore and Bruni

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭greenfield21

A

He's also claimed that critisism of his policies by foriegn governments is "Imperialism" - a bit rich when you are encouraging the take over of Native Indian reservations in the Amazon by the beef mafia and other bandits

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Very similar to what is happening to the Rainforests in Indonesia that are being cleared for Palm Oil production - smog regulary affects surrounding countries like Singapore and Bruni

And I don't consider that any different either.

• Advertisement

Yose you must be going to open a Brazilian shop!

I'd say we all know what the end game is here.
    Emmanuel Macron is going to have this discussed at the G7 talks. The G7 are the only ones who'd have a bit of plamas for anything environmental.

We're talking a task force going into to establish the world's first world natural park.
    The Brazilian States that were getting the aid from Germany and Norway are open to it as they said they'd deal directly with Germany and Norway instead of going through Bolsonaro. Watch this space.

I don't doubt that there's issues that could be improved upon, but this sensationalism is very dangerous. It does nothing to solve any issues out there and when the media get bored. Who will they turn on next?

I don't doubt that there's issues that could be improved upon, but this sensationalism is very dangerous. It does nothing to solve any issues out there and when the media get bored. Who will they turn on next?

It's well founded sensationalism.

I don't know. They could turn on those midget people..

We'll see what happens after the G7 talks.
    It's more interesting than Boris anyways.

Not you, ..but seeing what those right wing Brazilian nut jobs are coming up with online is entertaining too.

Still don't have any issue with practices over there being highlighted, intentional fires of that magnitude are an environmental disaster. You really would wonder about people worrying about burps from grass fed cattle here when you see what's going on in the rest of the world.

We shouldn't be importing products produced in those regions be it meat or soy/grain based products.I would certainly have more respect for our governments speil about reducing our carbon footprint of their plans didn't just involve exporting our carbon footprint to countries with much higher footprints.

Meanwhile Bolsonaro is sending the military to the Amazonian regions to counter any decision which may arise from the G7 talks.

Ireland and France are the only EU countries at present to call for the Mercosur deal to be scrapped over the current destruction.

Was managing a few Peruvians in aus, good hard working people who had very little starting off in terms of money, education or job opportunities at home. It's not really acceptable to be forcing many of those people into emigrating to do our ****ty jobs when the large scale destruction is almost always driven by big business

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

Meanwhile Bolsonaro is sending the military to the Amazonian regions to counter any decision which may arise from the G7 talks.

Ireland and France are the only EU countries at present to call for the Mercosur deal to be scrapped over the current destruction.

Would love if this french provokation would end the occupation and colonialism of French Guiana. We need also to remember that the African countries that are still explored by France such as Mali or Niger, have the worst standard of living of the world. Years ago Burkina Faso tried to liberate from French neocolonialism and president Tankara died. French colonialism is the worst form of colonialism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

He might have to send them to Angola and the Congo first, more fires burning there than Brazil.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2019-08-23/more-fires-now-burning-in-angola-congo-than-amazon-maps?__twitter_impression=true

• Advertisement

He might have to send them to Angola and the Congo first, more fires burning there than Brazil.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2019-08-23/more-fires-now-burning-in-angola-congo-than-amazon-maps?__twitter_impression=true
    We're definitely phucked in this country now!! :eek:

Angolan and Congon beef and butter in SuperValu..
    Ah I wouldn't be too worried about them fellas over there. Diseases and guns means they never get their houses in order.
    As for Brazil however, it's amazing what can be achieved by a right wing leader promising the Sun, moon and stars for all/the few against a big bad world!!

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/24/opinions/global-emergency-in-the-amazon-salazar-lopez-allen/index.html

I still naively hope for this world first world natural park of the Amazon (not Brazil) takes hold in the imagination of the illuminati. Wouldn't that be some legacy.

Advertisement