Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm & second battery

Options
  • 14-10-2019 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

Howdy,
    Anyone done this? Fitted an alarm to their motorbike but not used the main battery? Heard some alarms can drain the battery so thinking of using a separate one to power? Would it have to be a 12v?
    Any issues that I'm not thinking of?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

sirmixalot wrote: »
    Howdy,
    Anyone done this? Fitted an alarm to their motorbike but not used the main battery? Heard some alarms can drain the battery so thinking of using a separate one to power? Would it have to be a 12v?
    Any issues that I'm not thinking of?

Cheers.

How will you charge the separate battery, Split charge relay?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sirmixalot

Not sure, I thought if I had an independent battery specifically for the alarm then It'd not need charging would it (well maybe once in awhile)?
    When you'd set the alarm would it not use minimal power? i.e the only time it'd use power is when it went off or am I being really naive here?
    Would the fact that when you arm the alarm it would draw a lot of usage constantly? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,901 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Not sure, I thought if I had an independent battery specifically for the alarm then It'd not need charging would it (well maybe once in awhile)?
    When you'd set the alarm would it not use minimal power? i.e the only time it'd use power is when it went off or am I being really naive here?
    Would the fact that when you arm the alarm it would draw a lot of usage constantly? Thanks

The alarm will be constantly drawing current when it's armed so it'll need some method to recharge, either split relay off the alternator or seperate charger.

If you are using your bike regularly for decent runs, > 30 min, then the alarm shouldn't affect the battery. If you aren't getting the bike out for regular runs then a trickle charger would be a better investment, as it'll maintain your battery along with keeping it charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Pretty sure most people with alarms on their bikes don't use a second battery. I'm sure anyone on here with an alarm fitted would confirm this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

zubair wrote: »
    Pretty sure most people with alarms on their bikes don't use a second battery. I'm sure anyone on here with an alarm fitted would confirm this.

correct: alarm & tracker and no issues, but I do keep the bike on a maintenance charger when not in use.

I have a newer bike (2018) and it has a Lithium battery and I've left that for periods with zero issues (can't use a std charger on it).

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

Thanks all, I commute 50km per day 5 days a week so guess it should not interfere with the battery too much, just thought it could drain overnight. Not used too much on the weekends but still think it should be fine, I'll install it over the weekend and see how it goes. Cheers,

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Thanks all, I commute 50km per day 5 days a week so guess it should not interfere with the battery too much, just thought it could drain overnight. Not used too much on the weekends but still think it should be fine, I'll install it over the weekend and see how it goes. Cheers,

Absolutely pointless as you are using it...

If it were a weekend bike then you would be best setting it up to trickle charger.

Absolutely pointless as you are using it...

If it were a weekend bike then you would be best setting it up to trickle charger.

Sweet, just wanted to err on the side of caution i.e fit it then the next morning when going to work it'd not start, had read numerous forums about battery drain but then as you all pointed out then if it's been used the majority of the week then I shouldn't have any problems with it.
    Will sort the weekend and update if there's any problems. Cheers

Sweet, just wanted to err on the side of caution i.e fit it then the next morning when going to work it'd not start, had read numerous forums about battery drain but then as you all pointed out then if it's been used the majority of the week then I shouldn't have any problems with it.
    Will sort the weekend and update if there's any problems. Cheers

The worst tracker I ever came across still took 3 days to kill a battery - you're nowhere near that, and an alarm is less demand.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Get a bigger battery.
    More ah for accessories or more cca for better starting.
    What bike is it?

• Advertisement

blade1 wrote: »
    Get a bigger battery.
    More ah for accessories or more cca for better starting.
    What bike is it?
    It's a VSTROM 1000. Might get a new battery anyway as it's been in it awhile so no harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭blade1

It's a VSTROM 1000. Might get a new battery anyway as it's been in it awhile so no harm.

A big V twin..
    I'd be more concerned about starting coming into the winter.
    I have this ordered for my Tuono.
    It's a little guy with a big punch.
    Cca is 230a.

Screenshot-20191016-184958.jpg

Can't go wrong with yuasa.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,901 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If you have access to a plug a trickle charger would be cheaper.

Unless the bike is struggling to start then there's no need to replace the battery.

Not all Yuasa are the same though, the US made ones are significantly inferior to the Japanese made versions.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Not all Yuasa are the same though, the US made ones are significantly inferior to the Japanese made versions.

I've never seen or heard of a US made one, do they make it over here?

The only way you can tell is by looking at the battery itself.File%3AYuasa_WaveRunner_Battery.jpg

zubair wrote: »
    I've never seen or heard of a US made one, do they make it over here?

Well the original battery in my H-D is branded 'Harley-Davidson' and 'made in USA' and lasted 10 years. I wanted to get the same again, and was quoted €270 by H-D Dublin for it. Ah, thanks, but no.

Now you, I and the dog in the street knows that H-D don't make any batteries - they just buy them in, badged.

Some minutes looking at it, and Google, identifies it as a Yuasa model number...and it's made in Florida. So I buy that model Yuasa directly from a wholesaler, for ... €90 ??

When I got it it's identical to the OE, right down to the font on part number, CCA, everything. Can't see why I won't get 10 years out of that.

Ode To The Motorist

Advertisement