Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tracking, balancing and alignment.

• 30-11-2020 4:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭

Can the tracking and balancing and alignment be done in one go if you drop off your car to the garage or does it have to be done in stages? Does it matter if the 2 back tyres are newer than the front, and approx what cost for a 5 yr old car? Thanks people.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Whocare

Tracking alignment is same thing going rate for that in my experience €50 less if you're buying tyres too . I say max 80 euros and with balance all wheels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Can the tracking and balancing and alignment be done in one go if you drop off your car to the garage or does it have to be done in stages? Does it matter if the 2 back tyres are newer than the front, and approx what cost for a 5 yr old car? Thanks people.

Why are you getting alignment and balancing carried out? Age not really a consideration for requiring alignment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Car99 wrote: »
    Why are you getting alignment and balancing carried out? Age not really a consideration for requiring alignment.

I was told by the garage after a service that my tracking was a bit off but when i saw the place i normally go to for tyres, they advertise tracking,balancing and alignment so i presumed you could get the whole 3 things done together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

"Tracking" or "wheels alignment" are synonyms afaik.
    Completely different thing to wheel balancing.

Very often people mix them though.

Wheel alignment is a procedure which checks position/alignment of wheels on the car. It makes sure wheels are parallel to each other (according to settings specified by manufacturer). It makes sure that all angles under which wheels are mounted are correct. It's a procedure which applies to car (not wheels) ie. it's done by adjusting steering rods, adding adjusting shims, etc.. so in other words if you set wheel alignment on a car, and thereafter change all wheels to different set, alignment will still be rightly set - so it's the car which has its wheels aligned - not the wheels itself.
    Correct wheel alignment will provide right road handling as well as preventing excessive tyre wear or uneven tyre wear.

Wheel balancing is a procedure done on wheels (set of rim and tyre) where weights are put on rims to prevent tyre from vibrations during rotation.
    It has nothing to do with the car itself. You can balance set of wheels, but if you change wheels to different set, they'll need balancing as well. Balanced wheels will bo good on any car on which they are mounted.
    Right balancing of wheels will provide smooth ride. If they are not rightly balanced, you might feel vibration on your steering wheel especially at higher speeds. Also not balanced wheels will cause your wheel bearings on your car to wear faster.

Enough theory.
    To answer your question - yes - plenty garages will do wheel balancing as well as wheel alignment.
    Wheel balancing should be done always after fitting new tyres to your rims, and also periodically if you use your tyres for loneger time, or on demand if you feel vibrations on steering wheel when driving.
    Wheel alignment should be done from time to time, especially if you have suspicion it might not be set rightly (ie you observe uneven tyre wear, car pulling to one side, funny car behaviour on potholes, etc).

Price wise I'd think €40-€50 euros should get you wheel balancing. Normally it's included in price when buying new tyres.
    For wheel alignment probably €50-€60 should also be enough depending on how much out is it.
    But maybe I'm not up to date with current prices, as I don't live in Ireland anymore for 2 years now :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

I was told by the garage after a service that my tracking was a bit off but when i saw the place i normally go to for tyres, they advertise tracking,balancing and alignment so i presumed you could get the whole 3 things done together.

Tracking is part of 4 wheel alignment should cost €40 ish. If you have no vibration in your steering your balance is most probably fine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement