Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

05-02-2013, 09:21   #1
Zero-Cool
Wanted Level

The Witcher 3

http://kotaku.com/5981680/the-witche...twork-revealed

Quote:
World supposedly 20% bigger than Skyrim's
30-40 minutes to cross world on Horseback
New streaming technology (CDRED Engine 3)
Geralt's Memory is restored
No chapters/acts
Dude is ****ing DONE fighting for everyone else
Everything from solving MYSTERIES to slaying monsters
Coming out on "all top-of-the-line" consoles - I'd say that confirms next-gen is in.
I'm mad to play either The Witcher 1 or 2 (stupid PS3!) Since it looks like this will be out on all next gen consoles, hopefully 1 or 2 will be ported to PS3 like the rumours going around.
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
05-02-2013, 09:31   #2
Ri_Nollaig

Yes sir! sign me up!
Loved the witcher 2!
1 was very good too but had a few annoyances (...the combat stances), still a great game. Great developer too who are happy to continue to support their game with updated content for free.
05-02-2013, 09:54   #3
Sir Digby Chicken Caesar
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Sir Digby Chicken Caesar
uuuuuuuuugh i dont know if I like that

witcher 1 and 2 were very focused stories, skyrim.... it was beautiful to walk around in but it was almost completely soulless. I hope they're not just doing the "x% bigger than skyrim" because they can and that they have some actual plans so that it doesn't suck in the ways skyrim did.
(4) thanks from:
05-02-2013, 10:11   #4
ShadowHearth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Digby Chicken Caesar View Post

witcher 1 and 2 were very focused stories, skyrim.... it was beautiful to walk around in but it was almost completely soulless. I hope they're not just doing the "x% bigger than skyrim" because they can and that they have some actual plans so that it doesn't suck in the ways skyrim did.
+1 on this.

Witcher was focused, so it had a great story and characters. I loved that in witcher games. I really hope they are not going skyrim way where it is quantity over quality.
05-02-2013, 12:38   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Digby Chicken Caesar View Post

That was sort of my immediate thought but I trust CDPR, they've been talking about their new engine:

Quote:
“With the REDengine 3 we combine the positive aspects of both approaches for the first time, creating an open environment with a complex, multi-thread story.”
So I reckon they'll pull something out of the bag.
Advertisement
05-02-2013, 12:44   #6
ShadowHearth

Quote:
Originally Posted by danthefan View Post
That was sort of my immediate thought but I trust CDPR, they've been talking about their new engine:

So I reckon they'll pull something out of the bag.
If there would be one developer that i would trust in to not fecking up, thats CD project Red. If they say that they can pull it off, then i am still naive enough to believe them.
05-02-2013, 14:08   #7
Azza

There track record is good so far. But they have only made 2 games.

The Witcher 1 was good but was a buggy mess on release.

Fingers crossed. The Witcher 2 was excellent.
05-02-2013, 14:12   #8
Mr Freeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azza View Post
There track record is good so far. But they have only made 2 games.
As long as EA doesn't buy them, we could be looking at something amazing.
05-02-2013, 14:30   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Freeze View Post
As long as EA doesn't buy them, we could be looking at something amazing.
Well there's a video posted on NeoGAF with some of the devs from CDPR and one of them says (heavily paraphrasing here) "we aren't interested in having some producer from XYZ company telling us Geralt can't have grey hair" or something, I think they definitely value their independence and hopefully they won't be bought out.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
05-02-2013, 14:35   #10
Azza

I dunno I think changing Geralts hair color could make the game sell an additional 3 millions copies. His hair color almost ruined the first 2 Witcher games for me. Hopefully, EA or Activision buy them out and change his hair color. Oh and make it a yearly FPS with lots of DLC map packs. They should bring in the Resident Evil 6 team and get them to corroborate with the guys who did the new DMC to oversee the changes. Are the Mass Effect 3 writers still available?
Thanks from:
05-02-2013, 16:25   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azza View Post
I dunno I think changing Geralts hair color could make the game sell an additional 3 millions copies. His hair color almost ruined the first 2 Witcher games for me. Hopefully, EA or Activision buy them out and change his hair color. Oh and make it a yearly FPS with lots of DLC map packs. They should bring in the Resident Evil 6 team and get them to corroborate with the guys who did the new DMC to oversee the changes. Are the Mass Effect 3 writers still available?
DMC has actually reviewed very well, not that I've played it.

