Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad cough

Options
  • 06-10-2019 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

Anyone else get a bad mucusy cough after stopping smoking and starting vaping? I was willing to call it coincidence but this is 4 weeks on... Really reluctant to quit as it's really been successful otherwise in terms of no cigarette cravings etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭corkie

You may have an allergic reaction to PG/VG.

What device and ratios of liquids are you using?

If it is PG. Try using liquid with more VG and less PG.
    According to E-CigReviews(dot)org(dot)uk, allergic reactions to propylene glycol or vegetable glycerin, two ingredients that make up e-liquids, are possible although often rare. Symptoms of a propylene glycol allergy include dry throat, sore throat, swollen gums, skin problems and rashes, and sinus problems.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

corkie wrote: »
    You may have an allergic reaction to PG/VG.

What device and ratios of liquids are you using?

If it is PG. Try using liquid with more VG and less PG.

I'm using VIP Aspire and 6 percent double menthol pure vape liquid. Vegetable glycol is first ingredient. I don't have those symptoms just a wet cough that won't shift. Only since starting vaping. Worse after vaping. I don't vape all day or anything.

Think I'll try to cut down and quit over next few weeks. Or maybe restrict to nights out which is my cigarette achilles heel...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Those are PG symptoms, so won't apply to you.

I remember reading that menthol was contra-indicated as an additive in juices (and in cigarettes), not sure what problems it causes - google it.

Definitely try switching away from the menthol anyway.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nuttyboy79

When you stop smoking your body adjusts to the difference between smoke from a cigarette and steam from vaping this can cause coughing also you're probably getting rid of all the crud that's built up from smoking.
    One other possibility is you may just have a chest infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Dr Bill V1.5

maxsmum wrote: »
    Anyone else get a bad mucusy cough after stopping smoking and starting vaping? I was willing to call it coincidence but this is 4 weeks on... Really reluctant to quit as it's really been successful otherwise in terms of no cigarette cravings etc

Probably as stated already your body is emptying itself of all the smoking related gunk that's gathered in your lungs. Might be no harm to have a GP check to rule out an infection.

• Advertisement

Some people when they quit smoking have months if not years of clearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭macker33

Thats your body getting rid of all the crap you've accumulated over the years of smoking, cough wont last long.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I got a cold and then a cough, not a bad one, but every now and then Ill get a bit of a cough. Can take a year for your lungs (cilia ) to clear up.

Advertisement