Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do they build the retaining walls for really deep excavations

Options
  • 04-05-2019 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,086 ✭✭✭✭

Question for civil/construction engineers

This video came up in my youtube feed. Had a look at it.

Question I want to ask is how/when do they put in those retaining walls around the hole

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Or secant pile it and excavate (which actually looks like what they did there)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Donald, I thought you'd already be expert at building walls? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,272 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Typically circular bores are augured out along the line of excavation to required depth, these are filled with reinforced concrete and process repeated til a complete wall is created.
    It's a bit more complex than that requiring accurate position with interlocking bores etc but that is the basics of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,086 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Donald, I thought you'd already be expert at building walls? ;)

I only build them up, not down.

But I have recently discovered that Mexicans own both ladders and spades! Crafty little divils so they are

One of these really deep jobs would soften their coughs fairly lively :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,086 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

mickdw wrote: »
    Typically circular bores are augured out along the line of excavation to required depth, these are filled with reinforced concrete and process repeated til a complete wall is created.
    It's a bit more complex than that requiring accurate position with interlocking bores etc but that is the basics of it.

I saw a video online after the other fella mentioned secant bores. I have seen those "rounded" walls on various sites in the past. The one above is deeper though and then it also looks smooth so I thought there still might be something more.

For the one where they dig the big piles, it must be fairly difficult to line them up? If you are going 100 foot deep, then to be exact at the bottom of that (i.e. parallel to the adjacent pile) must be extremely difficult. And surely they must then link the piles together for strength? Else you just have a heap of individual 100 foot high columns. Maybe they just attach them in to the soil/rock as they go down digging out the actual hole?

Advertisement