Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making Use Of Myself

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

Well; I'm just stunned! Absolutely wiped out! My neighbour, Noel, has had what was an 1800's Granary completely refurbished to original condition!

It's absolutely the most heart breakingly beautiful thing I've ever seen. That's what the bat box is for. Wow! I'd be So proud, to be able to make a humble contribution to this breath taking project! I mean; This place should be a tourist attraction! It's like stepping back in time, in there! Absolutely fantastic! :)

And, of course; Dinny bullocks here forgot to take his bloody camera!!! :mad: I'm So pissed at myself! The wooden louvre's alone are enough to make ye weep! And they're there totally intended to let birds and bats get in! :D Isn't that brilliant?!

Anyway; In 'any other news'? I paid my man for the two, newly made, traps today. He's posting them on Monday. These are bird traps which he makes in the delightfully traditional way, using bike spokes for the bars, instead of wire mesh.

One's a bog standard " Trap Cage ". The other's a special slant. I'm afraid I'm not even willing to discuss that one. There are still plenty of people willing to take wild birds illegally. With this thing, properly deployed, they'd clean up! As it is; I'll be legally ringing a lot more chaffinches ;)

And, with that in mind? I've been preparing my fence posts. Got three of them. Soaked their feet in oil. Now, I'm lashing on the green Fence Guard. Not really got my head around building the gate, yet. But, once I get it all done? That patch outside the back door will be my Dog proofed little catching garden :)

Had a nice little session, with my latest, home made trap, yesterday. Took ~ I think it was ~ eight birds? So, today, I gave us all a rest. Put the bait down, but not the trap. Really lovely to stand, in plain sight, in my doorway. Watching the two Collared Doves, hacking away at the seed, not in the least bit bothered by my presence.

I brought them here too! Whole purpose of that bait point was to lure Collared Doves to where I'd never seen one before. Bloody worked! :D

This is " Evil Little Dog ". That's her real name:

Evil-Little-Dog.jpg

Evil Little Dog can't be contained, obviously. But, to her credit, she has absolutely zero interest in even a bird, fluttering in one of my traps. No, Evil Little Dog sees only rats, pine martens and the dead.

And, for the last four days now, Evil Little Dog has been returning from her adventures letting off such a vile and overpowering stench ~ so all pervading that it took me two or three of those days to even pin it to her!

Because it was filling the cottage, see? I was walking around feeling nauseous from it! I was seriously starting to have thoughts of moving out till it went away! That bad.

Well, anyway; Yesterday, I think it was, Evil Little Dog came in wringing wet. She'd obviously been hunting for rats in the long grass around the stables. What ever. She was wet and her fur was gleaming white, where it's white anyway.

And, I realised, the bang was gone :) Obviously then, Evil Little Dog had been communing with the dead, shoulder first, as Dogs are want to do. But, now, her transient friend must have passed on to a state less fascinating. And the wet grass had cleansed Evil Little Dog. All was good.

Then, last night, I let all the Dogs out for a last muster. They all came back in, in quick time, except for Ellie. She's abjectly fascinated with rats too. She'll spend hours by the ditch fence, presumably listening to them in the hedge beyond.

But, tonight she was stood staring toward the back gate. No matter. I gently spoke her name. Nothing. I called her. She never even looked back!

I Snapped at her. Making my annoyance plain. Then, losing it completely, I Roared at her, before marching swiftly out there and pushing her bum, screaming at her to Get In!!!

I've never before seen such bad behaviour from her before! Rats or no rats, she wasn't standing out there all night with them.

Cut to this morning. Door open and Ellie Belly's back on point, at the back gate. I don't care about that as my mind's on my Signal Box out there. I want to tweak it.

So, I'm just kneeling down, beside Ellie. About to look at the trap, when Balzac, one of my big Dogs, comes bounding up and shoves his big, flat muzzle right in my ear, for a sniff of my brain.

I turn my face toward his and say; " Balzac! Get out of it! Christ! Ye breath smells!!! "

And then, as if to the sound of many great doors, slamming shut along a long and empty passageway, it all fell into place!

I hot footed it straight out of Dodge. Left Ellie to stare fixedly at the back fence as me, and Balzac of the Breath bolted.

Nothing wrong with his breath, of course. Just a gentle twist in the breeze. And, there's no way I'm looking over that fence. I don't need to see what ever's left now, of Evil Little Dogs one time friend :eek:

Eddie B wrote: »
    What were the chances of that eh! Dying to know what was hanging on his wall. I'd guess, some sort of a collectors item?

Sorry! I'd somehow missed that completely :o Dinky little ferret box, mate :)

Stigura wrote: »
    Game On!!! :cool:

P9220420tn.jpg

And, on the tenth day ..... :cool:

Mod Note: <snip>

Mod:<<Snip>>

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Mod: Stigura, just a reminder that no disputing Mod's decisions on thread is allowed. Link or no link, that sort of image is not fit for a nature and wildlife forum - what next, a roadkill thread? Also, Mods can read threads, too, with or without the posts being reported.

Advertisement