Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Microsoft 128 Surface Pad

• 06-06-2014 12:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭

See ibood.ie, looks good

Comments

For the price it seems too good to be true. It's €799 in pcworld.
    Should I get it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭mcw92

Its the original Surface Pro, the 1st gen one, theres been a Surface Pro 2, and a 3 coming out this month.
    Not much difference between 1 and 2 apart from the newer Haswell chip and integrated graphics.
    I would defo hold of until the 3 comes out though before purchasing one at full price or close to it.
    This seems a decent price though.

Should I get it?
    That the Surface Pro 2 in PC World

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,575 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Seems a very good price alright

TheDriver wrote: »
    Seems a very good price alright

If I didn't already have a windows tablet I'd definitely be tempted. They're a nice bit of kit. Although there should be a good price drop from surface pro 2 models in the next while seeing that 3 is coming out.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 433 ✭✭lolosaur

If I didn't already have a windows tablet I'd definitely be tempted. They're a nice bit of kit. Although there should be a good price drop from surface pro 2 models in the next while seeing that 3 is coming out.

How much would you pay for the 2?

If im right, there is a crap one called the RT which isnt worth a damn, then there is the surface2 pro which is the 799 one i think

How much would you reckon you should be paying for that?

Any isdea on the release date for the 3?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Damn you BA ... I've I buy more Computer stuff i'll have to start secret internetting in the toilet so my wife doesn't find out. :pac::pac::pac::pac:

lolosaur wrote: »
    How much would you pay for the 2?

If im right, there is a crap one called the RT which isnt worth a damn, then there is the surface2 pro which is the 799 one i think

How much would you reckon you should be paying for that?

Any isdea on the release date for the 3?

These all have Intel chips, which in turn means that they do not run RT so no need to even think about that. Surface Pro only runs full fat windows 8, no RT.

My bro has a surface pro 2 and it is a savage piece of kit. I have a Asus 10" Windows 8 tablet with an Atom processor and it's fantastic also. Very quick, incredible battery life and not in anyway slow. Have never had any speed issues at all on it. Anyone moaning about atom processors and perforance frankly doesn't have a clue.

The Pro tablets have advantages, full sized USB port, HD screens, pen input, great design, more powerful hardware and a lot more to be honest. As for an expected price for the Surface Pro 2, it's anyones guess really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭droidman123

Damn my finger is twitching! I have a laptop,a nexus 7 tab and a nexus 10 tab,so I don't need this.......but...but....but.....I want it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

These all have Intel chips, which in turn means that they do not run RT so no need to even think about that. Surface Pro only runs full fat windows 8, no RT.

My bro has a surface pro 2 and it is a savage piece of kit. I have a Asus 10" Windows 8 tablet with an Atom processor and it's fantastic also. Very quick, incredible battery life and not in anyway slow. Have never had any speed issues at all on it. Anyone moaning about atom processors and perforance frankly doesn't have a clue.

The Pro tablets have advantages, full sized USB port, HD screens, pen input, great design, more powerful hardware and a lot more to be honest. As for an expected price for the Surface Pro 2, it's anyones guess really.

Depends on your usage I guess, My wife got a Lenovo Yoga with RT on it and its perfect for her needs (College), the battery lasts 10 hours and its got the form factor of a really thing laptop and completely flips over into a tablet.

Far better than a Chromebook since it has Microsoft office and most apps these days are web based.

But yeh, if you want to run stuff like Autocad, Photoshop or play games then an x86 based machine is the way to go.

:)

• Advertisement

can you run azzures./vuze off this as if im thinking correctly, you have tyo get your "apps" from the windows store.

Im just wondering about legally downloading free content from like minded users or would i have to do that and then put movies/music onto the tablet?

Aslo, can i put vlc player on it? or is that a no too?

how restrictive are they in this regard? will i need to download codecs and all sorts of crap to watch stuff? will it allow me to download them even?

I, a wee bit skeptical.

lolosaur wrote: »
    can you run azzures./vuze off this as if im thinking correctly, you have tyo get your "apps" from the windows store.

Im just wondering about legally downloading free content from like minded users or would i have to do that and then put movies/music onto the tablet?

Aslo, can i put vlc player on it? or is that a no too?

how restrictive are they in this regard? will i need to download codecs and all sorts of crap to watch stuff? will it allow me to download them even?

I, a wee bit skeptical.

Any program you can run on your laptop will run on this. Simple as that.

You can put VLC, photoshop, firefox, vuze etc etc on it. It is the same as a Windows 8 laptop in that regard. No need to go through the app store to get applications on it, you can simply just browse to whatever website you want and download as normal.

The device is networked through Wifi so you can transfer to it by using that. Or pop files onto a USB stick. Again, it's the same as a laptop in that regard.

Think of it as a laptop, with no physical keyboard and a touchscreen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭droidman123

Just been reading some of the comments about this first gen surface on ibood, its making me a bit sceptical.some are saying there was a lot of problems with this tab that wernt really addressed until the surface pro 2.has anyone got the first gen that can comment on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,268 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I have a surface pro. I got it free so maybe my views are a bit one sided but I really like it. The screen is beautiful, the UI is quite easy to use and intuitive. I've mostly used it for browsing the web and playing minecraft and its perfect for that. I have microsoft office on it too but I haven't used ot for anything yet. I spent a very long time installing updates out of the box which was slightly irritating. I have the keyboard for it as well which I use all the time, not sure if thats included with this one though.

so tempted at one of these.

for 400 splods, what else could i get. would probably buy the keyboard for it too so your looking at 500 then.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Aldormanndiobla

Should I get it?

I saw the surface pro 2 in pc world earlier this week at 599, its gone up to 799 now..
    Going to wait until the pro 3 comes out and see if the price changes on the pro 2, been after one of these for a while now.

Advertisement