Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What boardsies would you bring back?

Comments

Lucyfur wrote: »
    I've no idea who anyone is anymore. Kinda glad after reading through the last few pages of this thread :/

You're missing out :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

You're missing out :)

No I liked the olden days when reregs were obvious and the only one with 5million different accounts was that buck who used to be banned 5million times a day.

*stares into the middle distance*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Candie wrote: »
    I couldn't get my head around her at all, but in the end I felt some compassion for whatever it was that had her so hostile. Not an easy way to live or to be.

Was planespeaking and peterparker (she had a thing for spiderman) the same poster?

I thought they had similar styles anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,140 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Was planespeaking and peterparker (she had a thing for spiderman) the same poster?

I thought they had similar styles anyway

they were.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I've no idea who anyone is anymore. Kinda glad after reading through the last few pages of this thread :/

Can I still be Church on Tuesday?

It's just that this account takes up most of my Boards.ie browsing and in the late evenings I just like to relax with a cup of tae.

I mightn't be able to devote myself full time to the aul multiple accounts craic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

If Permabear II isn't the original, he has certainly done his homework.

No I liked the olden days when reregs were obvious and the only one with 5million different accounts was that buck who used to be banned 5million times a day.

*stares into the middle distance*

I think you do have a point here, something happened when the 'close your account' feature came in. Accounts became somewhat disposable, and I guess there's been a lack of continuity.

I'm only guessing that, because I think some of us are absolutely atrocious when it comes to names. I don't know if it's because I mostly use boards on my phone, or I'm actually a bit dim, but I only recognise about 15 - 20 posters names. I could have been arguing with someone yesterday and I wouldn't remember their username.
    A bit like street names, or reg-plates.

I don't think I'm the only one. This topic arose somewhere recently, and I reckon a lot of us only remember the posters who are here much longer than us, or posters we often interact with. Other than that, we're all pretty anonymous. And that's not a bad thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I would say having disposable account names has contributed allot to changing dynamic and atmosphere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I'd bring them all back, every single closed account, banned account, abandoned account,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I’d bring back hanging

hanginggardener, the chap hasn’t logged in since 2009.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

I think you do have a point here, something happened when the 'close your account' feature came in. Accounts became somewhat disposable, and I guess there's been a lack of continuity.

I'm only guessing that, because I think some of us are absolutely atrocious when it comes to names. I don't know if it's because I mostly use boards on my phone, or I'm actually a bit dim, but I only recognise about 15 - 20 posters names. I could have been arguing with someone yesterday and I wouldn't remember their username.

I don't think I'm the only one. This topic arose somewhere recently, and I reckon a lot of us only remember the posters who are here much longer than us, or posters we often interact with. Other than that, we're all pretty anonymous. And that's not a bad thing.

My theory is that we remember long names better than short ones. So you’re fairly memorable in this guise.

I also associate avatars. Srameen is Moe. I get a bit confused with other people using his avatar and wonder why they aren’t talking about flora, cups of tea, or David Attenborough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

FVP2 wrote: »
    My theory is that we remember long names better than short ones..

I see what you mean :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

I recently thought GDPR ruined boards.

Until I realised that the absolute asshats ruined it by taking advantage of GDPR.

Asshats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Whatever happened to BigTitsSally77 ?

Man, she used to send some great PMs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,018 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I recently thought GDPR ruined boards.

Until I realised that the absolute asshats ruined it by taking advantage of GDPR.

Asshats.

How did GDPR ruin boards? If people put their “personal” information on the site is it not voluntary?

Does that even fall under GDPR, I would have thought Boards.ie would have to request it for that to come into “play”.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

I could have been arguing with someone yesterday and I wouldn't remember their username.

Have you considered that this may simply be an indication that you're having too many arguments? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

How did GDPR ruin boards? If people put their “personal” information on the site is it not voluntary?

Does that even fall under GDPR, I would have thought Boards.ie would have to request it for that to come into “play”.

Data Protection/GDPR > Close account function > data deletion.

Close acct function with data deletion gave people the option to shed their boards baggage and start again.

Not that I disagree with it, it just reduced the feeling of community among long term posters. People I used to like talking to or reading posts from, closed their account and came back as someone completly different....mainly because the subtle level of accountability with owing a "permanent" account had been erased.

Now its just register, post shyte, wind people up, close account when people get sick of your shyte or your wind up didnt go the way you wanted, then re-reg.

Im a Re-reg myself of course but even I can acklowledge that the community feel is down and arseholery is up.....waaaaaaay up.

If people cant see the asshat...they are the asshat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

I'm the same, the vast vast majority of the handles on this website don't register with me at all. The only ones who would are yourself, and maybe three or four posters who like to crawl out from the gutter and take pot shots at me every once in a while.

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    I'm the same, the vast vast majority of the handles on this website don't register with me at all. The only ones who would are yourself, and maybe three or four posters who like to crawl out from the gutter and take pot shots at me every once in a while.

was reading a thread from last year, and the amount of closed accounts was very noticeable, shocking really. I think the close account feature has changed the whole 'feel' of the place, altough AH seems to have been getting back to more irreverent / irrelevant topics in the last while, which is nice...

anyway, I'd bring back Gimme A Pound, I always liked the name

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

was reading a thread from last year, and the amount of closed accounts was very noticeable, shocking really. I think the close account feature has changed the whole 'feel' of the place, altough AH seems to have been getting back to more irreverent / irrelevant topics in the last while, which is nice...

anyway, I'd bring back Gimme A Pound, I always liked the name
    Gimme A Pound still posts here under a different username. It's not me as I have a willy and she doesn't but I won't say who it is in case she doesn't want people to know. I can though be persuaded to reveal this information for the pricely sum of £1 or €1.16.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

I'd bring back Gimme A Pound, I always liked the name
    Thank you. Check my sig! The closure of that other account is an epic tale of admin error (I think - didn't ask; all I know is it was closed and scrambled, but then reopened, and then i just closed it).

