Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Number26/N26 Mastercard/Account now for Irish Residents

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

When did you verify your id? I did it last Friday, but didn't really expect it to be here this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

I verified my ID on the 7th and received the card on the 14th.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭elmoslats

Frynge wrote: »
    When did you verify your id? I did it last Friday, but didn't really expect it to be here this week.

Registered on the 5th, got it on the 14th

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Delta2113

They have dropped the Credit Card naming and now just using MasterCard on the website. They seem to be listening to their customers.

Nice app update thursday - 2016 should be interesting - days of FREE banking are here to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Delta2113 wrote: »
    They have dropped the Credit Card naming and now just using MasterCard on the website. They seem to be listening to their customers.

Nice app update thursday - 2016 should be interesting - days of FREE banking are here to stay.

Yes the .eu pages have now mastercard but the .de page and the German version continues with the old way.

In Germany they also introduced a Masestro card for the account because a lot of German shops still don't take Credit Cards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Harika

I was wondering how would I pay a large sum from this account? Like when I bought my car here, I got a bank draft at my bank and payed the car this way. And from the homepage it seems Number26 don't do them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Harika wrote: »
    I was wondering how would I pay a large sum from this account? Like when I bought my car here, I got a bank draft at my bank and payed the car this way. And from the homepage it seems Number26 don't do them now.

Good question! I never thought of this before. It would really be a problem for me too when buying a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

There's no mention of any transfer limits in their FAQs that I can see, but I'd imagine there is one

You can totally manage without having an Irish Bank Current A/c with having a Number26 account provided you don't need a cheque book or you need the 'cashback' facility.

In my opinion you still need an Irish demand or savings account. I still have a BOI savings account which gives me full FREE access to 365 online. I can do everything except for setting up direct debits or standing orders and of course no cheque book or debit card but i use it to still receive my wages (if its not broke(still free) don't try fixing it).

My local BOI has a LATM so i can lodge cheques 24/7. I also have a PTSB current a/c because I still need the odd cheque.

Everything is FREE and the mix and match works well.

It's incredible that theirs still no mention of Number26 or Revolut on the Money Guide Ireland website.

http://compare.consumerhelp.ie/CurrentAccount no mention here about Number26 but i suppose the excuse is that they are not Irish.

That excuse wont wash with Money Guide Ireland if that's the reason. I reckon it's a commercial reason they wont promote Revolut or Number 26 but that's pure speculation on my part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭JTMan

It's incredible that theirs still no mention of Number26 or Revolut on the Money Guide Ireland website.

http://compare.consumerhelp.ie/CurrentAccount no mention here about Number26 but i suppose the excuse is that they are not Irish.

I have emailed the NCA about the lack of Number26 on their price comparison for current accounts. I got a waffle answer back. Hopefully, more people contact the NCA to get Number26 added.

I have also email the Sunday Times trying to get Number26 added to their price comparison. They have not added it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

Anyone come across any reasons not to use this yet?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Anyone come across any reasons not to use this yet?
    • No windows phone or blackberry app
    • No cash or cheque lodgements
    • No cash back
    • No chequebooks
    • No physical branches
    • No overdraft
    • Some companies don't seem to like using a German IBAN and BIC for direct debits
    • Being a German company, English customer support might be limited

That seems to be about it. None of them, apart from the platform support if you need it, are major deal breakers but some of them could be annoying not to have. Their app is way ahead of anything on the Irish market currently so it might be worth giving up the above for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

Thank you, AlmightyCushion!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

• No windows phone or blackberry app
    • No cash or cheque lodgements
    • No cash back
    • No chequebooks
    • No physical branches
    • No overdraft
    • Some companies don't seem to like using a German IBAN and BIC for direct debits
    • Being a German company, English customer support might be limited

That seems to be about it. None of them, apart from the platform support if you need it, are major deal breakers but some of them could be annoying not to have. Their app is way ahead of anything on the Irish market currently so it might be worth giving up the above for it.

I got a notification that they are now supporting maestro in Germany. :)

I would imagine that the list of issues there will be shortly resolved for Irish customers. Blackberry and windows are not widely used, so they are probably focusing on their biggest market potential before expanding. At least that is how a lot of companies I know approach windows and blackberry. Blackberry is practically dead in terms of market share, we killed all our blackberry apps this year where I work.

Cash back and lodging cash is available at the leading supermarkets here in Germany, they probably just need to get deals in place in Ireland.

Don't know about cheques, are they still used? A lot of German banks wouldn't know what to do with one and those that do require a very large fee for processing. I doubt this will ever be supported, I haven't seen a cheque in about 15 years.

Overdrafts are now available, or at least they are in Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Could you sideload the App to work on BB?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

A good reason to have a credit union account in tandem with this. Credit unions do free cheques when you need them. You can just wire the money from your Number26 account to your credit union account.

Also, you can lodge cash/cheques to your Number26 account via your credit union. All the major credit unions offer online banking.

Tried to pay con tactless but it said "Invalid card" :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Have you paid with chip and pin first?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

You can't use the contactless unless you first have done a CHIP+PIN transaction.

Here the best way:

a.) First go to an ATM withdraw some cash to get the PIN written to the CHIP.
    b.) Make a CHIP+PIN transaction

Hope that helps.

• Advertisement

You can't use the contactless unless you first have done a CHIP+PIN transaction.

Here the best way:

a.) First go to an ATM withdraw some cash to get the PIN written to the CHIP.
    b.) Make a CHIP+PIN transaction

Hope that helps.

I tried that yesterday, went in the morning to an ATM and in the evening tried to pay contact less, but still not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

I tried that yesterday, went in the morning to an ATM and in the evening tried to pay contact less, but still not working.

That's because you only carried out step a.

Okay, I seem to have misunderstood something, I paid with the card online before, or what would be a chip +pin transaction?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Okay, I seem to have misunderstood something, I paid with the card online before, or what would be a chip +pin transaction?

Chip and PIN would apply where you place your card in a point of sale terminal (that connects to the chip) and enter your PIN for verification.

An online transaction involves neither chip nor PIN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Go to an ATM and try withdraw more Cash than you have available. You'll get an insufficient funds message and push notification on your phone, but that seemed to work for me to activate the Chip & PIN.

Or as above just withdraw €20 or whatever.

You must do a POS in a shop,pub etc. - it says this on the cardboard card you get with the actual card.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Savman wrote: »
    Go to an ATM and try withdraw more Cash than you have available. You'll get an insufficient funds message and push notification on your phone, but that seemed to work for me to activate the Chip & PIN.

Or as above just withdraw €20 or whatever.

What I did was disable ATM transactions - lets you put chip and pin in but when you attempt to withdraw it declines the transaction and you get a push notification.

Walked up to the counter and used NFC immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

- Cashback - €100 per Debit Card Transaction (max of €300 within a 24 hour period)

- Cashback is not available for Contactless transactions.

Cashback is nice to have but not the end of the world without it.

So there is cashback ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭dohouch

Anybody else having problem with ATM withdrawals? (BOI)

Anybody know why the ATM after accepting my PIN and offering the "Withdrawal Options then says "You have accessed an invalid account".
    This has happened about 5 times over the last week since getting the card (BOI ATM )
    Have emailed Number26 , but they have a 3 day waiting time for replies.

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Advertisement

dolallyoh wrote: »
    So there is cashback ?

- No not with Number26

Advertisement