Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driver theory test

• 16-05-2020 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Ok so preparing away for the driver theory which will be put off now for another few weeks by the looks of it.

Gives me further homework time if nothing else.
    Not buying any CD's or books, so just working off online material and sources.

Reading a 270 page online version of the rules of the road from 2019
    https://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Learner%20Drivers/Rules%20of%20the%20Road.pdf

And then testing myself against an online mock test here

http://theory-tester.com/

Want to try and pass first time as now the covid will delay any possible insight into the current theory test.

Needless to say any insight from people who have done the test recently (prior to covid obviously) or have any extras to add to the above items, appreciate it. tnx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭andrewbrowne

A test taken there now on the mock site. Just wondering if its a good gauge to measure against

" Here are the questions you answered incorrectly:

1. What is a possible effect of over-filling the engine with oil?
    It could damage the oil pump.
    It could reduce the oil pressure.
    It could burst the oil filter.

It could damage the catalytic converter.
    It is essential that the vehicles engine is not over filled with oil as this can permanently damage the Catalytic converter which is part of most vehicles exhaust systems and removes up to 75% of the carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxide and hydrocarbons from the vehicles exhaust. Damaging this increase exhaust emissions.

2. In wet weather how might a driver judge what is a safe following distance from the vehicle in front?

By allowing at least two seconds to elapse between the vehicle in front and the driver?s own vehicle passing a fixed point.
    By allowing two vehicle lengths between the vehicles.
    By allowing at least four seconds to elapse between the vehicle in front and the driver?s own vehicle passing a fixed point.
    By allowing four vehicle lengths between the vehicles.

In wet conditions you should maintain a gap of at least four seconds from the vehicle in front ? at least twice as long as in dry conditions.

3. When driving on a hill, how should a steep descent be negotiated in snow or frosty weather?
    Engage a higher gear than normal in order to avoid wheel-spin.

Keep the clutch depressed and use gentle braking.
    Engage a lower gear early and use gentle braking applications to keep the speed down.

Always keep close to the left and use short, sharp brake applications to keep the speed down.

In snow or ice, a vehicle takes longer to stop. Before starting a steep descent in a large vehicle, the driver should reduce speed and select a lower gear, brake gently and only when needed. If the vehicle is fitted with a manually selectable retarder, engage it before starting the descent."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭marilynrr

I didn't get the book and only used that website you're using. I got 40/40. At least I think it was that one, it looked similar.

https://irish-theory-test.com/ - You could also use this one and do all the questions per category.

Cheers. That category based test site looks a cracker. Will try all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭nhg

The rsa theory test centres were one of the last to close when the lockdown came, they had reduced the number of tests and the section was sanitised between each test so hoping they will be one of the first to reopen again as they would be easily able to keep the 2M apart recommendation.

Best of luck with your test.

Driver Theory Test centres due to reopen on June 8th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

nhg wrote: »
    Driver Theory Test centres due to reopen on June 8th.

Where did you see this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,246 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Check out some of the theory test phone apps. I used one called iTheory and just kept doing the exercises over and over again whenever I had a free moment until I was getting 100% in all of them.

Worked for me anyway!

Where did you see this?

Got a general email on 15th of May to reschedule a test booked for 3rd June, when trying to reschedule was finding it very hard to get dates for local centres so rang them.

Yeah i am down for 2nd week in june as it stands. So would like to think that's been reflected by those dates someone above mentioned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

I went onto the theory test website and somehow it's only showing Letterkenny as a test center

But it does show availability for the beginning of June

I'd be optimistic about it though. It's possible it could change I think

• Advertisement

I do have to travel though. It wont be in my local centre. So not sure what the story is from centre to centre

Did i read somewhere that currently for the theory test there is a "bank" of a maximum of 800 questions.
    Some questions I've been reading have variations as to wording alright but once you know the critical information they are effectively the same question

If that's the case im flying :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 23 conor.golden

Yes I think it’s over 700 questions.
    Did i read somewhere that currently for the theory test there is a "bank" of a maximum of 800 questions.
    Some questions I've been reading have variations as to wording alright but once you know the critical information they are effectively the same question