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

banie01 wrote: »
    I can't remember the guy's name, but there was a lad who useta post over on the military forum who was a Walt of the highest calibre!

Useta post from "secret" locations and all! :pac:

Was it that Makomki fella?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,932 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Was it that Makomki fella?

Jesus no!
    Mak is quite quite genuine.

Investment and a few of his alter egos.

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Thank you. Check my sig! The closure of that other account is an epic tale of admin error

same...

Yer Da sells Avon is gone! :(
    That's a real shame, another funny poster leaves. I can only hope he is taking some time off to masturbate in the bushes before cumming back to Boards.

Bummer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭davetherave

banie01 wrote: »
    Jesus no!
    Mak is quite quite genuine.

Investment and a few of his alter egos.
    Vesty was great fun. I wonder is he still out in sandy places doing close protection for the sheik, or the milkshake ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Guy Person wrote: »
    Yer Da sells Avon is gone! :(
    That's a real shame, another funny poster leaves. I can only hope he is taking some time off to masturbate in the bushes before cumming back to Boards.

I'm pretty sure he just goes to a new account every 6 months or so. Can't remember any of his previous names but his style and content is recognisable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Erica74 hope she's doing ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I'm pretty sure he just goes to a new account every 6 months or so. Can't remember any of his previous names but his style and content is recognisable

He was RayM before. Had it on his YerDaSellsAvon account if you clicked in. Always found him funny even if I disagreed with his stance on a lot of things.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭Professor Genius

What ever happened to fat Gordon?

Weightwatchers plan. He saw a future in a more dashing; flash Gordon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Why is there so much waaah in this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Is that the neckbeard who used to write the "witty" replies in prison?

• Advertisement

I know right?! Somebody should call for a waaambulance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

And revered by his minions on here. ''Such a legend''. It's easy to kick someone when they're down. Never found any of that prison lark funny or necessary.

I liked Autecher. Seemed like a decent chap.

Hope he's doing OK.

Omackeral wrote: »
    He was RayM before. Had it on his YerDaSellsAvon account if you clicked in. Always found him funny even if I disagreed with his stance on a lot of things.

Likewise. We clashed initially, being on polar opposite ends of debate more than once. I grew to respect the strength of his convictions, and when the mood was light a mastery of comic timing. A unique voice like that is needed around here.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I met him once or twice. He was actually a fairly sharp, handsome fella.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Calhoun wrote: »
    I would say having disposable account names has contributed allot to changing dynamic and atmosphere.

I wish people would stop banging on about the loss of continuity re: closed accounts. The content that people post should be the barometer of a forum. If somebody returns after a closed account, they're still the same person, albeit over time maybe they've just dialled back or their views have changed as they get older. It happens, unless you're a rabid ideologue.

A lot of the people that don't like it often seem to be the kind of users that stuff out the matey flirty type threads in here, no issue with that but these days I just judge any posts by the content.

A lot of posters on here definitely got a easier time down the years because they were known boards personalities and /or part of private forums. Believe me, its true

Can see why the closed account thing is bad in terms of people wanting to cause trouble but for genuine users that may have had a multitude of reasons for closing accounts, the criticism often just comes across as Amp Test style old fogey cliquedom.

I liked Autecher. Seemed like a decent chap.

Hope he's doing OK.
    Yeah he's decent enough alright even if I say so myself, for I am he :)

Likewise. We clashed initially, being on polar opposite ends of debate more than once. I grew to respect the strength of his convictions, and when the mood was light a mastery of comic timing. A unique voice like that is needed around here.
    Bertie I hope you don't mind me asking you this here, I tried to send you a PM but you're not setup to receive them. How is your Father doing? I am going through something similar with my Mother at the moment so I just wanted to check to see how things were with you?

Bertie I hope you don't mind me asking you this here, I tried to send you a PM but you're not setup to receive them. How is your Father doing? I am going through something similar with my Mother at the moment so I just wanted to check to see how things were with you?

He's holding firm, thanks for asking. The glass is resolutely half-full! I'm sorry to hear your mother is experiencing a battle of her own, I can only offer you my warmest sentiments at this challenging time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

^^

Ah lads, I love it.

Best of luck to you both

Sorry to hear of that, Guy. I hope everyone is holding up okay, specially your mum.

Bertie, that's good news. I hope your heart is a little lighter for it. :)

Good luck to you both, life can be tough. X

Yeah he's decent enough alright even if I say so myself, for I am he :)

Nice one, welcome back!

Hope all is good.

For what it's worth, I had a sneaking suspicion Guy might be you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Dont forget Marksutton and beruthial who basically spent their time trying to convince everyone that they should be letting their partners sleep around, and that swinging was absolutely natural. Other notable contributions included their persistance in taking a weird aggresive slant on any man who questioned a womens fidelity over in the personal issues forum.

Let us not forget when Thaedydal let slip about her knowledge of human-dog relations :eek:
    What did she say? The only thing I found that she posted on that topic was this (name changed to nevyn) which is not positive about it
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?p=61995117

I do remember she was very excited about a BDSM event or festival and seemed to expect a greater response to her posts about it (the actual response was tumbleweed).

I remember DeVore used to say Beruthiel was hot. That was a dead giveaway that he was not sexually interested in women imo.

I met him once or twice. He was actually a fairly sharp, handsome fella.

are mods allowed alt accounts?

:pac:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Kirk Hammett is posting here?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement