Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Increasing the load bearing ability of joists

Options
  • 11-05-2019 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Apologies for the terrible title.
    I have a room which is 20ft long with 21ft joist running the lenght of it. At 10ft I have a steel beam to split the weight of the floor above it. I want to move this beam to where it's sitting at 13ft from one end of the beam to the other.
    The beams are 6x2 on 16inch centres which I don't think is enough to carry the weight.
    My question is if I run another 6x2 along side the other joists will this spread the load enough.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Has this been built already? If so, what does the beam bear on? A column? Concrete pad?
    seannash wrote: »
    I want to move this beam to where it's sitting at 13ft from one end of the beam to the other.
    Do you mean you want the beam 7 feet from one end of the room and 13 feet from the other? If so, 6x2 sounds light for floor joists.

Increasing depth may be more important than increasing number. However, that may involve messing with stair tread height, etc.

Talk to an engineer.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

As per forum charter. Structural advise is not allowed.thread closed

Advertisement