All the extra content for TW and TW2 was all free which is pretty damn great, you could forget about that if EA or someone took over. Not going to happen though.
05-02-2013, 17:14   #12

"Open world" causes alarm bells to ring. Most developers who go down that route end up having no idea to make a story fit into that mould. Oblivion and Skyrim had really bloody dull main plots, and their worlds are populated with dead automatons. CDP know how to tell a good, more-or-less linear story, and the first two Witchers are phenomenal in that regard. I hope they do their homework before trying an open world game.

Still, a new Witcher game is hard thing to avoid getting excited about...
05-02-2013, 17:45   #13
Completionist

Isn't The Witcher 2(Perhaps TW1, I haven't played it) sort of open world anyway? You are confined to acts but within those acts you are free to do as you wish.

Providing the ability to travel around the world freely will cause some major problems story wise. Think Kvatch from Oblivion, You return after saving the city yet it is still burning and no matter how long you wait no attempt to restore it is made, The refugees still hide in the church and fires still burn. This is a major hurdle to overcome story wise, Do you just magically rebuild the city or abandon it? Leaving it burning for eternity is not a good way of telling a story and TW should never sacrifice story for open world.

You could compare Kvatch to the likes of Flotsam from TW2, I left that town a burning mess with most of the guards and citizens dead... What should I expect if I were to return? I suppose it could be a bandit camp or something now but that isn't exactly very deep story wise.

Imagine the quality of The Witcher plot lines having to be stretched across an area larger than Skyrim. What exactly fills in the gaps between the main towns? Pointless caves or bandit camps such as in Skyrim? Or does the story just be confined to areas at a time and the rest of the world is pointless padding?

It is a near impossible task to create a large world that has actual depth.
05-02-2013, 17:56   #14

The witcher games so far have had big areas for each act, but there was only linear progression from one act to another, and if you happened to return to an area later, the story had changed the place significantly, so it's not the same.

I'd be fine with an open world without a huge amount going on in the wilderness. When you couldn't take ten steps in Oblivion without stumbling across some bandit/cultist/quest-giving NPC, it ruined the immersion even further. I'd like to see something a little bit Mirror's Edge in open world games: Climbing a mountain should involve more than just following a steep path. When I'm out exploring I want to leap across deep chasms, I want to climb out on the limbs of trees to reach a vine I can grab to scale a cliff, I want to dive a hundred feet into a lake to get away from a scary predator. That's way more interesting than encountering bandits or goblins every 10 minutes. Morrowind did this fairly well, with some very cleverly designed ruins and temples, and the ability to levitate/fly to get places.

Kvatch was handled terribly in Oblivion. Look at Monterrigioni in AssCreed- It started off as a wreck, but got progressively prettier every time you came back. It wouldn't have taken much for Bethesda to have done something similar with Kvatch. Hell, even replacing the citizens cowering in the church with beggars roaming around the ruins would have been better than a whole town stuck at one point in time.
05-02-2013, 18:10   #15
Mr Blobby

Oh this makes me a happy chap .

Not entirely worried about the open world aspect, because I know Cd Projekt Red have the tools to keep me hooked.

Some cracking dialog in there also.

"Something's troubling me."
"What's that?"
"What does a bloody Witcher eat, anyway?"
"Eh, mushrooms?"
"Spuds?"
"Why spuds?"
"'Cause he's a human, like us. He sweats, he bleeds, prob'ly eats spuds, too."

Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic