Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW n47 fuel injector lifespan?

• 25-11-2020 10:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭

Just a query, what the life expectancy of the fuel injectors on a BMW F10 with the n47 engine.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭Bmw123d

mikeecho wrote: »
    Just a query, what the life expectancy of the fuel injectors on a BMW F10 with the n47 engine.

I’ve seen quite afew of these injectors being taken in and out of engines when rebuilding engines after timing chain snapping etc. To be honest I haven’t seen them give much trouble with up to 100000km on the clocks but I have also had the odd one for what ever reason hear and there go. I’ve never had to replace or get all 4 overhauled in one go so it’s hard to put a time frame on it. But to be honest I think there quite a reliable injector.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Bmw123d wrote: »
    I’ve seen quite afew of these injectors being taken in and out of engines when rebuilding engines after timing chain snapping etc. To be honest I haven’t seen them give much trouble with up to 100000km on the clocks but I have also had the odd one for what ever reason hear and there go. I’ve never had to replace or get all 4 overhauled in one go so it’s hard to put a time frame on it. But to be honest I think there quite a reliable injector.

I'm currently touching 200,000km
    And I've had the car for the past 120,000km.
    As far as I know, it's still on the original injectors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭sumo12

I'm one step removed from this, but I don't recall the injectors giving much trouble in the N47 Avensis. Timing chains, on the other hand, are made of cheese

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

sumo12 wrote: »
    snip
    N47 Avensis.

snip

The OP is talking about the BMW N47 2.0 diesel engine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

route66 wrote: »

Which is used in the Avensis and Rav4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Bazzy wrote: »
    Which is used in the Avensis and Rav4

Didn't know that. Apologies - and to the OP - for being a smartass :o

route66 wrote: »

Erm.. same thing... BMW inflicted the lump of crap on unsuspecting Toyota owners in exchange for bulletproof Hybrid technology. I wonder who got the better deal? Toyota haven't been long about banishing it for ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

BMW didn't inflict anything on Toyota. Toyota mainly only sold diesel passenger cars in Europe and their own in house engines simply didn't meet the EU emissions test standards anymore at the time and they still needed a diesel engine to try competing in Europe. They struck a deal with BMW to supply BMW's old generation of N47 engines which still met the EU emission standards, in exchange for BMW access to their hybrid technology. BMW had almost replaced the N47 engines in their own cars at that stage anyway with the B47 engines. And Toyota didn't banish them because they knew better, they had a short term deal with BMW to supply them for a period of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭mikeecho

So, am I am looking at having to change out/ recon the injectors anytime soon?

Or am I good for another 100k ?

bazz26 wrote: »
    BMW didn't inflict anything on Toyota. Toyota mainly only sold diesel passenger cars in Europe and their own in house engines simply didn't meet the EU emissions test standards anymore at the time and they still needed a diesel engine to try competing in Europe. They struck a deal with BMW to supply BMW's old generation of N47 engines which still met the EU emission standards, in exchange for BMW access to their hybrid technology. BMW had almost replaced the N47 engines in their own cars at that stage anyway with the B47 engines. And Toyota didn't banish them because they knew better, they had a short term deal with BMW to supply them for a period of time.

You are 100% factually correct - but that's not the way Toyota customers saw it - and it certainly hastened the decision to end diesel passenger cars from the range. If Toyota still had a reliable, emission compliant diesel engine available, I'm sure they would still have diesel options in the passenger car range.

• Advertisement

Sorry for sidetracking your original question OP - in my opinion, yes you are all good! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

My missus has a 5 series with this engine, 470,000 odd km on the clock. Fairly certain it's got the original injectors. As it happens its a bit 'lumpy' on start up, but runs fine after a few mins. I often wondered was it an injector.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,320 ✭✭✭CoBo55

swarlb wrote: »
    My missus has a 5 series with this engine, 470,000 odd km on the clock. Fairly certain it's got the original injectors. As it happens its a bit 'lumpy' on start up, but runs fine after a few mins. I often wondered was it an injector.

Most likely a dead heater plug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Glowplugs/glowplug controller may need replacing.. If it was your injectors it would be lumpy all the time, not just when you start it..

Wetbench4 wrote: »
    Glowplugs/glowplug controller may need replacing.. If it was your injectors it would be lumpy all the time, not just when you start it..

I'll have them checked, thank you.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

The injectors should last a good length of time as long as the diesel you’re putting into it is of good quality and the vehicle is maintained very well. The injectors you have in yours are more than likely not recondition-able as the N47 engine has the Bosch Piezo injector in it - no legit or reputable repair to these.

I'll have them checked, thank you.

I said that to you earlier... Strange you didn't recognise or thank my post, that's boards for you.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    I said that to you earlier... Strange you didn't recognise or thank my post, that's boards for you.

You Ok hun?

I replied to the other poster simply because they also gave an explanation why it might not be an injector. It was not a reflection on your post.
    Is it a requirement on Boards now to reply to every suggestion by every poster ?

I replied to the other poster simply because they also gave an explanation why it might not be an injector. It was not a reflection on your post.
    Is it a requirement on Boards now to reply to every suggestion by every poster ?

No, just good manners, must have been the way I was reared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭cml387

What a strange short thread its been.

No, just good manners, must have been the way I was reared.

It must have been alright !

Advertisement