Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car warranty - which is really the best deal?

• 22-01-2019 10:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭

I found this article on the best car warranties in terms of longevity and mileage.

Fair enough.

The article also points out that, in order to maintain the warranty over the warranty period, you are required to have the car serviced by an authorised dealer at correct intervals.

Also, fair enough.

So, my question is this...

Given that you will have to pay main-dealer service charges to maintain your warranty (rather than paying your local mechanic) which car marker offers the best value over the warranty period in this respect?

I would assume, for example, that a basic service at a Mercedes/Audi dealer is going to cost more than, say, a Hyundai dealer. So, I guess I'm really asking who amongst the cheaper brands offers the lowest price service and the widest service intervals?

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Now there's a can of worms :pac:

To be fair, I think Hyundais is one of the best for coverage, its the longest time frame with no mileage stipulation, you can just drive and drive and drive. All above that have mileage stipulations and to be fair, you won't see 100-150k kms rolling around. Sure you might as well give a 20 year warranty if you are going to cap it at 150k kms when an above average mileage driver could clock that up in 2 -3 years.

You don't have to service at the dealer to maintain warranty cover, you can service anywhere (once you get an itemised receipt and the workshop is VAT registered). There's not many reasons not to dealer service anymore though, at least for the basics anyway, there have been a number of threads recently which have gone to show that for menu service items (oil changes, timing belts, brakes etc) that dealer prices are much more in line than they used to be.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057946846
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057945270

An important consideration with that is "goodwill". With a franchised service history, if you need goodwill, those (generally more established) manufacturers with shorter warranties are much more likely to come to the table with goodwill if you have a service history with their franchise network. For example VAG group offer three years/ 90k kms warranty cover but will entertain goodwill up to 6-7 years of age with a franchise service history. So spending an extra €20 for the oil service with them once a year may be worth it if you end up potentially carrying the can for a big repair in year 5 or 6.

On the flip side of that, some of the manufacturers offering longer warranties just don't get involved with goodwill. The likes of Hyundai/ Kia for example. If the gearbox in your Santa Fe gives up the ghost after 5 years and 1 day, they do not want to know, main dealer history of not. Similarly, Renault, you get your 5 years and when we are done, we're done.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057943903

I think some of the longer standing (and for some reason, German) brands are much better at trying to promote long term brand loyalty and show they value repeat custom. VAG group, BMW, Mercedes etc all have 2/ 3 year warranty offerings but have structured facilities in place for goodwill to the customer up to 10 years of age on a case by case basis. Then you see Hyundai Kia/ Mitsi/ Renault with their longer warranties which are attractive on day one but once the sale number is on the board, what happens to you isn't too much their concern and when your time's up, your time's up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Great reply thanks.

One more question...

Does the fact that we're in an era of leasing rather than buying change anything?

In other words, with interest rates as they are, many people are paying a lump sum and monthly repayments, rather than buying.

They then change car in 3/4 years - i.e. while it's still in warranty - and "rent" another new one. So, they're always within warranty.

Does this have any influence on which brand you might go with?

Finally, can you please clarify what you mean by "goodwill", or at least how it operates in practice?

E.g. If I'm driving an Audi with a three year warranty and it has been serviced by then for the three years, and in the fourth year the gearbox fails, how does goodwill apply?

Thanks.

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If you’re planning on changing regularly, then a car with better resalability might work out cheaper than a cheaper but less popular model.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Dinarius wrote: »

Finally, can you please clarify what you mean by "goodwill", or at least how it operates in practice?

E.g. If I'm driving an Audi with a three year warranty and it has been serviced by then for the three years, and in the fourth year the gearbox fails, how does goodwill apply?

Thanks.

D.

Ill answer this for you from my experience.

Id probably describe goodwill as "an extended warranty for a loyal customer who has kept their vehicle within the manufacturers network for servicing and repairs."

Take your example above. Its been in a main dealer for all its servicing and repairs and the gearbox packs up 6 months outside of the warranty period. VW would probably offer a decent amount of goodwill on the repair--it could be on a 50 / 50 basis ie you pay the 50% of the repair price and in some instances Ive seen complete repairs being covered fully.

Then you have the flip side of that--Someone whos car has never seen the inside of the franchises workshop since it was sold. Never serviced,never had a health check and it packs up. The manufacturer wont touch it. And from experience these are the people that shout the loudest.

The franchise Im in at the minute are very very good at goodwill coverage for customers with full histories...they'll wipe their hands of a car that's never been in the network.

Personally Id always advise someone to get a car serviced while its inside the warranty period in one of the manufacturers dealers. Yep it may cost a bit extra but honestly its well worth the paying the extra especially when it comes to goodwill after the warranty has expired.

Advertisement