Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking for a new car

Options
  • 20-01-2019 11:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭

Well folks.

Currently driving a 2010, 1.0 litre Nissan Pixo. Good wee car but I would like to upgrade to something more comfortable. I've passed my driving test 2 years in March which means my N plates will be coming off. I did always say, that I'd keep my Pixo until I got rid of the N plates at least. Recently, had the Pixo in a garage for some work and the garage man said that it's a very soft car, his exact words were 'I wouldn't like to be in an accident with that car'. Therefore, I think it may be wise to swap to something stronger God forbid, I ever am involved in one.

My question is any suggestions on whether I should try and buy an affordable brand new car and avail of scrappage (Saves the hassle of selling the Pixo) or just go for a used car? I'm a single male (25) so a hatchback would suit perfect. I'd just like something that makes longer journeys more comfortable as my Pixo is very basic.
    I've always said I wanted a VW Golf but not sure if I should go for it cos they are expensive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Well folks.

Currently driving a 2010, 1.0 litre Nissan Pixo. Good wee car but I would like to upgrade to something more comfortable. I've passed my driving test 2 years in March which means my N plates will be coming off. I did always say, that I'd keep my Pixo until I got rid of the N plates at least. Recently, had the Pixo in a garage for some work and the garage man said that it's a very soft car, his exact words were 'I wouldn't like to be in an accident with that car'. Therefore, I think it may be wise to swap to something stronger God forbid, I ever am involved in one.

My question is any suggestions on whether I should try and buy an affordable brand new car and avail of scrappage (Saves the hassle of selling the Pixo) or just go for a used car? I'm a single male (25) so a hatchback would suit perfect. I'd just like something that makes longer journeys more comfortable as my Pixo is very basic.
    I've always said I wanted a VW Golf but not sure if I should go for it cos they are expensive.

You will pay the same whether you have something to scrap or not

Seat ibiza are very good value second hand, brother in law and his wife got a demo recently, very nice finish to them IMO

Seat tend to offer low interest finance too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

My mother and my other half both have 1 series BMW's, a 142 and a 151 with auto boxes. We do a lot of our long journeys in her car and it is a very comfortable car to drive as well as be a passenger in. Both have been pretty reliable save for some electrical gremlins in the 142 but the 151 comes with newer software so hasn't given any issues. I'd reccommend one over a Golf or Audi A3.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2016-bmw-1-series-118i-1-5-petrol-from-70pw/20357913

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Ning

How many km do you travel daily? Have you considered a second hand electric like a Zoe/Leaf?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There’s a lot of middle ground between a Pixo and a new car like a Fiesta/Polo etc. Any 5 year old mainstream supermini (Polo/Fiesta/Ibiza/Yaris/Fabia/208/Clio etc) will be in a different league to the Pixo (which is a rebadged Indian market Suzuki) without having to spend €15-20k

Knowing your mileage and driving style would help put you in the right direction. I've driven the old model fiesta a good bit, a 142 model, and they are a fine car but i would still come up another level from that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Red Lightning

Mad_maxx wrote:
    You will pay the same whether you have something to scrap or not

But like don't some dealers give €4000 for scrappage? I won't get that for my Pixo.

Ning wrote:
    How many km do you travel daily? Have you considered a second hand electric like a Zoe/Leaf?

Knowing your mileage and driving style would help put you in the right direction. I've driven the old model fiesta a good bit, a 142 model, and they are a fine car but i would still come up another level from that.

I don't have much travel to work but I'm in rural Ireland so a few 40 mins journeys to towns now and again and would like a car that makes longer journeys more comfortable.

My mother and my other half both have 1 series BMW's, a 142 and a 151 with auto boxes. We do a lot of our long journeys in her car and it is a very comfortable car to drive as well as be a passenger in. Both have been pretty reliable save for some electrical gremlins in the 142 but the 151 comes with newer software so hasn't given any issues. I'd reccommend one over a Golf or Audi A3.

Thanks for the recommendation

• Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That scrappag scheme is another word for discount and it comes from the manufacturer. A 9 year old Pixo as you said is not worth 4k as you say and neither is it worth that much to a dealer. Just remember that 4k is the max scrappage discount so that will most likely apply only to the more expensive models so in order to get more you have to spend more. Are you in the market for a brand new car or just attracted by the 4k scrappage value?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

But like don't some dealers give €4000 for scrappage? I won't get that for my Pixo.

Let me put it this way

If the new car is 20k with your car scrapped, it's also 20k with you walking to the dealership and simply handing over 20 k and you selling the paxo for a few grand privately

• Advertisement

Mad_maxx wrote:
    If the new car is 20k with your car scrapped, it's also 20k with you walking to the dealership and simply handing over 20 k and you selling the paxo for a few grand privately

I know that but Im thinking I may get more scrapping than selling.

Would you not spend €10k on a decent used car? €10k left in your pocket is a very nice thing to have when in your mid twenties when buying a house or going travelling is possibly on the horizon.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2011-lexus-ct200h-hybrid-automatic/20826776

Something like this would give you a nice comfortable car that looks well as well being good on juice.

Would you not spend €10k on a decent used car? €10k left in your pocket is a very nice thing to have when in your mid twenties when buying a house or going travelling is possibly on the horizon.

Very true.

Advertisement