If that's the case im flying :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

nhg wrote: »
    Got a general email on 15th of May to reschedule a test booked for 3rd June, when trying to reschedule was finding it very hard to get dates for local centres so rang them.
    Thanks but until it's on their websites I'll treat it as uncertain
    https://www.rsa.ie/en/Utility/News/Alerts/Coronavirus-COVIDID--19--No-Disruption-to-RSA-Services/
    Updates around the re-starting of tests will be published on www.theorytest.ie
    https://theorytest.ie/
    Due to HSE and Government guidelines all Driver Theory Test Centres will close from 25th March until further notice.
    Impacted candidates can reschedule their upcoming Theory Test to a later date.

I think they’re looking at trying to reopen the Theory and NDLS centres shortly into Stage 2. Stage 2 starts on 8th June.

I think they’re looking at trying to reopen the Theory and NDLS centres shortly into Stage 2. Stage 2 starts on 8th June.
    hope so. mine's in mid June so just a week after phase 2 starts. fingers crossed

They probably should be announcing the date soon so.

They probably should be announcing the date soon so.

I’d imagine it will have to be after Varadkar confirms we’re entering Stage 2. I think he’s due to do that on Friday

Update on theory test website

We are working to put the necessary steps in place to resume Driver Theory Test services. We hope, subject to public health requirements, that the service will be back up and running soon. It is currently possible to book online or call 1890 606 106 to book. Should the service not resume by the appointment date allocated to you an alternative date, or refund if requested, will be offered to you.

hmmm pretty vague all the same. Wonder how far up or down they are in the priority pecking order. I mean like a lot of retail is reopening Monday. One would imagine they've already been working on the cleansing and distancing stuff anyway (yeah just copped that in your post they are)

Just have to wait and see i suppose. I might sneak in another booking or 2 soon to cover myself

• Advertisement

I’ve mine booked for 2nd July soonest I could get hope it goes ahead.
    hmmm pretty vague all the same. Wonder how far up or down they are in the priority pecking order. I mean like a lot of retail is reopening Monday. One would imagine they've already been working on the cleansing and distancing stuff anyway (yeah just copped that in your post they are)

Just have to wait and see i suppose. I might sneak in another booking or 2 soon to cover myself

Ball is in their court now. Surely just a case of saying yes they are or no they aren't ready to meet requirements for the latest phase

Driver Theory Testing service will resume full service from 8th June 2020 in all locations. Please book here. Please note there will be some operational changes to implement recommended HSE safely guidelines.

From theory test website.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Just to add to the upcoming driving lessons and test backlog

Theory test on Tuesday. Have roughly a 90% mock test pass rate. Hitting 38/39/40 out of 40 in a lot of them. What could possibly go wrong :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭niamh247

There are absolutely no slots available for any Dublin centers until September. Does anybody know why? And when will the bookings open for Dublin? Have been trying since past 3 months :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭ultraviolence

i was booking mine last week and i was shocked how all the dublin centres had no availability but luckily i found a 9am slot for the 6th of july. it was either that or wait until september.

Thanks everyone for their help on here. 40 out of 40 today absolutely thrilled study paid off.

But dont want to hang around. My next step is getting the learner permit then

found this but not sure it applies or if some sections of it simple don't apply to me.

https://www.ndls.ie/images/Documents/LearnerPermits/D201_Learner_Permit_app_form.pdf

any help appreciated, the appropriate online version or links to this would be more beneficial so i can move faster with things

first time learner so no prior dealings with any of these types of bodies

• Advertisement

all this ?

Fully completed application form for a learner permit D201
    Original driver theory test pass certificate (dated within two years)

Photographic I.D.

Proof of your personal public services number (PPSN)

Evidence of address dated within the last six months is required if your current address is not recorded on your permit and it differs from that provided to the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection (DEASP) if and when you applied for a PSC

Evidence of residency entitlement, (if you hold a public services card and your place of birth or nationality are within the European Union/European Economic Area, it is adequate to present the PSC)

Fully completed NDLS eyesight report form, dated within one month

Fully completed NDLS medical report form, dated within one month, if required in your case

Evidence of certificate of professional competence (CPC), if required

Application fee of €35.00

Advertisement